Amp question... mono's?

dylan
dylan Posts: 453
edited June 2002 in Electronics
Is it generally 'better' to get mono or stereo amps than multi channel, given that other factors are equal (like watts and $$)? I guess it boils down to 'if I can get 3 mono blocks (or bridgeable stereo) for the same price as a 3 channel, which would be better?'. Does it help that each one has it's own power supply? I'm itching to get some mono blocks, I guess so I can start on the front 3 and work towards the surrounds... any thoughts?
Post edited by dylan on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Monoblocks are the way to go.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    I'd either go with monoblocks like Troy recommends, or, like I did. Use stereo amps and bi-amp your speakers if applicable.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2002
    I started the cycle with mono-blocks (3 of them) but have finally decided that two channel amps normally make more sense unless you are only going to drive two channels (stereo) and not bi-amp them. When driving two stereo channels you are better off to bi-amp them with 2 two channel amps. Mono blocks are pretty good for running a single 4 ohm sub.
    Now, Given that it costs you the same cash to buy two mono's as it does to buy one stereo amp it is still questionable. The mono has the benifit of a separate power supply so the initial thought is that it might buy you something. The truth is that if you bi-amp you would still be better off with a two channel amp for each speaker. The reason is (and you should read the amp litererature to confirm)that normally the power rating is dependent upon the power supply and the two channel amp can share the supply. This means when given the same power ratings that the two channel can supply more power to one channel than the other. This is really good for bi-amping because the highs draw less power than the lows so the lows can actually draw more than the rated power of the amp. (which is ok because the highs are drawing less)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    Agreed Max.....good point.

My point was that in a normal situation all else being equal, I'd rather go with, say, 3 monoblocks, one each or L,R,C than a 3 channel amp.

BDT
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited June 2002
    I agree with mono blocks, but I think you will spend more that way?
    The reason is (and you should read the amp litererature to confirm)that normally the power rating is dependent upon the power supply and the two channel amp can share the supply.

The word you used is can share. Most good 2 channel amps will have separate power supplys for the 2 channels? Well, my Yammies do!:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    That is interesting! I have never seen one that used separate supplies! I'm not doubting it because many go a different route for one reason or another but I don't see the point as far as the engineering goes. Way more cost and no real benifit? (that I see)
    madmax

• madmax
    edited June 2002
    A little more thought. Are there actually extra xformers in there or are they just separate windings on the same xformer with multiple capacitors for each channel. If they have multiple channel capacitors and a single xformer that will give you added headroom per channel but will still share. If they have completely separate supplies they will NOT share as I said. Interesting. I wonder what they are guarding against? Good point!
    madmax

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Talking out of my brown star of course, but if you have 2 power supplies in a 2ch amp, would that not be a dual-mono design?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2002
    Ed Zackery Russman
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    would that not be a dual-mono design?

I quess that is what you could call it? It does have 2 power transformers and power supplies.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    I thought 1 Toroid and multiple outputss stages? DC out to amps very important in uWave so I would imagine same concepts in audio.

Just a thought
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited June 2002
    HI:

Look in you receiver or amp and I believe you will see one transformer and probably two large filter capacitors. The transformer has multiple outputs that provide power to the amplifier. Each channel has it's own amplifier though.

Gary
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited June 2002
    my aragon amp haves two transformers, (toroid) and two sets of capacitors, and seperete transister boards , it is a dual mono design
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    Look in you receiver or amp and I believe you will see one transformer and probably two large filter capacitors. The transformer has multiple outputs that provide power to the amplifier. Each channel has it's own amplifier though.

I have not had this unit apart(never a need to). But what I "think" I know about the unit is that it does have seperate transformers, dual capacitors each channel and dual power supplies and has 8 output transisters on each channel(16 total).

Hell, I could be wrong? That wouldn't be anything new! Maybe I can find something on the web that would keep me from dragging it out and unhooking it and pulling it apart? If someone else wants to look for a Yamaha M-85 amp please do.
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    Mono or dual mono amps have the plus that each channel is completely separate. I know that is stating the obvious. Being separate would eliminate any crosstalk of the audio channels. Again though, if you use 2 two channel amps to bi-amp each speaker then you have no crosstalk either.
    madmax

• TroyD
    edited June 2002
    that's the point I was trying to make.....

BDT
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    Parasound made an amp a few years ago that was a true dual mono design. It actually used two power cords and two power switches.

Aaron
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    I think Carver had a dual mono design as well. Two mono blocs per channel sounds pretty nice! With sub that would only be 11 amps for a HT!
    madmax

• dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2002
    madmax001, you touched on something else I was wondering about... I have all the ht stuff on the same breaker... since the receiver would be using less juice, how close do you think i'm getting on a 20 amp breaker with a 45" Mits, 3 mono's (I'm trying to be optimistic here), receiver, dvd player, sub? I know diddly about electricity, and don't really have a ball park idea how much they use. Probably says in the owner's manual somewhere? Do they spike a bit at higher volumes, or do they draw the same?
  • nascarmann
    edited June 2002
    No prob with the 20 amp breaker? Well unless you get 3 frekin monster mono's?
  • madmax
    edited June 2002
    You can estimate how many amps you could draw. Take the wattage of the amp and multiply by about 1.5 (efficiency) and divide by 110.

A 500 watt amp would draw approximately:
    500 X 1.5 = 750
    750/110 = 6.82 amps