Underpowered 15" Orion H2?

Options
Ray Zenz
Ray Zenz Posts: 27
edited February 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Currently i have the 2 12" Jenson Bandpass box which can handle i believe 1200w from circuit city. I also have a 1.5 farad cap and my amp is a kenwood, not sure the model # but max output is 920 watts and when it is briged it can put out 460w rms. This was my first sytem and its a begineers. I just bought the 15" orion H2 subwoofer (15.2)(2000w rms/ 2500w peak)but as u would believe i am a little low on cash after that purchase and i need to stick with my current amp and i still need to purcase or build a box. As u can see i will be horribly underpowering this godly subwoofer but is this bad? I realize that it will not be hitting as hard or reaching the subs full potential but can this be hazardous to the sub? I have tested it and it doesnt seem to be distored but like i said i still do not have a box and im pretty sure this isnt a free-air subwoofer. When tested, I had it wired for a 4 ohm load on the amp (bridged) and 2 ohm load on each voice coil on the sub, is this the right set up? And for such a powerful sub should i just rely on buying a box and should it be ported or not?(i can get a 15" sealed box for $40) I think i want to go with a sealed enclousure. Right now i would like to stick with my amp but if i do need alot more power to be safe then my best bet is to sell my current subs which i can do and sell the amp and use that money for a new amp but then i will be drawing more power and i will have to start to work on my vehicals electrical system. If anyone has really underpowered a sub or has worked with an H2 please let me know. Thanks for the help.
Running
Pioneer Hu
Pioneer EQ
2 Pioneer 6x7s in Rear
2 Pioneer 6x9 (1 center speaker and 1 rear center)
2 Pyramid 3" tweeters in Dash
2 Pioneer Tweeters(flush mounted by ears where seatbelt comes out)
(surround sound)
Kenwood Amp
my baby-1 15" Orion H2 15.2 :D
1.5 Farad Cap
Rockford Fosgate Wiring

Also soundbars, neons and leds that go with music

Also Own
2 10" Dual Subs
(in custom enclosure)
1 10" Kenwood Sub in sealed box
2 12" Jenson Subs in Bandpass
Post edited by Ray Zenz on

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Ray

There are many factors that you should consider. One the H2 is a monster sub, that really needs a lot of power, no doubt about that.

I have run my H2 w/ a JL500.1 a 1000.1 and am now using an amp from Clif Designs CD 1.1. (3 Cars, 1 Subwoofer and 3 Different amps)

Anyway, I have also had it set up in a sealed box while waiting for a vented box to come in. So I had a chance to listen to it in both environments.

Conclusion. Go with a vented box. Subzone makes one with the correct specifications to this sub, and if my mind serves me correctly it is made with 1" MDF. Go with as much amp as you can afford. If you can't afford a lot of amp, I would recommend the Clif Design set up. I have never had any problems with it at all.

Good Luck with that sub. Once you get it dialed in you won't go to another.

Scott
  • Ray Zenz
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks Scott this has helped, but how much better does a vented box sound and how much is the vented 15" box from Subzone? Because like i said i can purchase a 15" sealed one for around $40 and if there isnt a huge difference i might go with that or i might have to build one.

Also i looked up the the clif designs amplifier you are running and that is around 1000w which would be about the same situation i am in, with only 1000w does this still sound great and hit hard or do you really want to get more power? Can you campare your sound to other peoples systems you have heard? (...can you set of car alarms...can you knock off your rear veiw mirror...do you give people a back massage in your car...and after they get out, can they still F E E L the bass...?)

