Protect Light flickers on my Memphis amp

dannyj
dannyj Posts: 18
edited July 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just hooked up my Memphis Amp (16-ST500D) to my MM2104 sub and the "PROT" light flickers when I turn up the volume. Any tips on how to troubleshoot this. I tried reconnecting the ground several times and I'm pretty certain I have a solid ground. I'm scratching my head. Is the amp bunk or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by dannyj on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited July 2006
    make sure you have enough current to supply it. What gauge power wire are you running?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • dannyj
    edited July 2006
    I'm using 8 ga. I think I have the protect issue solved. I swapped out the RCA's and turned the gain way down. The protect light stopped flickering but the amp barely moves the sub. I understand there is a 18-20 hr. break-in period on the Polk MM2104 so I'm not going to turn the gain way up until that period is over. The sub should still hit though, right? Something doesn't seem quite right.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2006
    My first guess was that youve got your gain set too high. A gain isnt a volume control, it matches the amps input signal with the head units output signal. In other words, when youre HU is at 50% you want your amp to be at 50%. If you had the gain set too high to where the amp was at 85% when the HU was at 50% and you cranked the HU up to 80% well you just pushed your amp 120% which means clipping which is bad. Set your gain to no higher than the "noon" position and see what youve got.

Im not familiar with that amp but Im assuming its a 500 watt Class D which would mean 250x1 at 4 ohms. If youre running it at 4 ohms then youre not giving as much power as you may think, but 250 for the 2104 should still move it pretty good.

Other things that can cause the amp to go into protect is if its over heating so make sure the amp has plenty of clearance for air flow.

Also check for shorts at the amp and sub speaker wire connections.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dannyj
    edited July 2006
    I think I got it solved. I swaped out the RCA's and I did have the gain set to high. The protect light doesn't go on but I'm hoping I didn't damage the sub. I have lowered the gain but when I play around with it and gradually increase it, it doesn't pound like I thought it would. The amp is rated at 250 watts at 4 ohms.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, thats a little low on the power. Eventually you might want to move up to a beefier amp.

I wouldnt worry about hurting the sub. If it still sounds good, its ok. These things are pretty tough. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • dannyj
    edited July 2006
    Well, that's my problem at the moment. They don't sound good at all. In fact, there is very little sound. I have the Protect light issue resolved but I fear I may have damaged it with the gain being set so high for a short period. I am going to disconnect the sub, reconnect and see what's doing. If that doesn't resolve anything, next move is to meter the sub to see if it's blown.