New guy with a plan but needs help

titus2669
titus2669 Posts: 14
edited July 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Im new to sound systems so please help me out. I've been doing as much research as I can in the past days and Im trying to put together a new sound system for my 2000 firebird.
I want to first mention that I am not building this system to be the best system out there, it is mostly for show but I still want it to sound good when it will be turned on.

This is what I have planned out:
2 61/2 Polk Audio db650 speakers in the kicker panels by the feet
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc6500/

2 6 1/2 Polk Audio db650 speakers in the door panels (same speakers as above)
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc6500/

4 6x9 Polk Audio 690 in the flat rear seat delete I made
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc690/

2 12" Polk MMAudio 2124 in the q=logic box which goes into the t-top holders
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mm2124dvc/

1 Polk Mono AMP to power the two subs
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/c500_1/

2 Polk 400.4 amps to power the speakers
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/c400_4/

Would this setup work okay. Some people have said that the sound quality would be bad others said it would be fine.
I am also putting a computer in the rear of the car and I plan to run everything from that. So what kind of deck would I need that is able to connect to the computer sound card and will also be good enough for the rest of the sound system. If I am running all the music from the computer will the quality decrease then running it from the deck?

Also how many capacitors would I need to run this system. And do I need an extra battery?
Thanks I appreciate it a lot.
Post edited by titus2669 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2006
    I would def. get an extra battery. As far as running it off a computer, i would get an apline deck and the alpine h701 processor. Make sure the two are compatible. The H701 processor would allow integration from the computers sound card.

As far as sound quality, it will be ok but nothing fantastic. If you can afford the upgrade to the MOMO series the sound will be much better. Plus youd be running all MOMO equipment, not just the amps.

Running everything off a computer will degrade the SQ depending on how its saved on the computer. If saved at a very high bitrate then I doubt you'll notice a difference unless you went with the SRs from Polk and youd still have to have a pretty critical ear.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    "As far as sound quality, it will be ok but nothing fantastic. If you can afford the upgrade to the MOMO series the sound will be much better. Plus youd be running all MOMO equipment, not just the amps."\

Upgrade what to the MOMO series. I thought everything listed what the momo series already. Can you please specify.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    I followed your links, and they went to the Momo stuff, it just that you had mentioned DB series.....
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    So with all these speakers some people have said that the system will sound bad, especially with the 4 6x9s in the back. Is this true? Or will it sound decent?
  • 1996blackmax
    edited June 2006
    It depends what kind of sound you are after. For SQ purposes you want your sound to be be coming from in front of you. I ocassionally use some rear fill, but never to the point to where my front stage is being overshadowed.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    First off we need clarification on just what speakers you're talking about. You listed db series stuff: db650 and db690. However, you linked to MOMO stuff, so I would assume MMC650 and MMC690. However, again, you linked to MOMO components for up front and in the doors - the MMC6500. What are you planning on actually running?

The MOMO gear is nicer, looks nicer (since it's for show), and will also sound better. Components will also sound better than coaxials (the db650 and MMC650 are coaxial; the MMC6500 are component speakers - component meaning the tweeter and mid are separate units to be mounted separately and coaxial meaning the tweeter is mounted in the middle of the mid, leaving just one 'unit' to be installed).

Assuming you're going with the MMC6500 and MMC690, then, as far as I can tell, the two C400.4 amps should be plenty good for you. Of course the speakers could use more power should you want to give it to them, but you won't be hurting any the way you have it planned out.

Probably what everyone is talking about with it sounding bad is because you have so many speakers. High frequency sounds are highly directional, meaning that you want tweeters (the drivers reproducing the high frequencies) to be pointing right at you, and you want them to be sending the same thing at the same time (meaning you want them equi-distant from you, or have the different distances compensated for by using time alignment, which the processor Cody mentioned will do just fine). The imaging and soundstage of the presentation depend on the placement and setup of the tweetters.

You'll have no less than 8 tweeters blasting the same high-frequency material at you. In terms of sound quality, that's horrible. There's just no practical way to get all the tweeters playing so the material will reach your ears at the same time. Even if you did, there's something else that even plagues simple systems with just one set of front and rear speakers. Rear speakers will pull the soundstage toward the rear of the cabin, decreasing sound quality. That's why I'm only using front speakers in my system. Now, you can use a fader and fade out or at least decrease the sound coming from the rear, and that would diminish the negative effects of the rear speakers.

However, most of it really comes down to what you want. Are you a really critical listener, or are yo ujust going to want to turn it up and go blasting down the interstate.

Hope that at least helps some.
    audiobliss
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    Yeah sorry for the confusion. I listed the db series but everything will be the MOMO series.
    After looking up that processor which was mentioned I see that its 500 for the processor and another 250 for the controller. Thats a lot for just controlling the sound, for me at least.
    Im building this system more for looks then for the quality of sound. Im not going to enter into any sound events to win any prizes. I just want a system which sounds decent and will work with my computer sound card.
    Do I really need that processor to get sound from my sound card? Or is there just a deck I can buy and connect the two some how? Any help on this would be great.

Also what is I didn't connect the tweeters in the front four speakers? Would that be better or bad idea?
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    You're right, that is a little steep for processing equipment. I'm sure there's a HU you can use that will accept output from a sound card, I just don't know about it. But at any rate, I'm sure you can get that job done much cheaper, if you're not looking for unltimate sound quality.

If you didn't connect the tweeters in the front four speakers, that'd be even worse. You have a pretty good idea, but you should change it a bit - disconnect the rear four tweeters (from the MMC690). That should help a bit, though it's still not going to have great imaging and soundstaging with four tweeters up front.

