the white stripes

Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited June 2002 in Music & Movies
Can someone fill me in on this new music group? What is this? Any good?

MC
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Soon to be the brown skids

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2002
    new punk band, I kinda like the song they played at MTV don't think it will be in my CD collection
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited June 2002
    They did a very cool Lego based video. Should be on Kazaa somewhere.

- Steven
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited June 2002
    The verdict is still out on them in my book. That one song is okay, but nothing great. Sorry. :)
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2002
    It almost seems like there's a new lo-fi trend, with bands like the White Stripes and The Strokes. Very non-processed kind of stuff, which is kind of refreshing. You can check out their singles here, Hotel Yorba and Fell in Love with a Girl ... catchy stuff...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited June 2002
    Yes the lego video is cool
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Micah Cohen
    edited June 2002
    >> new lo-fi trend <<

I've noticed this too. Initially, I'm attracted to that. I want the rough and ready non-produced sound of like the first SABBATH album. But I can't help but think that even as "lo-fi" as they are, the simple fact that I'm seeing them on TV or seeing a video means that it is a totally calculated act. It's a scam. It's not "pure."

What did I hear about The White Stripes being an incestuous couple?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited June 2002
    I read a story that the 2 band members are either married or brother and sister, but like to keep it a mystery. Huh, ok, everyone needs a hook?
    As far as the music, I've heard the album once and liked it. The Strokes are pretty catchy too, if you haven't heard them. With today's mainly overproduced (look at these production credits for crying out loud), I wonder if any kind of lo-fi movement is just a reaction to that, and sounds better because it's different. I dunno, I guess that how music cycles, anyway.

One thing that caught my attention was when they did the MTV Movie awards, he did this great old school metal, heavy, heavy guitar work that rocked. He was going back and forth between songs, but I liked that he even played that way for a second. Good stuff.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited June 2002
    That's exactly what I saw: something on some stupid MTV broadcast, with like chicks dancing on a stage and it was just the guy and girl and he was really rocking out, sounding almost rockabilly, fairly honest and really harddriving. Was it a medley of songs I should have recognized? I couldn't tell, it sounded pretty cool. But, maybe I was just being lazy and accepting. Never be that.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    I've been diggin their first single too. It gets played on the radio here in Austin quite a bit.

Yes, the video is cool, their performance on MTV was cool, and yes it's like an oldskool late 50's early 60's rock sound. Rough, in your face, but damn good.

I can't say what the rest of the album is like, but Chris Rock says he loves em. heh Maybe someone will check it out and give us a review?