Monitor 10s sound 'flat'

Options
GIJoker
GIJoker Posts: 2
edited August 2006 in Vintage Speakers
So I recently wanted to add some speakers to my stereo setup cus I was moving into my own place. As a way around spending money, I dug up my mom's old equipment and lo and behold she had a beautiful set of old polk cabinets. After doing a little research, I found that they were old monitor 10s. Now I only have one problem: they sound a bit off. Everything seems a bit flat and lacks definition and crispness - especially right in the midrange crossover area. I don't have much experience in the sound diagnosis area and any tips would be much appreciated thanks.
Post edited by GIJoker on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!

If the 10's have an external fuse on the binding post plate, make sure they're intact and have continuity. They complete the circuit, and provide protection for, the high frequency tweeters. If they're there and functional, listen with your ear close to each tweeter (and driver) to make sure each is outputting sound. If not, pull out the non-working driver(s) or tweeter(s) and make sure they are connected to the internal wiring. If so, they may be blown.

Good luck!
  • GIJoker
    GIJoker Posts: 2
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Ok so the fuses I threw in there when I found it were blown so I've put in a 1A 250V fuse that I had. It sounds fantastic, but I'm a little worried about the fuse. Does anybody know the exact fuse I should be using?

PS these speakers are pretty outstanding, especially considering they're several years old and have been through probably around 3 moves.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2006
    Options
    That fuse is fine.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Congrats on the Monitor 10's and welcome to the Club Polk Forums. MDBluepicker and Doro are great members and I'm glad they helped you with these fine speakers!
    Carl

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2006
    Options
    welcome to Club Polk.. congrats on those Monitor 10 speakers.. and thank your mom too. ha ha ha

enjoy. they will give you years of enjoyment, as long as you don't abuse them.

What other stereo equipment did your mom have? Might be something really good. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Flash21
    Flash21 Posts: 316
    edited August 2006
    Options
    If they have been sitting a long time a little break-in might be in order before judging...
    Steve Carlson
    Von Schweikert VR-33 speakers
    Bel Canto eVo2i integrated amp
    Bel Canto PL-2 universal disc player
    Analysis Plus Oval Nine speaker cables and Copper Oval-In Micro interconnects
    VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables
    Polk Monitor 10B speakers, retired but not forgotten