And for everyone else out there, my main question still isnt answered...can massive underpowering damage this sub?
    Running
    Pioneer Hu
    Pioneer EQ
    2 Pioneer 6x7s in Rear
    (surround sound)
    Kenwood Amp
    1.5 Farad Cap
    Rockford Fosgate Wiring

Also Own
    2 10" Dual Subs
    (in custom enclosure)
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The vented box doesn't sound better per se' it is all a matter of preference. Depending on what you are looking for. The vented box will produce lower bass given the same wattage, albeit, it will not be as accurate across the lower frequency range. Vented, Band Pass, and Ported boxes are "tuned" to a given bandwidth, in my case, the subzone box is tuned to 28hz. I am not a huge fan of non sealed boxes. But I got the H2 at a killer price, and I wanted the right box for this particular sub.

Answers to your question, no underpowering isn't going to damage your sub if you have it crossed over right. If you are sending LF to the sub, it isn't likely you would damage it with any distortion.

Do you need more power, simple answer is NO. Do you want more power, YES.

Does it hit hard? YES, it hits hard in my Audi A6, if I had a Land Yaht (pick any GIANT suv) then it probably wouldn't hit as hard.

It looks like what you are looking for is Ridiculous Bass, and not really going for an accurate set up. In that event. Go w/ a couple of the H2's you are talking about, and find yourself a used Orion HCCA amplifier that is stable to 1/4 ohm (competition amp), and run both subs in parallel. Your amp will be effectively "seeing" a 1 ohm load. You WILL have the setup you are looking for. You will piss off the neighbors, you will lose your hearing, and everyone will be suing you in years to come for hearing loss.

BTW, you aren't massively underpowering your sub w/ a 1000w amp.

Pricing of the subzone box? Check out there website. I paid around 150.00 for mine....

Scott
  • Ray Zenz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    thanks agian man, still havent bought a box but im looking into vented ones, and what price did u get your sub for??...i got mine for a damn good price too..
    Running
    Pioneer Hu
    Pioneer EQ
    2 Pioneer 6x7s in Rear
    (surround sound)
    Kenwood Amp
    1.5 Farad Cap
    Rockford Fosgate Wiring

Also Own
    2 10" Dual Subs
    (in custom enclosure)
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Ray Zenz wrote:
    thanks agian man, still havent bought a box but im looking into vented ones, and what price did u get your sub for??...i got mine for a damn good price too..

I got one from a buddy of mine that has some sort of a "white van deal" with a 3rd party. I bought 4 of them for 500.00, got 3 other guys to get in on the group buy.
  • Ray Zenz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    wow thats an amazing deal..was it the 12" sub or 15"...i got one 15" for $180...ya and my car is a small land yaht..i have a bronco II...so im looking into more power but i just wont know untill i get a box...
    Running
    Pioneer Hu
    Pioneer EQ
    2 Pioneer 6x7s in Rear
    (surround sound)
    Kenwood Amp
    1.5 Farad Cap
    Rockford Fosgate Wiring

Also Own
    2 10" Dual Subs
    (in custom enclosure)
  • thehaens@cox.net
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Ray Zenz wrote:
    wow thats an amazing deal..was it the 12" sub or 15"...i got one 15" for $180...ya and my car is a small land yaht..i have a bronco II...so im looking into more power but i just wont know untill i get a box...

I got the 12" subs Dual Voice Coil. I don't think you will need more power, these subs move a lot of air. If you go with the recommended vented box, you'll have plenty of bass....especially with the 15". Orion also makes a d series amplifier that you can find on the bay relatively inexpensive. The 2500D is a pretty impressive amp by the numbers at least......
  • Ray Zenz
    edited July 2006
    Options
    alright thanks ill start looking into that
    Running
    Pioneer Hu
    Pioneer EQ
    2 Pioneer 6x7s in Rear
    (surround sound)
    Kenwood Amp
    1.5 Farad Cap
    Rockford Fosgate Wiring

Also Own
    2 10" Dual Subs
    (in custom enclosure)
  • smurfs122
    smurfs122 Posts: 3
    edited February 2007
    Options
    i also just got orion subs but i got 2 10.2 and find find a amp for them. so if my amp sent 1000 wrms to them could they still be turned up and not distort?