Crossover settings for MMC6500

dannyhightower
dannyhightower Posts: 8
edited July 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm going to Biamp my MMC6500's without the polk amp but I will use the passive crossover per Polks wiring instructions. Can someone tell me the crossover settings I use should use for my amps active crossovers?

Thank you in advance.
Post edited by dannyhightower on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited July 2006
    If you are just looking for a good high-pass setting to use on your amp with those speakers (through the supplied crossover), try around 80hz and experiment from there. You only need to worry about the lowest frequencies being set right, because the supplied crossover will take care of the tweeters.

If when high passed at 80hz you still get some mid bass distortion at your typical listening volume, raise the crossover point. If your speakers play lower frequencies OK without distortion, you could set your high pass for lower- say in the neighbourhood of 60hz.

If you are not using a sub in your system, you could run them full range (but the lowest frequencies will not have much volume and will distort at higher volume levels).

The distortion you get will depend on a number of things:

-integrity of your install

-amplifier power, and proper gain matching to your head unit

-type of music played

-volume level played at

So... you may have to try a few crossover points before it's right for you.
  • dannyhightower
    dannyhightower Posts: 8
    edited July 2006
    Thank you for the detailed reply. I have 2 Rockford 15's and all of this is in a boat. I think 80hz is a good place to start.

When researching this I read a post here that refered to removing the crossover all together if using a Polk 400.4 amp. If I have the ability to crossover with a non POlk amp and thus remove the passive from the picture what would I set the crossover points to?

Thanks again!
  • hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited July 2006
    I have a set of MMC6500 and have them crossed over at 80hz. I mainly listen to metal, but wife listens to R&B, Dance, Hip Hop at times. All those formats sound good at a high volume.
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited July 2006
    When researching this I read a post here that refered to removing the crossover all together if using a Polk 400.4 amp. If I have the ability to crossover with a non POlk amp and thus remove the passive from the picture what would I set the crossover points to?

When running them with no passive crossovers, band pass the mids from about 80- 4k, and high pass the tweets at 4k. Be careful, as lots of amps are hard to set exactly (some, like old PPIs had detents and a chart which was great), so set the tweeter high pass as high as it will go and work down slowly. You're best off with an RTA to see what frequencies they're playing.

If you're using some of the new fancy digital pieces that many companies produce it should be a piece of cake.