Opinions please?!

moparman
moparman Posts: 9
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've been lurking around for a while now and gained some great info but here goes the first post. I have a '02 Ram quad cab, the stereo just plain stinks. Am/fm cassette w/three band EQ and four speakers, 6X9's up front and 6.5's in rear doors.Taking advise from you all I narrowed it down to, Kenwood KDC-MP4032 hu, Kenwood SIR-KEN1 satelite reciever, DB690's for front and DB650's in the rear backed up with MM2084 sub and Kenwood KAC-6202 amp. Would this sound ok? My wife's 06 Charger has the boston system in it and that sounds ok, but the sub works like crap and it still puts mine to shame. Anyway, y'all think this'll sound ok? I'm just looking for sq at decent levels, don't want to wake the neibors, just rock out kinda loud.:rolleyes: Thanks in advance.
Post edited by moparman on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2006
    sounds like youre going to have a great system. Depending on how loud you like to listen to it, you might consider a 4-channel amp. Run your 6x9s and 6.5s off 2 channels and bridge the other 2 for your sub. You'll lose either fade or balance though.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    Ya came to the right place! I just so happen to have a 02 Ram Quad Cab and my systems has gone thru several evolutions.

The DB 6x9's will fit but you may have to do some trimming. The Momo 6x9's will fit also but youll have to do a LOT of trimming and use a spacer.

As for a sub, it depends on how much storage space you want to retain under that rear seat. If you want some space left over then the best place to stick a sub is in the little compartment directly under the passenger side of the seat. You can fit a 10 but I recommend an 8. In retrospect I wish Id gone with an 8 so I couldve gotten better use out of the air space.

The best place to mount the amps is directly in the middle of the underseat area. A very good size amp will fit here and you can stick one on top of the other. This will leave the compartment under the drivers side available for storage.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • moparman
    moparman Posts: 9
    edited June 2006
    Yeah, I thought it was you with the ram, I was thinking of mounting the MM2084 in the center front. That way I keep all of the rear storage, but wouldn't that cause too much bass up front? Anyway, this is to be done in stages for budget reasons A.K.A the wife.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    Stages is the way alot of us have gotten to where we are now :).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2006
    I don't have a wife, but I completely understand "stages" -- we've all been through it.

I'm kicking around an 03 Cummins Diesel as we speak... sub is going on the driver side under the back seat, amps are being racked on the passenger side under the seat... trying to stick with stock speakers... lets see how that goes.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge