Consonance CD120-the final piece for my 2 channel system!!

Options
pearsall001
pearsall001 Posts: 5,005
edited July 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I just picked up a Consonance CD120 CD player that rounds out my 2 channel rig. I really like the way this unit playes music. Very dynamic, great soundstage, very tight & powerfull bass, just very musical to my ears. Not to mention getting a great deal on it being a demo piece. The rest of the rig is a Conrad Johnson PV14L tube preamp, a VanAlstine OmegaStar 440EX (220x2) ss amp, playing thru AAD 2001 monitors. I am tickled pink on how this system sounds. I think I wiil be quite content for some time to come. Cheers to great music listening!!!!
"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
Post edited by pearsall001 on

Comments

• Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I wonder how it would compare sonically to mine (see sig.). I just installed a new tube this evening. A Russian 6H30P-DR tube. http://thetubestore.com/russian6h30pdr.html My initial impression is that the noise floor went down and the highs seem more resolving and/or forward, which is what I was looking for. It is a little more solid state sounding but with better midrange. This is only after about a 30 minute play time. Hopefully, the sound/bass will get heavier and fuller (more tube like) with burn in.

Congrats Phil. I would love to have a friend high-end dealer like you that took care of me like that.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Congrats on your new player! I hope that you enjoy it!
    Carl

• pearsall001
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Midnite, I knew you would be the first to respond. The Ref 2.2 is a dynamite piece. I was almost tempted to take it home for a listen. This time I really stuck to my guns & kept within the budget I set. It's too damn easy to go over LOL. Don't forget I did have the Droplet 5.0 before but it just was too big when we moved our room around. That piece was spectacular. Steve told me that the 2.2 is actually the CD120 with the addition of a tube output stage. I took the CD120 & the CD120 linear home for a listen. They were both very, very good. I just preferred the CD120 better in my system. By the way how'd you make out with your NuForce amps?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Midnite Mick
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Midnite, I knew you would be the first to respond. The Ref 2.2 is a dynamite piece. I was almost tempted to take it home for a listen. This time I really stuck to my guns & kept within the budget I set. It's too damn easy to go over LOL. Don't forget I did have the Droplet 5.0 before but it just was too big when we moved our room around. That piece was spectacular. Steve told me that the 2.2 is actually the CD120 with the addition of a tube output stage. I took the CD120 & the CD120 linear home for a listen. They were both very, very good. I just preferred the CD120 better in my system. By the way how'd you make out with your NuForce amps?

Little bit of a story there. I am not sure where I left off as I have been pm ing with another Phil and sometimes I get you guys mixed up a little..lol sorry. Anyway I did send the one amp back and then called to follow up. They weren't always easy to get a hold of or very responsive with their emails. Anyway I called on a Friday and the lady told me that they were working on it, it would be sent out Monday and they would email me a tracking number. Well I did not hear from them all weak so I called them Friday morning and left a message. I came home in the evening and there was a message on my machine stating that they have been waiting for items to come in so that they could properly fix the amp but they have not arrived yet. Therefore, they are going to send me a new one. and apologies. This is a servicing place and they don't have "items"--not sure what that means. The whole ordeal took about three weeks. Man I was dying...shaking, sweating, hallucinating, throwing up....it was horrible. I now have a new one and all is well. Oh and I had to tighten some screws on the chasis.

Glad your happy with your new player.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• Midnite Mick
    edited July 2006
    Options
    So then you tried both the one with the upsapling, and the linear. Curious how they compared.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• pearsall001
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Glad to hear that NuForce came thru for you even though it took them 3 weeks. Better late than never I guess. Hopefully this one holds up. Yeah, I'm really enjoying the CD120 in my system.

Phil
  • Midnite Mick
    edited July 2006
    Options
    They really do vocals incredible well. But I guess they should since they are called Opera Audio

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• pearsall001
    edited July 2006
    Options
    To my ears the CD120 presented a closer & more robust sound stage. The CD120 linear was a tad more laid back & not as dynamic in it's presentation. Either one is an excellent player in their own right. It's all a matter of preference. I just preferred the CD120.

Phil
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Great piece of gear, why didn't you keep the Droplet? I thought the whole Consonance line was very solid and my loaners were all good to go in regards to build quality....or was that Mick?

If I was to pick one, it probably would be the 2.2...but that's always subjective.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • pearsall001
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I hated to let it go. It was a superb player. I don't think many players can match it's performance. It came down to a space issue. It was a stretch when I first bought it but now after some room renovations the Droplet was just too darn big & being a top loader was a real problem. To be quite honest the CD120 might just give it a good run for it's money. I do miss it though. Oh well life goes on LOL
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Cool NICE PLAYER, we will just have to see how content you will be!!!! It can happen, its been about four months since I added a component to the Shed Rig, I am in a 12 step program though!:D :o