Outlaw RR2150 vs Cambridge Audio Azur 540R?

Options
marker
marker Posts: 1,084
edited July 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm thinking of simplifying my office rig, among other things, mainly for better/easier sub integration.

The obvious choice seems to be the Outlaw, but the CA 540R is about the same price shipped, and even though it is really an AVR instead of a 2 channel receiver like the Outlaw, it is very, very good at 2 channel music as well. I know cause my sis and bro-in- law have one driving Energy Connoisseur speakers.

While I have never heard the Outlaw, although my NHT A1 bass amps are identical to Outlaw monoblocks.

Another thing is that the lowest sub crossover point on the Outlaw is 60 Hz, while the CA goes as low as 40 Hz.

My speakers are NHT Classic Three with dual Carver/Sunfire Dominator D10 subs.

Current amp is a CA Azur 640A integrated.

I realize this is prolly a long shot at best, but has anyone actually heard both of these two, and if so, thoughts?
Post edited by marker on

Comments

• marker
    edited June 2006
    Options
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm a fan of CA (especially their CDPs), but I like Outlaw better. I have not heard those two particular pieces of gear but I'm very familiar with both brands. I have always like the looks of that receiver and have seriously considered getting one.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • marker
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Well I picked up a new CA 540R for $399 shipped off of ebay. Even though it was really for the 2 channel office rig, me being me, just out of curiosity, I had to hook it up at home in the NHT M5/L5 surround set up first to see what it was like.

WOW! :eek:

I am very impressed with this little AVR! It drives the 6 ohm, low sensitivity NHT Evolutions extremely well. I think it just flat out sounds better than the NAD T753 I had on that same rig.

It seems to be just as powerful, if not maybe even a little more so than the NAD. It does have a toroidal transformer while the T753 doesn't. It also has 24/192 dacs while the T753's are 24/96. I'd rather have a NAD T763 than the CA 540R, but not the T753. Then again, the T763 costs about double the 540R too.

If someone is in the market for an AVR in the $750 or so and under price range and is more concerned with sound quality than features, this should be on the very short list cause this is the ONLY ball game in town. Name me another new AVR at even anything even close to that retail price point with a toroid tranny AND 24/192 dacs. You can't. Actually, 24/192 dacs are not really that uncommon anymore in AVRs under $1000, but a toroid tranny is virtually unheard of at this price point or below. As far as I know, this is the ONLY one.

I'm now very seriously considering selling the NAD T753 and to use the funds from it to replace it permanently with another CA 540R, or to just keep the 540R I've got where it is and use that money from selling the NAD to maybe try to pick up the Outlaw for the office rig. Or, maybe just use the T753 in the office rig.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Wow. Great lil' AVR, huh?

Now you oughta get rid of the NAD and pick up the Outlaw. Then you could compare them both and let us know how it turns out, since apparently none of us could tell you.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • dipiazza
    dipiazza Posts: 363
    edited June 2006
    Options
    If you plan on getting the Outlaw... plan on waiting... my brother has had it on order for over a month and it doesnt look good. Check this out... about 1/2 way down.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/news/Jun06.html

I bet its gonna be a long while, especially if you order now.
    Terps Swimming!
    HT Setup
    TV: Vizio VX32L
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D914
    HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2
    Fronts: Polk R50s
    Surounds: Polk R30s
    Center: Polk R20's
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi

2CH Setup
    Integrated: Onix SP3 Tube
    CD Player: Sony CDP-CX355
    Speakers: Onix Strata Mini in PR Finish
    Signal Cable: Classic Speaker, Analog 1 IC

Headphones
    Grado SR 60, Bang & Olufsen A8, Shure e3

Other Stuff in Use
    Onix xls, Dual Onix x-subs, Onix Ref .5, Dahlquist M903, Teac A-1D, Marantz 1060
  • marker
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Does anyone know for sure if the Outlaw model has a toroidal transformer?

The Outlaw sure looks cool though.:cool:
  • marker
    edited June 2006
    Options
    audiobliss wrote:
    Wow. Great lil' AVR, huh?

Yes it is! So much so in fact, that it now has me seriously questioning if anything more than that is even needed for movies.
  • marker
    edited July 2006
    Options
    marker wrote:
    Does anyone know for sure if the Outlaw model has a toroidal transformer?

The Outlaw sure looks cool though.:cool:

Bump. Found out that the Outlaw DOES in fact have a toroidal transformer, so I put my advance order in for one. Looks like my NAD T753 AVR will be going to the flea market eventually.

Thanks to dipiazza for the info and link.
  • dipiazza
    dipiazza Posts: 363
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Good luck! Make sure to let us know when you get it!

-Jake
    Terps Swimming!
    HT Setup
    TV: Vizio VX32L
    Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D914
    HD-DVD Player: Toshiba HD-A2
    Fronts: Polk R50s
    Surounds: Polk R30s
    Center: Polk R20's
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PCi

2CH Setup
    Integrated: Onix SP3 Tube
    CD Player: Sony CDP-CX355
    Speakers: Onix Strata Mini in PR Finish
    Signal Cable: Classic Speaker, Analog 1 IC

Headphones
    Grado SR 60, Bang & Olufsen A8, Shure e3

Other Stuff in Use
    Onix xls, Dual Onix x-subs, Onix Ref .5, Dahlquist M903, Teac A-1D, Marantz 1060