Extra in a Zombie film

zombie boy 2000
zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
edited June 2007 in The Clubhouse
So they're filming this zombie movie a couple of blocks from my home... and are putting out a blanket request for extras.

Check it out: http://www.deadmoonrisingmovie.com/

Since I've been a wee lil' lad, I've always had a special place in my undead heart for zombie flicks of all kinds (check screenname:D )

Seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity...

What do you guys thinks? Anyone ever been an extra? Are the hours spent in makeup and time involved with zero pay worth the experience?

Jason
I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
Post edited by zombie boy 2000 on

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,994
    edited July 2006
    Do it or you'll kick yourself in the A$$ down the rad for not doing. If anything it;s an experience you'll never forget.
  • joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited July 2006
    Just be prepared for a lot of standing around and doing nothing between shots.
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • Drumingman
    Drumingman Posts: 348
    edited July 2006
    Hey, you are the Zombie Boy :eek:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2006
    Dude, go do it. Why even ask? If you're into it and it's not costing you anything it will be at the very least a conversation piece for the future.
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2006
    Do it.

I had a chance to be in a rap video. They went on the air localy looking for bikers to come and ride around.

I didn't go and always wished I had.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    Do it.

I had a chance to be in a rap video. They went on the air localy looking for bikers to come and ride around.

I didn't go and always wished I had.

Sky... They're calling for both zombies and bikers.. This could be your chance to make ammends with your past:D
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Skynut
    edited July 2006
    Louisville, KY here I come. :D
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited July 2006
    Revenge of the Biker Zombies?
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited July 2006
    If they were filming a movie about Bobs near my house, I'd definitely be an extra....
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2006
    I know George Romero is notorious for unleashing hordes of "zombies" upon the streets of Pittsburgh -- his hometown where he films all of his movies. Supposedly, it's quite a sight to see the "undead" dining out or doing their grocery shopping as it has become somewhat of a tradition to remain in make-up even when the shooting stops. Lots and lots of extras with lots and lots of gruesome makeup.... if shooting stops at a reasonable hour, it should be a blast just to head out to the surrounding bars and clubs.:D
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited July 2006
    bobman1235 wrote:
    If they were filming a movie about Bobs near my house, I'd definitely be an extra....

What About Bob? II: The Revenge:D
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2006
    What? No pay? That's kinda weaksauce. I'd still do it if it was on my day off.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited July 2006
    Do it, it'll be fun.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2006
    Go for it & have fun!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited July 2006
    I know George Romero is notorious for unleashing hordes of "zombies" upon the streets of Pittsburgh -- his hometown where he films all of his movies. Supposedly, it's quite a sight to see the "undead" dining out or doing their grocery shopping as it has become somewhat of a tradition to remain in make-up even when the shooting stops. Lots and lots of extras with lots and lots of gruesome makeup.... if shooting stops at a reasonable hour, it should be a blast just to head out to the surrounding bars and clubs.:D

The parents of a friend of mine were extras in "Night of the Living Dead". They got on film but never made it into the "final cut". They were done up to look like zombies, waited around at a local mall here in Pittsburgh and were filmed. This was back in the late '60's!!!
    Carl

• unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2006
    being an extra SUCKS!!!! Especially in the summer... Ugh, bad memories.

That said, you gotta do it a least once. It's worth it for the experience and being able to say you did it.

PS. I'm in the balconey at the end of Patch Adams. The other two the cameras missed me or it ended up on the cutting room floor.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited July 2006
    Willow wrote:
    Do it or you'll kick yourself in the A$$ down the rad for not doing. If anything it;s an experience you'll never forget.
    Totally agree. Why would you NOT!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited July 2006
    Do it if you can swing it. I was an extra (background artist as they called us) in Sweet Home Alabama. Great time we had. Actually got paid to look at Reese W. for about six weeks :p
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2006
    Saturday was the big day, and I am so glad that I decided to take part in the filming. Yeah, it was a lot of standing around in the heat, but fortunately there was a biker bar right at the corner of the block they had closed off for the shoot. Needless to say, the libations were flowing and everyone was having a great time.
    The director just did his thing atop a cherry picker with a megaphone, and about two hundred of us zombies just charged down a street toward a group of bikers three or four times. Speaking of which, there must have been a biker for every zombie -- so you can imagine what this must have looked like. Gore abounded, bikes revved, the undead moaned, and passerby's gawked. Definitely cool stuff...

Now for the really cool part.... after doing multiple shoots of a zombie-mob scene, the director told everyone to take a break -- so we all crowded into the bar to wet our collective whistle. While the wife and I were sitting down, the director came over and asked to take a look at my wife. He actually moved her face to the side, noted her profile, and asked if she wanted to be in a scene. The only decription he gave was that it would take place in the back of a Hummer limo and would involve a sleazy businessman and couple of other girls....:eek:

So I waited about an hour and a half (had a couple more beverages). When she came back, she said all she had to do was sit and nod her head to the music, while two scantily clad women of ill-repute draped themselves over this character named "Dick". Did I mention this film will probably be a Troma release? He would roll down the window, look at all the post-apocalyptic carnage, and laugh maniacally. That's a wrap, and so on....:D

Even if it ends up on the cutting room floor, it's still a cool conversation piece. Let's just hope the editor is smart enough not to include any shot that shows my wife as a zombie and then later as a "girl in limo". If only Mystery Science Theater was still around:D
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited August 2006
    Awesome! Glad to hear you did it. Troma? haha, well that'll always be interesting.
  • Skynut
    edited August 2006
    Sounds like a fun time.
    Lets hope they don't show your wife pleasuring the buisness man. :D
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited August 2006
    Skynut wrote:
    Sounds like a fun time.
    Lets hope they don't show your wife pleasuring the buisness man. :D

Yeah, let's hope they weren't filming another "movie" in an adjacent parking lot:eek:
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007
    I know why they call it the "Hummer limo".

April 2, 2007

DEAD MOON RISING, a 93-minute Zombie Romantic Comedy, has won the Audience Award for BEST FEATURE at Cine-Fest 2007.

Cine-Fest 2007 ran March 30-April 1st in Louisville, KY. DEAD MOON RISING played to overflow crowds, and the event organizers had to hold an additional showing on Saturday to accommodate the crowds.

The award was presented at the wrap ceremony at O'Malley's Corner on Sunday, April 1st.

The cast & crew of DEAD MOON RISING would like to thank all that packed the screenings and cast your votes. We could not have won without your overwhelming support! The web site will be updated shortly to show off our laurels. You should check it out.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited June 2007
    I was an extra in the first three Under Armourcommercials. They are pretty cool to watch (can only actually see me in one scene). It's amazing how long we shot for a minute spot. They were fun though. Gives definition to the phrase "Hurry up and wait."

Shawn
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    i hate zombie movies.. they all look to fake to me. i have never seen a well done zombie movie, ever.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2007
    Shaun of the Dead rocked!
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »
    i hate zombie movies.. they all look to fake to me. i have never seen a well done zombie movie, ever.

I thought the new Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later were both pretty "realistic" looking... I mean, as far as the walking undead go.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited June 2007
    Do it if you can swing it. I was an extra (background artist as they called us) in Sweet Home Alabama. Great time we had. Actually got paid to look at Reese W. for about six weeks :p

You lucky, lucky ****.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited June 2007
    danger boy wrote: »

Dems fightin' words:p
  • zombie boy 2000
    edited June 2007
    PolkThug wrote: »
    I know why they call it the "Hummer limo".

I thought it was tastefully done:p