Differences in triode output tubes

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Anybody have direct experience with 2A3 vs 300B vs 845, etc? I'm talking SET configuration.

I want super smooth sound across the audio bandwidth. I don't care for subsonic bass because I want an amp that's killer on soft music. Power output is not an issue because I will be using 98db/w/m speakers.

Even though I said power is not an issue, the 2A3 might be a little too low. I believe they output 2.5w/ch.

Anybody know the sound characteristics of each type?
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I would go 211 or 845, SET w/ balls. I believe with enough voltage you can damn near hit 30 watts on either.

Don't forget, you can go SET with a single EL34, KT88, etc....and those amps are out there too. Cheaper tubes, and a LOT more options to roll.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Russ,
    I was thinking something like this... http://cgi.ebay.ca/MC-34-A-II-TUBE-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-110V-230V_W0QQitemZ9700469042QQcategoryZ3280QQcmdZViewItem
    or this...
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/MC-845-A-TUBE-STEREO-integrated-AMPLIFIER-110V-230V_W0QQitemZ9701237133QQcategoryZ3280QQcmdZViewItem
    or maybe even this one...
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/A-PAIR-845-TUBE-stereo-AMPLIFIERS-110V-220V-240_W0QQitemZ9702302310QQcategoryZ3280QQcmdZViewItem

You brought up a good point about set EL34, kt88. I have my Dyna in triode mode and really enjoy the mids. I have pentodes acting as triodes right now. I want to try a real triode tube this time. I want more of that 'air' and sense of space like the performers are in your room.

I've had great success with this HK seller and my cdp. It feels like I stole my cdp for the price/performance ratio.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sorry Maurice, steal your thread for a qq for Russ.
    Russ,
    Can I use 845 in place of the 211? I looked at their specs, close but not the same; however, pins compatible. There seem to be more 845 choices than 211.

Thanks,

-fredv-
  • organ
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Fred,
    It's all good.
    I'll be working my **** off for the next few weeks, that's why I was curious about the triode tubes. I wanna see what the hype is all about. It's either a new amp to play with or I'll save the money. Still thinking.
  • fredv
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Hi Maurice,

Russ will be sending his Radii 211 SET my way :-) I did a little research and
    found these 2 triodes had very close specs. If I can use 845 as 211, I'll have
    more choice when the tube rolling bug bites. After a few months of tube
    audition, I can say I don't like the super tubey warm sound. I am the same as
    you - I want to hear what SET amp is all about.

-fredv-
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,077
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Best sounding triode power amplifier tubes IMNSHO are the 2A3 and the 45. 46 sounds very nice, too, but it's not quite a triode (it's got two grids) and the power output is quite low. I find 300B's to be a bit too 'hi-fi' sounding for my taste.

I don't have enough experience with the HV triodes to have a strong opinion.
    Gary Kaufman's 211 amp sounds quite good, though.

211amp1.jpg

FWIW: EL84's IME sound good -- triode or pentode, SE or PP.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2006
    Options
    No, no direct 211/845 swap.

Good news is, the front end driver on your particular amps, the 6BM8 (6BQ5/EL84 with half of a 12AX7 on top) makes a TON of difference. I'm sending the stock tubes that came with the amp, and a matched pair of Tungsgram that will knock your socks off. You want to try something else - I've got a source for Mullard (Phillips) 6BM8's at $25 a pop (you need two).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • fredv
    edited June 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    No, no direct 211/845 swap.

Good news is, the front end driver on your particular amps, the 6BM8 (6BQ5/EL84 with half of a 12AX7 on top) makes a TON of difference. I'm sending the stock tubes that came with the amp, and a matched pair of Tungsgram that will knock your socks off. You want to try something else - I've got a source for Mullard (Phillips) 6BM8's at $25 a pop (you need two).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Hi Russ,

Please send the Mullard's along with the amps. I will wire the balance to your PP account.

Thanks,

-fredv-

-fredv-
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Dude, I don't have the Mullards - I'll pm you the link online when I get back home.
  • fredv
    edited June 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Dude, I don't have the Mullards.
    :o The moral is don't say anything out loud while writing code for 12 hours. The brain just didn't want to switch back to the real world :o

-fredv-