WTB: DVD Player (and basic HT recvr?)

Options
capecodder
capecodder Posts: 613
edited July 2006 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Help.

I am getting TOO frustrated with my Sony DVP S5600 player. It keeps skipping and getting stuck while viewing DVDs that look to be in fine condition. Apparently this was a problem with these models after a while.

Anyway, I am not brand specific and am also not looking for a real fancy, audiophile unit, just a good quality one. So before I start searching eBay, thought I'd shout-out here. Admittedly, I really don't know much about different DVD players or HT in general. I'm old school 2-channel.

I do not have an HT setup but may at some point in future. Currently I simply run the s-video out to my Sony 30" XBR TV and also run audio through a basic receiver for output to a couple of external small Boston speakers. Sound is "good enough" for now. Even when I do go HT,due to wife factor it will probably not be a very significant setup (may simply stay with 3.1 as i have a Boston center which isn't hooked up yet). My 2-channel is about all I can be satisfied for better audio at this point.

Budget is $150 or below, but if something noteworthy pops up I may entertain. Unfortunately, I missed that Cambridge Audio unit that just sold on the Flea market, I probably would have jumped on it. Looks like a well regarded player

I would also consider an "inexpensive basic" HT receiver at the same time to replace the small stereo unit I am now using with the DVD to run the external speakers. Might as well add that center channel and get some of that HT effect.

Thanks guys/gals.
Post edited by capecodder on

Comments

• jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I don't know exactly what you are looking for but check this out.

http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1766063&cp=1181144.1919733&parentPage=family

i also have a Pioneer Elite DV-45a if interested let me know
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I think you'll find that having a 2 channel setup will far surpass the sound coming from a 3 channel setup. I've done it and I didn't like it. Receivers send most of the sound to the center speaker, while this is ok if you have a big ballsy center with an amp behind it and a full HT as well it doesn't make much sense in a 3 channel setup. I sold my entire 5.1 HT for the system I currently have now. It's up to you, but don't feel you need 5 or 7 speakers to achieve good sound.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2006
    Options
    DVD players themselves need to be cleaned after every 10 movies you watch. I think a lot of people forget that the laser in all CD players and DVD players does get dirty after use.

some players are prone to skipping.. but often times just a good cleaning with give you a few more months/years use out of it. A laser lens cleaner can be found at most any Target, Shopko, Wal Mart, Fred Meyers. etc. cost around $10.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • capecodder
    capecodder Posts: 613
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Airplay- Thanks for input about 2 vs 3 channel. Probably good advice since I can't really go too wild with my video DVD set up. I would run it all through my main 2 channel rig but distances and wiring pose some problems.

jhermance- Might consider the Pioneer but I'll wait for a few days to see what else comes biting. PM me with what you might want for it. I know there are lots of give-away DVD players out there like the Sony you linked. My preference is to go a little beyond that level. Thanks.

Danger- Yeah I know, have done that with limited success. Are there some cleaner systems that seem to be the "one" (kind of like Discwasher was for albums back in the day)?