best sound

skinny
skinny Posts: 25
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
i just purchased my speaker package . I have the 800's for fronts and the 450 for my sub and i was wondering how much of a difference is it going to make if i ran my fronts through my sub. I like my sub in back of the room and i want to use good wire for the best sound. So doing this will cost me at least $150 more dollars. Should i spend that or dont waste the time and money?
thanks for your help,GRANT:confused:
Post edited by skinny on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited July 2001
    You dont give much info on your set-up.. mainly HT or music applications.... Most subs for HT offer better support of the LFE channel. Need more info to make a better suggestion
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    I wouldn't run mains through a sub. You could use the LFE, but I'd recommend you try using pre-outs to the low level inputs of the sub. See how you like it this way. I think you will.
  • dbartol
    dbartol Posts: 66
    edited July 2001
    It's usually not a good idea to place your sub(s) behind your viewing seat. Usually.

D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Best spot for a sub, imho, is up front with the mains, even better if it is between the front mains.

Most think that bass <=80Hz or so is non-directional. Well, that's not entirely true. Some say bass is truely non-directional below 40Hz (sine wave test tones).

When bass is also coming from the satellite speakers, it is non-directional up to one octave higher (below 80Hz). The bass above 80Hz from the other speakers masks the location of the subwoofer. Same notes, one octave higher.....A nice 'blend' occurs, if you will.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Best spot for a sub, imho, is up front with the mains, even better if it is between the front mains.

I always thought the best place for a sub was up front but outside the mains. I thought ideally you should have nothing between you mains to mess up imaging. However, now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't think a subwoofer would mess up imaging or a small equipment rack, provided both of these objects are behind the plane of the speaker. I dunno.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    ....and the whole 'what's directional' issue.

Cheers,
    Russ

Its been the only I can setup in my new house, and get the response I want, but one apartment I did live in, I had the sub to the right of the listening area, along a solid wall.....blew the front position away...

Not an exact science
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • skinny
    edited July 2001
    i do have room behind my entertianment center to place my sub because it is sideways in the corner. would that work? I have the polk 800 for fronts which dont give off much bass so having the sub close to them would make sense. i also have a polk center i think its the 400 or something. my sub is the polk sw450 which is a 12 and pretty good size...
    thanks for the help,
    SKINNY
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    Try up front, at least on the same side of the room as your mains, and try running your PSW from the LFE.

Then report back, soldier.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • polkster13
    polkster13 Posts: 37
    edited July 2001
    I have the RT800/CS400 combo and am using the PSW450 sub. I choose to use the LFE signal to the sub and run the front and center as large. This works for me but YMMV.
  • skinny
    edited July 2001
    my center is the 275 or whatever it is, polk 2 something. but souldnt i leave that on small or should i try putting it on large?and what speakers are u using 4 your surround?
    Thanks 4 the input,skinny:)