Do I have sufficiant power?

da5176
da5176 Posts: 42
edited May 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just had a 4-channel amp installed and the shop strongly suggested that I ad a capacitor to the system. I had installed, a MTX thunder 564 (75W X 4 RMS) amp with 4 awg power and ground wires. I already have a RF P3001 sub amp (300W RMS) with 4 awg power and ground wires. This is all in a 2006 Toyota Highlander 2 wheel drive 4 cylinder, no tow package. I don't know what the alt. power output is. I don't have any lights dimming at any time, but am thinking about adding a satellite radio to the mix. Does my alt. put out enough power for the current power draw I'm using? I don't want to cause any damage to the new vehicle. What would be the best course of action to take? Will I really need a bigger alt. or should I be fine with what I have? I need some thoughts and some suggestions from you guys if possible. Thanx
NOT MUCH, BUT IT'S ALL MINE!

SONY 60" SXRD (HDTV)
Explorer 8300HD (HD-DVR CABLE BOX)
Toshiba SD-3750 (DVD PLAYER)
Onkyo TX-SR702 (RECEIVER)
Polk Monitor 60 (FRONTS)
Polk CS2 (CENTER)
Polk Monitor 30 (SIDE SURROUNDS)
Polk Monitor 30 (REAR SURROUNDS)
Mirage Omni S-12 (SUBWOOFER)
Tripplite HT 1000UPS (POWER PROTECTION)
Omnimount (CENTER CHANNEL SHELF)
B-Tech BT34 (SURROUND SPEAKER MOUNTS)
Post edited by da5176 on

Comments

• da5176
    edited June 2006
    I just found out from my car dealer that my alternator put out 130 amps. Does that sound like enough?

SONY 60" SXRD (HDTV)
    Polk Monitor 60 (FRONTS)
    Polk CS2 (CENTER)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
  • da5176
    edited June 2006
    I was able to verify through my VIN # that my alt. is realy only 100 amps, not 130. Sorry for the confusion.

SONY 60" SXRD (HDTV)
    Polk Monitor 60 (FRONTS)
    Polk CS2 (CENTER)
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    That should still be enough. 600 watts aint going to be that big of a draw.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited June 2006
    a 100 amp alternator will - all things being equal - more than sufficiently supply up to about 700 watts.

you're at 600.

you don't need a capacitor. you don't need another battery. you don't need ****.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited February 2007
    OK, you seemed to have been able to help him, now...

If I have a stock 80 amp alternator...

is that sufficient to power:

Eclipse amp 760 w rms (380 x2 @4ohm) Pushing 2 10" infinity kappa perfects

and

Hifonics tx8805 440 w rms (110 x4 @4ohm) DB's 6500's components rear and infinity's

My headlights started to dim after I upgraded the subs from some type S's (which were only 200 watts rms each)

Also (probably set the gain in the amp too much), but i'm getting some clipping when I turn on the volume past 70 (out of 90).

Demon
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    if your headlights are dimming you may want to look into getting your alternator re-wound. a decent shop can get you enough of a gain to cover your needs
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    I don't know how much that would cost...

I could get an higher amp alternator for 200 though.

230 for a 150amp, and 260 for a 200.

That would do it no?

For now... would a capacitor help at all? I know it just gets rid of the symptoms, but is it a viable *temporary* fix?

Demon
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2007
    you're a good 20 A under what you need (minimum).

Grab the 150 A alternator and a nice battery (Optima D34 should do the job - they're about 100 bucks at 1st optima batteries dot com).

You're not going to cover a 20 - 50 amp (headlights, etc) gap with a capacitor dude.
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    Well... i'm one step closer, as I already have an optima yellow top. I do love being able to listen to music with the car not running and not having to worry.

Anyway, I'm also thinking about "downgrading" (from a wattage perspective), my 4 channel speaker's amp, as the Hifonics is certainly not of the highest quality and I think I would be fine with something around 75 watts per channel.

I turned down the gain on the amp and it doesn't clip anymore, but I am still unsure as to where is it supposed to be:

My head unit has a 4v output, and the amp gain settings show 2v in one extreme, 8v at the other extreme, and 1v in the middle. I had it at 8v when it was clipping.

Thanks for your input, I will have to be getting an alternator.

Demon
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2007
    it probably shows .2 (POINT 2 -- as in 0.2) on one extreme, and 8 on the other...

0.200 V to 8.000 V is a common range for amplifier inputs.

peg it about 1/3 of the way between 1 V and 8 V and see how that goes.
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    it probably shows .2 (POINT 2 -- as in 0.2) on one extreme, and 8 on the other...