But, you're just looking for something decent, I doubt that your proposed setup, with everything hooked up, would fail to meet your stamp of 'decency'.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    Ok I have another questions. Whats the difference between SVC and DVC on the subs? Is one better then the other. I plan or running the subs on 1 polk 500.1 mono amp if that makes a difference of which subs I pick up.
  • 1996blackmax
    edited June 2006
    dual voice coil (DVC), single voice coil (SVC). You pick what ever works best for your application, one is not better than the other, maybe better for your needs is all....
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    Yup, neither performs better than the other, they just offer more variety so you can use different amps.

For instance, if youre using a 2 channel amp and are going to bridge it mono at 4 ohms then youd use a SVC sub.

If you were going to use a Class D amp at 2 ohms mono, youd want the DVC subs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    Im using this momo amp.
    http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/c500_1/

I will be getting 2 12" momo like mentioned above. Which subs do I need, the svc, or dvc?
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2006
    You want two 2124DVC.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2006
    amulford wrote:
    You want two 2124DVC.

Noooooo! That would either be a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load.

If youre going to be using that amp and 2 subs then youll need two MM2124 SVC's.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    OK cool. So two mm2124 svcs it is.
    So I guess the only questions remaining is what kind of HU would I need to connect a sound car to the sound system. And do I need a special sound card which has this connection. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I just wanted to say this forum is a great help. I've tried to get help from other forums but they don't seem to know what they are talking about. So, thanks for all the Polk people who have been helping me out.
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    With your setup, it will get very loud and still sound decent. Everyone on here are absolute SQ enthusiasts. Most people on here dont run rear speakers and are as near competition level as their budget allows :D

For the everyday person who just likes it loud and clear, your system will do that for you. When people here hear sound quality, it means to us a great frontstage setup to where everything hits you at the same time, a minimal amount of speakers, just pure sq, not really all that loud.

As far as getting your computer to work, the only way i know is to have the h701 b/c thats the only way ive seen it done. Im 100% sure thats not the only way, but the only way i know of.
    -Cody
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Noooooo! That would either be a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load.

If youre going to be using that amp and 2 subs then youll need two MM2124 SVC's.

Your right, I stand to be corrected. I run two DVC, but with a 2 channel amp. Sorry bout that...
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    How do i calculate how many watts this system is packing?
  • exalted512
    edited June 2006
    add up the RMS values of the amps
    -Cody
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    Just thought I would show you guys some progress pictures. Comments would be greatly appreciated. Good or bad.
    inside%20computer.jpg
    system%201.jpg
    system%202.jpg
    system3.jpg
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    Whao. Can't really tell, but it certainly looks like it's going to be awesome!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • titus2669
    edited June 2006
    Ok change in plans. I want to run it by you guys before I go any further.
    Below I made a picture and each color item represents a different item.
    I want to add 2 8inch subs instead of 2 of the 6x9s in the back. I also want to add 2 4 inch speakers on the sides. Please let me know if this looks like a better setup then before. Thanks
    RED= subs 2 8" 2 12"
    BROWN= Amps 2 400.4 1 500.1 1 300.2
    YELLOW= 4" speakers
    BLUE= 6x9 speakers

systemlayout.JPG
  • titus2669
    edited July 2006
    Ok well the system is coming along nicely. I just got my 4 6x9 polks speakers. My questions is, they came with that little computer box for each speaker. When I install these, should the little boxes be visible to the eye? Would it look better to have them showing or should I hide them. I have enough room on the custom rear seat delete to mount them ontop so they can be seen. I just don't want to mount them and everybody laugh at me cause they can be seen? Whats the rule in the audio world, showing or hidden?
  • hexon
    hexon Posts: 38
    edited July 2006
    Those little computer box things are crossovers. Dont show the crossovers. that would be way overkill + plus they arent that impressive. Place them where you can tweek them every now and then, but in an organized place. If you still want to place them where everyone can see them, then place them to the sides of your amp. I think that would look clean, as long as you hide the wiring.
    SHIFT_LOUD

polkaudio db675
    polkaudio db212-2
    Kenwood KAC-9102D 500 watts @ 4 ohms (850 watts @ 2 ohms)
    Sony 444watt amp

trunksig29ip.th.jpg
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2006
    Dont worry about putting the x-overs in a place where you can tweak them. Those x-overs cant be tweaked.

• titus2669
    edited July 2006
    Ok cool. I thought hidding them would look a little better too.

Well my plan was to run everything from a in-car computer. I have all the pieces to the sound system except two sets of components up front. And Im missing some pieces for the in-car computer.
    But Im selling the car now so I will not finish the project. I just wanted to mount these last speakers before it sold. here is a picture of the system, picture was taken before the 6x9s were installed.
    BTW the car is up on ebay if anybody is intersted.
    I would like to thank all the people who have helped me piece this system together and all the great advice.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=180012100106&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT
    system.JPG
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2006
    Wow. I'd certainly drive that! :D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • 1996blackmax
    edited July 2006
    As would I :D.
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • titus2669
    edited July 2006
    The sub box is a q-logic box which you can purchase. I got mine used from a local person but I think cardomain.com sells them. they come with either 10 inch or 12 inch openings for subs. All I did was just wrap the top with some black vinyl. Also if you buy the box and ur car has t-tops you wont be able to use the stock t-top holders anymore. With my setup I store the t-tops in the front of the nitrous bottles.
  • mopedbob
    mopedbob Posts: 12
    edited July 2006