New SR subs

2»

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2006
    I kind of figured they had the W6v2 in their sights when I saw the promo shots of the SR subs. There are some design similarities in the styling of the cone and basket- not in a knock off kind of way, but in a heavy duty built excursion capable kind of way.

I am very familiar with the W6s, and am sort of using them as a benchmark. I just didn't want to say the JL word. Oops.

Dont worry about it. There are only a couple bandwagon JL haters around here.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited July 2006
    Sorry, but for $400+ this driver doesnt look anything special just from a quick look at the t/s spec's. 16mm of xmax is a joke now & the Fs of 30hz isnt that good. For the price I would much rather have one of the new drivers from TC sounds www.tcsounds.com/tcproducts.htm
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    You may be the only guy Ive ever met that can tell how a sub sounds from the specs.

How bout ya wait til you hear one before you start trashing it.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Meeks32
    edited July 2006
    Sorry, I come from the DIY Ht sub area & looking at t/s spec's is just habbit. Im sure they wont sell for the $400 retail price but I do stand by my comment of buying better for the money from TC sounds. For less money you get a sub with a LMS motor & double the excursion, & tc subs are some of the lowest distortion subs you can buy.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2006
    and everyone knows that x-max is a great deciding factor when buying subs:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    Ill stick with my Polk.

Im holding my own and beating guys with Focal, JL and Quart's. Not too bad from a measly single 10 with half the power the other guys are using.....not to mention half the price.

• Meeks32
    edited July 2006
    If the sub is in a sealed enclosure, yes its important since excursion increases 4x everytime you drop 1 octave and without the aid from a port in lower frequencies, the driver is left to do all the work. I know its not as big of a deal in a car when you get tons of cabin gain, so Im just nitpicking. Im not trying to start arguements since im a huge polk fan myself, but I was just hoping polks entrance into the "supersub" market would be a little bigger & badder. While im sure this is a great sounding sub, you could always just buy a new Dayton High fidelity or ID idq for much cheaper if thats what you want.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited July 2006
    With a power handling of 750 watts, I dont think this sub will have any problems getting loud for what a sq system needs to do.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    And, as mentioned, this is an SQ sub. Its not supposed to be cranking out 160 db's. Its about sounding very good.

As for getting low, my 2104 has only 18mm of Xmax but yet can hit the 25 Hz note in one of MECA's test songs. Thats pretty good considering its in a box .10 smaller than its spec'd for.

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2006
    I only know of one person here who truly does not like JL, who is the other Mac?

I think that Xmax you are claiming is mechanical, which is misleading I think. My TC Sound sub from Soundsplinter had 20mm of linear Xmax, but the mechanical limit is actually more than that. Take for example a test done on the DB's, the mechanical xmax was 25.4mm, but the linear was only 7.5. Your 2104 only has 9mm of linear excursion. I understand there is more to a sub than just that, but if you are going to compare, use the same measurements. Linear vs linear...

TC Sounds makes great subs, and like it was said, some of the lowest distortion producing subs around.

Image Dynamics also makes very nice subwoofers here in the ole USA.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • xtorted
    xtorted Posts: 6
    edited July 2006
    Well I now have my SR104-DVC installed. It's been in for a few days now. Haven't had a chance to mess with my settings on the amp, or even my radio. Right now I’m stuck with an OEM radio with NO EQ settings :eek: . I'm also waiting on my new amp, which will give this bad boy the power it needs, but the amp I’m using for now is putting out 350w @ 2ohm. And boy does this thing sound amazing. I had one of my momo 12s installed temporarily (the one that came in the enclosure, they were on sale for about $100 cheaper then the ones without the enclosure, was a no brainer when getting them) while I started switching everything in the car over to aftermarket and compared to the SR the momo sounds like trash, which was shocking since for 2 years those momos put out so much better sound then most other systems I heard. I'm very pleased with this sub so far. The one thing I noticed was with the momo, even when moving it around to find the sweet spot, it never really seemed to fill the car. It just kind of sounded centralized in the back. The SR sounds like it’s filling the car, which is nice because you don’t seem to hear bass from the back like with the momo.

As for how much air space I have...I shot for the .6 cubic feet the manual said, but I was off by a little, I forget how much but I got as close as I could which wasn't bad for not measuring anything. I’ll be making a new enclosure at some point towards the end of the summer, I need to make the front a little different to blend into the car more as well as give me a little more air space.

Here's a link to part of my install so far, it's a HUGE work in progress... clicky
    Audi A3 3.2Q | DSG | bi-xenons | opensky | ocean blue | beige
    aluminum mirror covers | heated mirrors | euro switch | rear fogs
    polkaudio SR6500 - fronts
    polkaudio SR104-DVC - sub
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2006
    wow... so excursion tells you the sound quality of a driver? Someone should tell MB Quart, Focal, Dynaudio, Morel and all the other sound quality subs out there that don't need to move a lot of air to sound good. Guess output still wins in people's hearts... so sad.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.