Welcome back and want to upgrade my system

SamSagaZ
SamSagaZ Posts: 321
edited August 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, long time i dont post here :)

now i want to upgrade my system i was removed one of the subwoofer i really think that 2 12" Subwoofers are too much, so i removed one. now i want a little more of louder in my car. NOw i have
1 Pair of MMC6500
1 MM2124
1 C400.4
1 C500.1

i really dont know what to purchase i was thinking abt purchase a pair of MMC690 and put it in the back of the car, what do you think guys?
Post edited by SamSagaZ on

Comments

• dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited July 2006
    A pair of rear speakers wont do much for your SQ or imaging really. All they can do is hurt. But having the rears faded out a bit can add some good 'fill.'

Well, if you wanted to improve your system, I'd suggest upgrading your fronts.

But you said you wanted louder. So I'd look into different subwoofers.

I'm pretty much a newbie at this, I'm sure some of the more 'seasoned' members can chime in with ideas.
  • SamSagaZ
    edited July 2006
    well i removed one subwoofer because i really dont like how the car sound with 2 subs, now i think that the sound is better :)

dont know what to do!!! :D
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited July 2006
    SamSagaZ wrote:

dont know what to do!!! :D

Welcome to the club...

Heck I just put in my system less than a week ago and I'm already looking at upgrading...

This hobby, not SANE.

As for your system, are you just looking for more volume, bass, sq or what?

What do you have in the rear right now? Stock?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    That system will already put out enough volume to make you deaf already.

You can add another set of 6x9's in the rear and another amp and youd get maybe 3 db more volume.

If you want more volume, stick your other sub back in there. 150 watts to a set of components is a lot of power.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    well, i dont want to put the sub back :D i like how the system sound now. i just think that im wasting a lot of power of my c400.4 biamping the components, maybe can use each channel to an diferent set of speakers, and use the xover that come with the mmcs.

i really are not 100% happy with my system and dont know why :( i really dont like how it sound.

Now i see that the sub works better, (too much better). Too much distortion if use 2 subs in parallel.

maybe i will try putting the mmcsxovers back and use just one channel for each set of speakers, and see if i like how it sound!

if this sound better, i can goto and just pick up an set of 6x9 momo speakers and add it to the rear channel.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    Just tune it til it sounds better.

Invest some money in a good EQ and go to it. That will do a lot more towards making your system sound better than buying more speakers. Youve got not only excellent speakers AND amps but youve also got plenty of them to have a great sounding system.

TUNE IT!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    wow, its amazing i know what is the problem :S

i just set the Head Unit as normal (without active xover, DSP), so i turn on the Auto EQ of the C400.4 amp, and .... turn UP the gains :D

now sound better, too much better!

i think that the problem was the gains, these was too low, now i have like 2oclock on rear and 12 o clock on front channel of my c400.4. Turn me deaf in like 20 minutes (while i was setting the gains)....

the gain of the C500.1 i turn it up to maximum and lower the amount of power with the gain control.

Is that ok?
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    in the past i was using the gains too low, because i was scared abt broke the mids/tweeters
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    The Xover of the AMP is better than the Xover that come with the components?
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    SamSagaZ wrote:
    wow, its amazing i know what is the problem :S

i just set the Head Unit as normal (without active xover, DSP), so i turn on the Auto EQ of the C400.4 amp, and .... turn UP the gains :D

now sound better, too much better!

i think that the problem was the gains, these was too low, now i have like 2oclock on rear and 12 o clock on front channel of my c400.4. Turn me deaf in like 20 minutes (while i was setting the gains)....

the gain of the C500.1 i turn it up to maximum and lower the amount of power with the gain control.

Is that ok?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

DO NOT turn the gains of ANY amp all the way up!!!

The gain is not a volume control. All it does is match the input of the amp with the output of the head unit.

Say your head unit is at 50% with the volume at 20. Well, youd want your amp to be at 50% at that point too. If you set your gains too high then the amp could be at 80% when the volume is at 20 so if you crank the volume up to say 30 then the amp could now be at 110% at which point it will be clipping and most likely turning your speakers into really fancy paperweights.

Your gains should seldom be set any higher than the noon position. You should turn the rear gain on the 400.4 down to noon and then readjust the front gain to match where you like it.

As for the sub, turn the gain down! If its not loud enough you might want to look into getting a 2124 DVC so you can run your 500.1 at 2 ohms and get more power that way.

• SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    well if i turn the gain down of the subwoofer i dont heard anyting from the sub :S

i just heard the sub if put the gain like 3 o clock :S

looks like i need to turn down all the gains :S

DAMN DAMN DAMN, so im not happy with my sound again :D

i think that 90W of RMP power need to sound louder than what i have!.
  • SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    if the manual say that my amp have 75w/ch its with the gain all DOWN?

i dont hear any distortion using the gains high :S

i cant beliave it :(
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    OK. Do this.

Unplug the subwoofer and front channel RCA's (Im assuming youre bi-amping your 6500's). Turn the gains all the way down.

Now turn your head unit up to 75% (if your volume goes to 20 then turn it up to 15).

Stick in a well recorded CD that you normally listen to and begin turning up the gains until you hear the speaker distort. After you hear the distortion, back off the gain a little.

Now adjust the front gain to where it matches best with the rear gain which will probably be a little less than the rear.

Now turn up the sub gain til it best matches.

• SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    ok, i will try with another CD, but last time in dont heard any distortion while i was turning UP the gain, just noticed an distortion like at 3:30, so i lower it to like 2:30-3:00.... :S
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    Make sure it is a well recorded CD with good midbass response.

Some CD's have really weak bass especially in the rock genre.

Midbass and bass will be a better indicator of when youre overdriving your speakers.

• SamSagaZ
    edited August 2006
    have you some recomendation ? i can download some tracks from the net to set the gains.
  • MacLeod
    edited August 2006
    It depends on what you like to listen to.

Wont do you any good to tune it for jazz if you listen to rock.

Just use one of your CD's.