JBL, Clarion or Infinity With Polks For Boat

KyLake
KyLake Posts: 29
edited August 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
With MMC6500 would you rather have JBL, Clarion or Infinity marine amp? I was thinking (two) JBL MA6004 (four channel) amps would push the mmc6500's good.

Why i am asking i am trying to match amp or amps with the speakers. If i get MMC650's the Clarion 4 channel amp marine amp at 80 rms would match nicely.

Thanks for any input and advice on which brand marine amps people like in here. What i have read in the specs i like the JBL and Clarions but i am very much a rookie with speakers and amps.
Post edited by KyLake on

Comments

• KyLake
    edited August 2006
    I went with JBL. JBL GTO75.4II. With two sets of mmc6500's.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    That wouldve been my choice between the 3 as well. JBL makes nice amps.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • KyLake
    edited August 2006
    Thanks MacLeod. I ordered the JBL and they was out of stock and was going to have to look for one and it was going to delay me and they had an Alpine in stock i got. It is an Alpine MRV-F545. It is not listed as a marine amp but my boat is under a cover and out of the rain. The amp will also be in a place it would never get any water and this is fresh water. I really liked the JBL for the price and this Alpine was alot more and i hope it was just as good as the JBL.

The last notice i had they was shipping my amp the next day and then emailed about them out of stock and was looking and this is why i got the Alpine and it will be here Monday or Tuesday. Is the Alpine a good amp also?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited August 2006
    The Alpine amp is better than the JBL, and by no small margin.

Why do you want two 4-channel amps for just one set of MMC6500?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • KyLake
    edited August 2006
    The amp i bought is a 4 channel amp. I hope it outputs close to 125 rms x 4. I have 4 mmc6500's as i ordered two pair of these and needed a 4 channel amp for 4 speakers.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2006
    I have the MRV-F345 (the 545's little brother), and it is very nice. Clear, good highs, punchy mids. Couldn't have asked for more, except maybe the MRV-F545 ;) .

The 345 is rated at 75X4 watts and actually puts out over 80X4. Your 545 will do better than the 125X4.

It'll take 4 guage power and ground wire, too. Might be worth running that to yours if you can- especially if you're going with multiple amps. I'll bet you like it. If you don't like it, mail it to me :).
  • KyLake
    edited August 2006
    Thanks Greg on the information. I am proud to know that i would get 125 or even more out of mine and on how good yours sounds.

I have wondered about battery consumption but i wouldn't be sitting around playing it without the motor cranked and moving.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited August 2006
    I'd guess a marine application deep cycle would allow more "key-off listening" time than a typical automotive 12V battery. There are some other posts you could search that talk about this.

You could probably get away with a pretty good listening session without draining the battery, but a few hours would probably be a bad idea without a second battery and an isolator.
  • KyLake
    edited August 2006
    I have a deep cycle marine battery, cranking battery and it has always been really good. I have two other batteries just for the trolling motor.

I just opened these speakers up or the box and those mmc6500's seem heavy. They look good and i'll take some pics after i get them and the Alpine hooked up on the boat.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited August 2006
    C400.4 of course! :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • KyLake
    edited August 2006
    At some point with my setup, what head unit do alot of you like in here? I have a marine Clarion head unit now. Would a head unit like the Alpine cda-9857 work better with the Alpine MRV-F545 and give me better and more options? I do not have an ipod but at some point i plan on getting one. The Clarion i have will not read cdr or cdrw and you can't play mp3's on a disc.

I read alot of people in here seem to love Eclipse. Even if it isn't a 2006 model head unit or an older one, what are some that would match up nicely with my 4 mmc6500's and the Alpine MRV-F545 and would be ok with an ipod?

Thanks again for all the help.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    Im a big fan of Alpine but their 06 lineup of HU's is kind of lacking.

Clarion makes a nice HU so Id say pick the one with the features you like and best meets your budget.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • KyLake
    edited August 2006
    Thanks Macleod
  • dannyhightower
    dannyhightower Posts: 8
    edited August 2006
    I have 2 pairs of 6500's in my boat. I first used with passive xovers and biamped them with two sets of Fosgate 4004 amps. I couldnt get much volume on them before the amp would go into protection. I then tried several variations with the final one being 2 speakers per 4ch amp. The fosgates would still shut down. In the end I bought 2 of the C400.4 and used the pre eq setting. I got to run both side by side (C400.4 = active vs. Fosgate Passive) at moderate volumes and could hear a MAJOR difference in SQ. At first I didnt beleive the C400.4 was worth it but now all that has changed. I know it costs more but if you are going for the 6500 that says something. GO the distance and get the perfect amp for it.
  • KyLake
    edited August 2006
    Thanks Danny, if i couldn't have gotten the Alpine MRV-F545 amp, i was going to get the Polk amp next and they had the Alpine in stock. My syuff is getting hooked up now. I'll report back when i get them hooked up and listen to them.