Sub Box Possibility

brettw22
brettw22 Posts: 7,624
edited January 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I haven't had a lot of time to focus on making the box that neo had indicated, but I had a thought.

I'm planning on putting 2 12" subs in the trunk, but rather than making a single sub box, have y'all ever seen/heard of someone making 2 individual boxes then attaching them together via some sort of clamp from Home Depot (will post a link later)? This would give me the versitility of being able to disconnect one of the subs if I need some room down the line to put something in a diagonal in the trunk.

Any thoughts one way or the other?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
Post edited by brettw22 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2006
    its 100% possible and the only draw back is aesthetics.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Ray Zenz
    Ray Zenz Posts: 27
    edited June 2006
    im not 100% positive on this but when using one box you may get deeper sound because of course it is one larger area and the subs will work together in that space and share the air if you can kinda see what i mean, a friend of mine did this with 12" type Rs on either side of his trunk with them facing each other and they sounded good but didnt seem to hit as hard/deep as expected and i think it was because the area of the boxes werent big enough but if they shared the same area i think they would of had better sq and whatnot, and you can also think of it this way..there are many companies making bandpass and vented boxes that are loaded with subs..these boxes go through testing and engineering and geometry and wouldnt you think that if it was better to separate both subs within a box to achieve better sound quality or higher spl then wouldnt they do this, but like i said im not an engineer or anything and im not 100% positive but these are just my thoughts and of course if u arent lookin for a competition system and u know that u may need the 2 seprate boxes for later on, then go for it...
    Running
    Pioneer Hu
    Pioneer EQ
    2 Pioneer 6x7s in Rear
    2 Pioneer 6x9 (1 center speaker and 1 rear center)
    2 Pyramid 3" tweeters in Dash
    2 Pioneer Tweeters(flush mounted by ears where seatbelt comes out)
    (surround sound)
    Kenwood Amp
    my baby-1 15" Orion H2 15.2 :D
    1.5 Farad Cap
    Rockford Fosgate Wiring

Also soundbars, neons and leds that go with music

Also Own
    2 10" Dual Subs
    (in custom enclosure)
    1 10" Kenwood Sub in sealed box
    2 12" Jenson Subs in Bandpass
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited June 2006
    THe original box design was for a single box with a partition in the middle. I'm basically making the box identical to the original design, just with the split being more permanent so i can config my trunk as need be at some point.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2006
    Two semi-removable enclosures would be fine, provided they both have optimum air space for the subs (plus or minus- to tailor the woofer's sound to your listening preference).

The plus side of a traditional dual woofer box where subs share the air space (undivided) with enclosure volume based on spec X2 is low frequency output- they will play a little lower in the larger enclosure than each sub would in individual boxes.

The down side of this arrangement is that the larger enclosure volume does not properly dampen the suspension of each individual woofer, and on lower notes the subs may lose control due to over-excursion. Power handling of the subs will suffer as a result, and this will eventually shorten the lifespan of your subs. If one of your subs comes up dead and you continue to play the other in the same box with all other variables being the same, the second sub's death will not be far behind.

Most sub manufacurers have a range of ideal enclosure volumes for their products. The idea behind this "wiggle room" is to tailor the woofer's response. For tight, well-damped bass response you would build an enclosure closer to the manufacturer's minimum box dimensions. For more low end extension, you would build your box closer to the maximum suggested by the manufacturer (at the expense of some power handling and controlled output).

These are generalities, and if you are building a traditional sealed or ported box, an undivided enclosure for two subs at twice the manufacturer's suggested box size will probably not be a great idea (but it gets done all the time- good for repeat sales ;) ).
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited July 2006
    i am not in favor of single chambering 2 subwoofers... so even if you went with one box, i'd want a wall in the middle. far as the removable deal... go for it. it will not adversely effect your sound in any way.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited July 2006
    I ran two round 12" Kicker Solobarics this way a few years back. I had no proplems.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • B2Bomber
    B2Bomber Posts: 24
    edited January 2008
    i've recently been contemplating on making multiple subs use one chamber (in a sealed enclosure) in contrast to my original plan of allocating one chamber per sub in the same enclosure. reading through these posts, it seems that providing the subs a single chamber altogether is a not so good idea? would this mean even if you adhered to manufacturer parameters, say volume, etc.?
    the reason I got to thinking on using a single chamber for all the subs is that "what if the chamber parameter (e.g. volume, etc.) for each sub aren't 100% identical, would that have an gross effect on the sound quality"? or I'm just thinking in to this a little too much? tia.