Finally SDA's

Options
Poee7R
Poee7R Posts: 904
edited August 2006 in Vintage Speakers
Hah as the topic says, Ive finally secured a set of (what i believe to be 2B's) SDA's. With the following of them here on the Polk Boards ive been interested for quite some time now. It was a bit fun at the end of the auction between myself and another, but a couple seconds and $2.50 won the day for me.

Ill be using them in an office setup which is practically near field. With a PAS 3 i picked up from faster100 an Adcom 545 and an integra cdp, new Tara lab ic's and my same old stinky HD 12g electrical cord speaker cables (haha which will be changing soon).

Working on arrangements to pick them up as they are about 80 miles from me. When i get home, hookem up and play my first track I will salute the Polk forums with a Crown & Coke and listen to SDA's for the first time.

Dave

This was the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-SDA-2-Floor-Standing-Speakers_W0QQitemZ170013831724QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71571QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Once again we meet at last.
Post edited by Poee7R on

Comments

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Looks like a good deal. Welcome to the Sda club.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Crown and Ginger baby...coke is for chicks. Enjoy!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited August 2006
    Options
    the 2b was my first SDA as well. your in for a treat. dont forget the option of swapping those tweeters for the silk replacements Polk has (especially if you find them a little bright).
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited August 2006
    Options
    SDA's and Crown neat is a match made in heaven, Enjoy!
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • Poee7R
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Im thinking ill have trouble getting to sleep tonight. :o

Dave
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Congrats on the "new" SDAs!

They may be 2As. I say this because I have Bs and As and the interconnect jack on the Bs is in the binding post cup, centered above the posts, the As have the jack, like yours, in the back panel. If the jack is pin/blade they're Bs, blade/blade they're As.

Either way, enjoy these great vintage polks!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2006
    Options
    congrats on your SDA's. go into listening to them with an open mind...

I say this because sometimes people expect to be blown completely away.. while the SDA's are amazing speakers... do plenty of critical listening for several days or weeks.

They don't need to be toed in either.. point them straight forward. about a foot from the back wall and about 2 to 3 feet from the side walls.

enjoy
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BrianTuk
    BrianTuk Posts: 2
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I have had my 1.2ts for several years. I was lucky. I stumbled upon them in a stereo shop that was trying to get rid of them about 10 years ago. I bought the pair for $700. I guess people had trouble with there size. Not me. I am looking to try and find some tweeters. I have 2 that are burnt. Fortuneatey 3 out of the 4 work on each speaker.

This was the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-SDA-2-Floor-Standing-Speakers_W0QQitemZ170013831724QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71571QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/QUOTE]
  • BrianTuk
    BrianTuk Posts: 2
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I have a couple of burnt 3000s what are the silk replacements and how do I find them ?
    BrianTuk:)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Ok, you have 1.2TL's, not 1.2t's. You want the RD0198-1.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Congrats on your new SDA's,you are in for a treat...Don't forget to check and see if your Adcom is a common ground amp.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Congrats on the SDA-2's! They are very nice speakers. I didn't see in the ad if the interconnect cable was included?

Carl
    Carl

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2006
    Options
    BrianTuk wrote:
    I have a couple of burnt 3000s what are the silk replacements and how do I find them ?
    BrianTuk:)

Are you absolutely certain they are blown?? If I were in your shoes, I'd swap one of the "bad ones" for one of the good ones to see if you get the same response. The tweeters are in a wierd fring order similar to a 4 cylinder engine. in that they don't all fire at the same time, which has led numerous Polkies to go out and buy replacements for tweeters that had no problems to begin with. At least check it out first, it only takes a few minutes and might save you some $$$s.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Poee7R
    edited August 2006
    Options
    No unfortunately the interconnect for the speakers isnt included, but from all the posts here i think i should be able to make one. Just have to see if the shack has blade style connectors that will fit.

Also, is anyone familiar enough with the Adcom 545 to tell me if its common ground, or can anyone point me in the right direction to find out? It isnt the II or anything, just a plain ole' 545.

Thanks Guys
    Dave
  • bert26
    bert26 Posts: 320
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Hey

The Adcom 545 should be common gorund. I used one to drive my SDA2a's once upon a time.

Cheers!
    Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP
  • Poee7R
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I won them lastnight, picked them up today, rewired drivers, made an interconnect cable....

And i just poured myself a Crown & Coke.
    Threw Tracy Chapman in the cdp, sat down, lit up a smoke and hit play.

Hmm, im not really sure how to convey my feelings yet.

Stage, stage, stage.
    The imaging is awesome. i lean back in my Caveocliner, close my eyes and start pointing at instruments. Tracy's voice is deep and natural, almost like a fiber type of quality, intricate yet smoothy layered. I have a feeling that more of my budget is going to go to CD's now instead of components, even though im sure im above the 1k mark on my collection.

Needless to say im gonna need a refill.

Salute!
    Dave
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    edited August 2006
    Options
    You're not getting off that easy. No more CD's until you upgrade the tweeters, buy a new CD player, pre amp and amp, then new cables and then.......

It never ends, ya know!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Poee7R
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Haha true, even though my wife would argue about it never ending. But then i crank it a bit and she flee's my cave. And yes im gonna order the tweeters in a few days once im used to the speakers so i can compare comfortably.

Dave
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Poee7R wrote:
    Haha true, even though my wife would argue about it never ending. But then i crank it a bit and she flee's my cave. And yes im gonna order the tweeters in a few days once im used to the speakers so i can compare comfortably.

Dave

The upgraded tweeters are a very good investment for your SDA's...make sure you state that you are a Club Polk member when ordering to receive the CP discount:D
  • univera
    univera Posts: 848
    edited August 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Crown and Ginger baby...coke is for chicks. Enjoy!

Tanq and Tonic, extra lime. Smoooooooth....:)
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team