0.200 V to 8.000 V is a common range for amplifier inputs.

peg it about 1/3 of the way between 1 V and 8 V and see how that goes.

Thanks!

That really makes sense, I just couldn't figure it out, and since I cannot find any documentation I was just guessing.

Demon
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2007
    I have not been on here forever- just kinda looking around. It is so typical of a shop to try and sell caps! You dont ever ever ever ever need a cap like that in your system- you may want one...but you dont ever need one. Caps are just the gheto band aid of the last 5yrs. Just my 2 cents. And for those who know me...its been my stance for quite a long time.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Good to see ya back Thomas. Where ya been?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • DemonAstroth
    edited February 2007
    Yes, I have always understood that. Hence why I said it wold be a temporary fix, as it is a lot easier to install a cap than to replace an alternator.

What I do not understand though, is WHAT are capacitors for? I mean, if all these "reputable" companies are making them and selling them, are they really spending their time into designing a product that is not necessary?

Demon
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    I have not been on here forever- just kinda looking around. It is so typical of a shop to try and sell caps! You dont ever ever ever ever need a cap like that in your system- you may want one...but you dont ever need one. Caps are just the gheto band aid of the last 5yrs. Just my 2 cents. And for those who know me...its been my stance for quite a long time.
    lol. Never fails, the only time Thomas posts is when someone says the c word!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited February 2007
    What I do not understand though, is WHAT are capacitors for? I mean, if all these "reputable" companies are making them and selling them, are they really spending their time into designing a product that is not necessary?

People buy them so someone sells them... if there were profit in it I'm sure you could buy toenail clippings from dozens of major manufacturers...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited February 2007
    Capcitor has many different applications. A cap would be better used on the mids of a high end system- when I say High end..I'm talking over 5k easy. The purpose of this would be too filter any flutter in the power that may occure during a stong mid range passage in a song. This will help the dynamics and your "head room" effect.

Alma gates did a study and found that she hit better #'s without caps then with- go figure!

Thanx for the warm welcome. I've been really into Home Theater and working around the house.

I sold the Intrigue and now have an HHR- stock Pioneer system- which is fair for stock. No plans too upgrade it at all.

The Hoe was broken into superbowl a year ago- and we now have an 07' hoe with stock Blows system- no plans too upgrade.

I have quite a bit of electronics for sale:) those who know me can attest too my worthiness :)

Peace -
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2007
    Alma's Bronco is awesome!!!

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2007
    Capcitor has many different applications. A cap would be better used on the mids of a high end system- when I say High end..I'm talking over 5k easy. The purpose of this would be too filter any flutter in the power that may occure during a stong mid range passage in a song. This will help the dynamics and your "head room" effect.

Alma gates did a study and found that she hit better #'s without caps then with- go figure!

Thanx for the warm welcome. I've been really into Home Theater and working around the house.

I sold the Intrigue and now have an HHR- stock Pioneer system- which is fair for stock. No plans too upgrade it at all.

The Hoe was broken into superbowl a year ago- and we now have an 07' hoe with stock Blows system- no plans too upgrade.

I have quite a bit of electronics for sale:) those who know me can attest too my worthiness :)

Peace -
    what all did the thieves get? I hate that crap.

My boss picked up an 07 hoe the other day. Very nice, I love how the radio has presets for XM and FM without having to change the source. Great idea.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited February 2007
    They got the alpine HU, Sony monitors and the Eclipse EQ:

Idiots cut the cable too the monitors and left the small boxes under the seats and broke the brakets when they pulled them out- they are use-less now!.
    The eq- was great...but kinda had it for 8yrs or so...

Damage was the worst- broke the dash plate and cut the leather seats!

oh well.- too bad you cant have nice things these days.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2007
    Hearing about this stuff really makes me upset........why can't they just work for their sh** like we do.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • DemonAstroth
    edited March 2007
    Well....

My headlights haven't dimmed anymore. I think what happened is that when I installed the subwoofers, I was tuning it for quite a long time, while the car was off. I think I may have almost drained the battery. I have an Optima yellow top though. So once the alternator was able to recharge it I haven't had any problems... even while at idle.

And the clipping was fixed when I turned the amp to the proper gains.

I still need some front speakers though.... trying to find a good deal on MMC5250's, but still considering the alpine type S 5.25 component and the Eclipse 3 way component SC8355.
  • DemonAstroth
    edited May 2007
    Well... I couldn't find any deals on the eclipse's nor the mmc's, so I ended up with:

Alpine SPX-177r

I got them for 100 dollars so I couldn't pass up the deal.