adcom 555II

Options
Jockos
Jockos Posts: 310
edited July 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Some one locally(Hawaii) is selling a Adcom 555 MkII amp for $375. Is this a pretty good amp? whats a good price for these. How old is this model also any problems with them. He says its in excellent cond. I'm always a little leary of buying used. But here in the islands its tough to buy online because shipping is an issue.

Jockos
Post edited by Jockos on

Comments

• twochannel
    twochannel Posts: 171
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Good price if it is mint. I bought one last year on Audiogon for $425 shipped in original box with manuals, satisfaction guaranteed if I did not like it, return shipping paid! I installed for a Polk and Adcom dealer,I believe they were built between 1988 and 1994. Pretty bulletproof, but anything can break down.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Rugged amp,price seems fair,got about 10 years of service with mine before I sold them.Good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2006
    Options
    if you like bipolar design and brighter sound (with Polks), then that seems like a good deal.
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • Jockos
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Just picked it up, the GFA 555MKII and the GTP 500MKII tuner/preamp for $460. I would say cond. is about 7/10. Some scuff marks on faceplate and case. Looks dusty inside the amp. Should have it hooked up in a couple of hours. I'll let you know how it sounds.

Jockos
  • george daniel
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Congratulations,,let us know your impression
  • Jockos
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Guess I'm keeping my LSI 15's, It's the difference between night and day. The LSI's sing now, and there is much more highs; doesn't sound dull. WOW! I'm very happy. So far only the preamp had some trouble. When moving the balance control the left channel would cut out intermittently. After moving the control about 20 times through it's full motion it seems to have fixed it. Guess the pot was a little dirty; I guess thats expected after 15 years.

Thanks Jockos
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Nice going jackos... enjoy your new gear. glad the LSi15 will be sticking around for a while. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Nice, that is a brute of an amp that the Lsi's will love. As far as the balance issue, I rec getting some Caig De-oxit cleaner. Can be bought on-line or at the local Radio Shack and clean up the controls on the pre-amp. Once you do that you should be set to go.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • george daniel
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Jockos wrote:
    Guess I'm keeping my LSI 15's, It's the difference between night and day. The LSI's sing now, and there is much more highs; doesn't sound dull. WOW! I'm very happy.
    Thanks Jockos

You know,,I knew that would happen,,congrats--:D
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I love it when a plan comes together....enjoy!:p
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Jockos
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Thanks for all the nice words; question if I get the caig deoxit do I just pull off the balance knob and spray it from that angle or do I need to pull off the cover? Also is there any safe way to clean up the circuit boards of the amps and interior? I really like those pictures of say doro's amps, nice and clean.

Jockos
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I can relay what I do. For the De-oxit, it works best if can get to it from behind. So yes usually taking the cover off is a good idea. All you need is a small amount, don't over saturate, a small amount goes a long way. Try to get it on the contact points (again this is usually accomplished from behind). If for some reason they are sealed pots, then set the unit vertical and apply from the front panel and let it "soak" in a bit. Then it's a matter of moving the controls 15-20 times and that should lub and clean everything.

As far as dusty interior on the amp. On my GFA-545 I take the cover of using a Torx brand bit, set the unit on its side and spray compressed air form the bottom of the amp. Then i gently spray the inside until the dust is gone. However, with compressed air if you tilt or shake the can it will expend moisture out the nozzle so be careful and do short bursts. I do this every 2 years or so.

CAUTION: Make sure the amp is unplugged and has been powered down for approx 30 minutes as the capacitor's take a while to fully discharge. You don't want to zap yourself or ruin the amp. Never hook or unhook components while the amp is on, you'll most likely blow the outputs.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jockos
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Thanks heiney9