Power conditioner shootout.

Options
Skynut
Skynut Posts: 2,967
edited June 2006 in Electronics
So I have a Panamax 5510 I have been using and I bought a Belkin PureAV PF-60 on sale and decided to compare them.

I hooked them up to my system for the electronics only. IE: DVD player, DLP, Pro, Sat, and XM rcvr.
The amps for my subs and my Sherbourn 7 channel all go through a pair of PSAudio upc 200's. (F1nuts recomendation, thanks)

They sounded the same to me, but I do not have a golden ear.
I like the weight and build quality of the Panamax better than the PF-60, but the PF-60 has a much beefier power cord.
I like the looks of the Panamax better also, it is black like all my other equipment and I like the analog meters.
The PF-60 has the digital display on the front but it can not be turned off, just down and up.

I noticed with the PF-60 that the voltage display is always changing, it ranged from 121.5 to 124.9 during the few days it was in place, I took this to mean it did no voltage regulating.
My Panamax is pretty steady at 120 on the meter.
The Panamax also claims to have Balanced power which is how I use it.

I can not really say if one did it's job better than the other but I decided to use the Panamax in the main rig and the PF-60 will go to the bedroom.

I just like the Panamax build quality and appearance better than the PF-60.

As for the PSAudio UPC-200's are well built units that are no frills.
Just a power cord going in and four comming out with a little light in front to let you know it is plugged in.
I figure my ears will not hear a difference between the Panamax and the PSAudio UPC-200 so it is really not worth it to try and switch them out.

On a final note:
At one point I had everything plugged into my Panamax and noticed it robbed the bass from my powered subs. It robbed them so much it caused me to go to the trouble of trying different approaches to power protection.
Now I have the PSAudio's on my amps and the system sounds great.

I am going to try and create a system showcase tonight so you all can see how my system is set up.

Hope this is/was informative for someone.
Skynut
SOPA® Founder
The system Almost there
DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
Sunfire Theater Grand II
Sherbourn 7/2100
Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
Sur FX1000
SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
Thanks for looking
Post edited by Skynut on

Comments

• zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Excellent write-up Sky.....

I think the PureAv looks spiffy btw
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • Skynut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks zombie.

I realized I should mention that the PureAV allows the user to select any of outlets to be switched and or delayed turn on. This is a nice feature for configuring your system the way you like.
    The Panamax has four switched outlets (if I remember) and they can be set for switched/delayed.
    Both the Panamax and the PF-60 are 12v triggered if you want but the PSAudio's are just on.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited June 2006
    Options
    You're welcome!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Yes, that was beneficial. Power conditioning/protection is something that has been on my mind for a while. It seems as the the PSAudio units really are the only thing to have on your amps. Do you have your sub connected to the PSAudio units, too? If so, has their output level returned to their previous level/authority?

I agree that the Panamax looks a little more professional, but just by a little bit. I see the Belkin cost just under $200; what does the Panamax run? Do you think I would be satisfied running my CDP, Pre, and later a tuner and cassette player off the Belkin?

Thanks!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • crazy
    crazy Posts: 443
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Skynut - thank you for the write-up. Extremely helpful. The Panamax 5510 seems to cost over $1K. Is that right?

I checked out the Belkin at Best Buy - its a beast!

It would be great to get a comparision between the Belkin and Monster power conditioners.

The Monster HTS 3600 is highly rated but is also a little more expensive at around $400.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AYDQB6/sr=8-3/qid=1150414155/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-9784805-6504065?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The Monster HTS 3500 on the other hand is only $150, cheaper than the Belkin and seems to do the job. I wonder how this compares to the Belkin.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Y2ZF/sr=8-1/qid=1150414155/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9784805-6504065?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It has an awesome blue light on the dial - makes it look almost like a MacIntosh gear :)
    Distant Dream - A New Beginning
    www.distantdream.com
    (Now also available on iTunes)
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I have found that power conditioning products seem to rob the subwoofer(s) of power, has anyone else noticed this? With my basement system I have the sub(s) directly into the wall now and they sound better, even my 12 year old could tell the difference without me prompting her.

I have only used the block style (as opposed to rack) from AR, Monster and RCA however.
  • Skynut
    edited June 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    Yes, that was beneficial. Power conditioning/protection is something that has been on my mind for a while. It seems as the the PSAudio units really are the only thing to have on your amps. Do you have your sub connected to the PSAudio units, too? If so, has their output level returned to their previous level/authority?

I agree that the Panamax looks a little more professional, but just by a little bit. I see the Belkin cost just under $200; what does the Panamax run? Do you think I would be satisfied running my CDP, Pre, and later a tuner and cassette player off the Belkin?

Thanks!

WHen I went from the wall to the PSAudio units I did not notice any loss of power.
    The PSAudios power all the speaker amps as well as the sub and Sherbourn.

I bought the Panamax from a gray vendor for a little over $800.00.

And yes I think the Belkin would do good for everything low amperage.
    I am going to open it up and look inside to see how well the circuits are seperated, I did this with the Panamax and was happy with the internal build quality.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

Thanks for looking
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Skynut, thanks for your thoughts.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • Sweeeezle
    Sweeeezle Posts: 28
    edited June 2006
    Options
    dbournival wrote:
    I have found that power conditioning products seem to rob the subwoofer(s) of power, has anyone else noticed this? With my basement system I have the sub(s) directly into the wall now and they sound better, even my 12 year old could tell the difference without me prompting her.

I have only used the block style (as opposed to rack) from AR, Monster and RCA however.

Hmmmmmm I have the 3500 mkII I havent done any testing on that theory but when my new SVSPB10 arrives on the 21st I may see if I can tell a difference. Which subs specifically are you referring to?
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Surround - Polk Monitor 5jr+
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Sony DVPNC85HB DVD Changer
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII
    Sony 50" KDF-E50A10

http://www.pbase.com/livverlips/stereo_shhhhhhtuff
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sweeeezle wrote:
    Hmmmmmm I have the 3500 mkII I havent done any testing on that theory but when my new SVSPB10 arrives on the 21st I may see if I can tell a difference. Which subs specifically are you referring to?
    I would really appreciate it if you did test that out and reported back what you found! I'm currently looking at the HTS3500.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sweeeezle wrote:

In my second setup, it has RT1000i's with built in "subs" and a PSW 404, that is the one that made the difference, I haven't tried it in my other setup (Boston) as I do not have a free outlet near the sub.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Skynut wrote:
    And yes I think the Belkin would do good for everything low amperage.
    I am going to open it up and look inside to see how well the circuits are seperated, I did this with the Panamax and was happy with the internal build quality.

Hi Sky,
    I have to disagree with you on the Belkin PF60 good for only low amperage. It has a bank for high current amps and does fine with my Krell 250x2 and Outlaw M200 plugged into it. Not sure if those classify as low amperage. All in all with my tv on and my whole system of amps, 2 preamps and sources on, it pulls about 3.5 amps from the wall. Though I would not plug 5 400 watt monoblocks into it. I think it will do fine with most systems.
    Venom
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Sweeeezle wrote:

I've got two PB10's plugged into mine with no problems.
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited June 2006
    Options
    dbournival wrote:

Yep, I noticed this little phenom a while back, not really sure why this happens. I even had them plugged into the "high current" amp section on my HTS-5100. Since then I plugged them (subs) directly in the wall. And to make sure I remembered correctly I did the test again last night, with a DVD looping throughout a scene, and YES, the bass is more defined when the subs are plugged directly in the wall outlet.

subs are "vintage" PSW-150's :D
    Scott
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Me too, I now run my power amp into the wall directly. The lower wattage equipment is plugged into my panamax.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2