new momo

sntnsupermen131
sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
edited January 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
how come the new momo speakers are less than the old ones?
i understand you can make them for less but why hasnt the old line dropped in price??
and how come theres not a new 5 1/4 component system?
and has the tweeter or driver changed?
if so, how?
-Cody
Post edited by sntnsupermen131 on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2002
    did i ask that good of a question for it to be a "sticky"?
    -Cody
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited July 2002
    Yes, this is just a question that we will probably be seeing over and over again. Good info to keep on top.

~Justin
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2002
    wow i feel special:p
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited September 2002
    "awwwwwwwwwwwwwww" cody feel's special... how... sweet.

har de har har said the sheep. :o)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Col_S
    Col_S Posts: 16
    edited February 2003
    I just wanted to comment on this. I feel that the new range is not equal to the old range, would it not be better is Polk offered both ranges? As soon as i found out that the old range was being replaced i went out and bought a few more items from the old range as i didn't want to have to buy the new range later on should i require to replace anything in my car.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2003
    in my place some of the car audio systems are stollen

so "sticky" momo speakers can prevent them cos it is sticky(hehehe) just a joke , but my old car audio and equalizer was stolen once....

rdg,
    looseman
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2003
    The name gives away my sub preferance but for the interior it's Polk MOMO all the way. I love what they've done with the midwoofer and tweeter with the new MM6's but i've (and the other guy's i've talked to agree) found the crossover for this year to be lacking compared to last years. Does anyone else feel that way???

Joel

Circuit City Roadshop Installer
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    I can't tell you b/c I didn't own the last crossovers...but the new ones are a lot smaller...and I like them because of that...b/c the old ones wouldnt fit where i have the ones now
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    the old ones are just easier to get apart... least thats wha ti've been told.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited June 2003
    are you talking about the covers to the crossovers? cuz if you are ill agree with that...i tried to take it off...didnt work...read manual(lol....kinda backwards huh?)...still couldnt take it off...called polk...they told me to get a butter knife or something
    got a butter knife...
    it bent the knife...but it came off...lol...so on the other crossover i turned the knife around to get it off and it bent it back
    almost took a machete to get it open
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited June 2003
    hah thats the kind of thing that i'd get the cover off and leave it of f -- mount the xover in a hidden spot so nobody sees the cover off.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,533
    edited July 2003
    If this is Polk's TOTL Car Audio. Why exactly is it so cheap? Their 15 inch subwoofer is only retailing for 180 dollars. That means you could buy it online for 150. That is not even counting EBay. Why so cheap? (Not thats I am complaining)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    this is why theyre so cheap:
    THE STORY OF A GOOD BRAND GONE BAD
    by: Cody
    because now that the polk/momo name is considered a higher midgrade line up...the people at polk decided to capitalize on it
    so now theyre making these cheap **** subs, stamp the polk/momo name on it, and are going to try to sell it to a bunch of 16 yr olds who want a phat system so theyre going to get some 15s...better yet theyre momos known for their high underrated power handling...good sq...and good price
    so they buy the 15s...tell everyone they have momos...and as soon as someone who knows anything about car audio hears them...theyre going to think wow...thats absolutly the worst ive ever heard of momo before...and the kid is going to say nah dawg, these speakers be pimpin, they really slam in my ride, and plus its momos newest line up
    then the car audio guy is going to think...polk/momos newest line up?
    oh my gosh they suck
    THE END
    the moral of this story is...if you have your premier line up of audio products...ie. polks "premier" is polk/momo...leave it the best you got...dont down grade it so when people hear it theyre going to associate your premier stuff with all these other cheap **** brands
    now i have not heard these new subs...but i really think my story will be based on a true story when they do come out...
    i think now they have polk/momo line up...and in that line up it divides up again...one good series...and one bad series...the bad series are whats making the subs i believe...the reasonw hy theyre so cheap...low power handling...most likely cheap materials...
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Proud to say I plan to be one of those Teenagers in 2 years when I get my car! :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • LiquidSound
    LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
    edited July 2003
    Where Polk steps in and reminds us of what an amazing product they produce and justifies their downstep in the next generation of Momo's. Reminding us of their everpresent focus on what, we the customer, really want out of their product. This is when that happens.......yes?:confused:
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's
    Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    lol...liquid sound...hasnt happened yet
    and mxstyler...im sure you can find better subs for the price than the new momo 15s...my 12s handle more than the 15s...and theyre polk/momo's also...
    just a thought...
    -Cody
  • VR3
    edited July 2003
    Ah, Im not getting into Car Audio. I wouldnt put my speakers in a closet, nor would I put them in a car.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    VR3 -- just get one big gigantic speaker.... like a 38" woofer that went from like 50 hertz to say 1k hertz.

put about 4,000 watts on it...

cut a hole in the roof of yoru car and bolt the speaker to it so it fired into the car

this - - i believe - - would be SQ quality... lmfao.

i drew some funky picture of that before -- it was like a mitsubishi lancer or something with a USamps 2000X sticking out of the trunk and a DD9515 on the roof -- the sub was twice the size of the car.. lmfao....

who the heck used to make that 30 something inch sub anyway?

it keeps poppin into my head.

was it Vega or JBL ?????? those things sounded like total crap and they weren't worth a damn in SPL use.

only thing they were good for was lookin stupid in front of your friends.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    im 100% sure ive seen one by rockford, it was at a local shop, dont know where they got it...looked stupid as hell...all black with rockford fosgate on the cone...not sure how big it was...at least 2 ft...probably closer to 3...havent seen it in over year so i dont really remember the details
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    wanna know the most bogus thing in world history...

before the W7 came out... JL was hitting SPL contests with "JL logo" vehicles that had supposedly JL woofers.

the woofers were made by JBL and different dust caps with a JL logo were glued onto them.

that takes the cake.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited July 2003
    is that really true or just a rumor?
    if it is, why didnt that ruin JL's rep?
    is there somewhere on the internet i can read up about that? ive never heard that before
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited July 2003
    its a rumor with a 90% chance of being true...

a couple of SPL competitors, fred at image, and one of mitek's spl car sponsored people all said the same thing.

if you've got the aol instant messenger, ask RFLTEAM1 about it... think his name is jason.

it didn't ruin JL's rep because they weren't making a 1000 whatever what sub at the time -- i think the best thing they had was the w3 which isnt' much of jack.

companies have used "custom" drivers in show / spl vehicles before, its not unheard of... half the audio industry is in bed with the other half... if everybody made all their own stuff nobody would make any money.

usually the smallest and largest companies pick up sub contracts to build stuff for the middle size companies because the little guy wants to make enough to pay his rent on his buildings and the big guy wants to deepen his pockets and has the resources to do it easy... whereas the middle guy is just stuck.
  • Systems
    edited November 2003
    lk
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • DREW-P
    DREW-P Posts: 3
    edited November 2003
    the 30" woofer was made by audio bahn.....seen pics of it on rf's forum....had a kid sittin in it then showed it taking up the entire trunk of a hatchback.....it was pretty funny
  • Systems
    edited January 2004
    Dear whoever cares

I am goin to be getting a car soon, and i wanted to beef it up with some nice speakers and subs, but i don't know what to get. I understand that without knowing what type of car i am going to get then you can not tell me exactly what to get, but i thought you could help. I always thought that you needed some subs and some normal speakers around the car, but do you just use other smaller subs around the car. Also how do you connect the speakers up to the car, just generally, not a full walk through.

Thanks
    Olaph
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing