Can someone suggest a 12AT7 tube?

Options
jrlouie
jrlouie Posts: 462
edited August 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Hi all,
Just wondering if you all would be so kind to suggest a set of 12AT7's for me to use? I previously had my Dared SL-2000A on my LSi's, and now have them on my NHT-SB3's. The metal tweet along with the fact that I just moved into a new apartment full of hard surfaces, has decreased the mellow sound I used to get.
I'd like suggestions for different tubes known for emphasizing that tube sound and being more mellow than others (laid back, not shrill, not harsh, warm, etc.). I'd even say any tube that's heavy on the low end, light on the highs.
I currently have some Mullards(ECC81) and a set of JJ/Tesla's, and of course the factory provided Chinese set.
I'm not looking for a large purchase if possible. Maybe a max of $50 or so.

Thanks!
Post edited by jrlouie on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited August 2006
    Options
    If those Mullards didn't mellow it out, you have bigger issues. You'll probably need to deal with room treatment and/or the speakers.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I second, mullards and bugle boys will tame most harshness..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • jrlouie
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I for sure have other issues. Room treatments just aren't feasible right now. It doesn't sound terrible, just not as sweet. I plan on eventually working a tube CDP into the mix (currently just have a cheapo run-of-the-mill Kenwood changer), again just not feasible right now.
    I’ll consider the Bugle Boys. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Early B.
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Have you tried putting the Lsi7's on the 2-channel rig temporarily so you can determine if the metal tweeter in the NHT's is the major culprit?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• jrlouie
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Have you tried putting the Lsi7's on the 2-channel rig temporarily so you can determine if the metal tweeter in the NHT's is the major culprit?
    No I haven't. Probably a worthy experiment. We shall see ;)
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited August 2006
    Options
    I've had good luck with 12AT7 British Military designation (CV4024) Mullards. Transparent without being analytical--which is what I like in a preamp. The tube output CDP in the future could probably "warm" your overall sound. Good luck!
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2006
    Options
    The Telefunken is the most laid back and tubey sounding one I've heard.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jrlouie
    edited August 2006
    Options
    Over the lunch break, I listened to two songs on the NHT's, switched them out and listened to the same two songs on the Lsi's, then switched back to the NHT's and listened to the same 2 songs.
    I will admit the NHT tweeter in my setup doesn't sound terrible. Not necessarily harsh in comparison to the Lsi's. They just sound different. It’s hard to explain other than the NHT’s have a little more oomph down low and just a tad more zing on the cymbals.
    It was probably incorrect of me to make my complaints as an attribute of the tweeter. I don’t know, it might be playing a role, but I wouldn’t say I dislike the tweeter.
    I guess ultimately I’m just looking for a slightly different sound, just a little mellower, tweeter’s fault or not.
    Thanks again for the additional tube suggestions.
  • Early B.
    edited August 2006
    Options
    OK, cool. Sounds like it may be a room thing. Perhaps once you soften up the hard surfaces in the apartment, things will mellow out a bit.

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2006
    Options
    You can also look for some Siemens(German), and I'll second the Telefunken and BBs. When I did a comparo with the Dared-vs-Dodd ELP, the Siemens that HTRookie brought with the Dared sounded much nicer than the Mullards he had brought, also.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"