Happy Camper Here!!!!

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, as a few already know, the upgrade bug took a big huge chunk out of my ****, lately. I picked up SCompRacer's Amazings when I delivered my SDA 2As to Dagame27 in Chicago, a few weekends ago. I just recently struck a deal with Madmax for his last JoLida SJ-302A, so I hope to see it in the next week or two. Rich is also sending me his old PS Audio Xtream Bi-wires(I think I got that right:o ), as he just upgraded to MIT all around.

I feel like a kid in a candy store again. I actually went over 6 months without a single upgrade:eek: .

I definitely have to get a rack and soon. That'll have to be the next purchase, then onto upgrading ICs. I'd like to have all the same brand all around, but I've had better luck, so far, with mixing and matching ICs for the best synergy and noise reduction.

Anyways, it's great to back in the sickness.......at least I think so.:p
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Haha, glad to have you back in action.

Sounds like you're going to have a sweet system! What's the output on that Jolida?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    50wpc rms, with either 75 or 85 peak. Uses EL34s, 12AX7s, and 12AT7s.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    dont forget to keep me posted on that Jolida impressions wise

congrats brotha :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    How's the Baby doing with the Bozaks??
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    I feel like a kid in a candy store again. I actually went over 6 months without a single upgrade:eek: .

I used to try and not upgrade and this would always happen to me. Always ended up spending twice the money when it caught up to me.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Well in my case it wasn't a choice. I was out of work for almost 4 months.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    50wpc? And 75 or 85 peak? That's pretty sweet! I predict you're going to like it! :D

Now you just need you some Klipsch Heritage speakers....;)
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    How's the Baby doing with the Bozaks??

sweet, smooth, very pleasant. surprisingly clear and accurate for Bozaks too. can get just a skosh harsh at high volume, but I think that is my tile floor, since I noticed it when I removed my rug from the floor for cleaning.

also, my listening area is in itself very "active", or the exact opposite of dead.

I run the baby now with no preamp (it has a volume pot) with just the Jolida player as a source. it sounds a little cleaner without the Anthem preamp.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ohskigod wrote:
    sweet, smooth, very pleasant. surprisingly clear and accurate for Bozaks too. can get just a skosh harsh at high volume, but I think that is my tile floor, since I noticed it when I removed my rug from the floor for cleaning.

also, my listening area is in itself very "active", or the exact opposite of dead.

I run the baby now with no preamp (it has a volume pot) with just the Jolida player as a source. it sounds a little cleaner without the Anthem preamp.

Cool!!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:

Rich is also sending me his old PS Audio Xtream Bi-wires(I think I got that right:o )....

Close.....PS Audio xStream Statement Biwire cables. 2.5 meter. In fancy presentation bags and original boxes.:cool:

You should have them tomorrow afternoon. Good to see you back in the aquiring mode.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Fat pipes!!!:cool: :D
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm sure you'll love those Carvers!

Let us know how the Jolida sounds with them and how the bass response is.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm always looking at the Prima Luna Prologue 3 preamp......must resist, cannot spend....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ah just the right time for an inventory reduction sale.. Noel you should be accustomed to that kind of lingo.. :D

last time, you ended up with my rig, LOL see anything ya like? what can i do to get you into this rig today? heheh!! (car salesman lingo)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I do need to let some gear go, but I have no luck selling anything here and I really hate to deal with EBay.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Whoa Noel, you've gone mad!:cool:
    You're gonna love that Jolida. EL34 are awesome tubes and are a blast to roll. I've done them all except Ei.
    I love the Mullard re-issues. It's one of the sweetest tube I've heard (euphonic sound all the way).
    Stay away from the JJ KT77 for now. I know I raved about them but it seems there are some bad batches that went out. Some people can't get the bias to stabilize, my 77's started doing the same thing so I gave them to a guitarist to play around with.

Congrats and let us know how it sounds. And remember to post some pics.

Maurice
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    EL34 are awesome tubes and are a blast to roll. Maurice

I kept going back and forth between the EL34 sound and the 6550 sound. Ones better, no the other one is better, no... Never did settle on one vs the other.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:
    Yeah, I do need to let some gear go, but I have no luck selling anything here and I really hate to deal with EBay.

Whaddya got?? I'm in the need of some sources...;)
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited June 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    Stay away from the JJ KT77 for now. I know I raved about them but it seems there are some bad batches that went out. Some people can't get the bias to stabilize, my 77's started doing the same thing so I gave them to a guitarist to play around with.
    Mine are still OK, but I am not sure for how long. This is what Paul Gryzbek said about KT77 when I told him I would use KT77 with his TAD-60:
    I like the JJ 77's too. They maintain the 34's detailed harmonic structuring, with a faster bottom. Look like they may last longer too - once the new bad are weeded out. My first batch of 50 had 9 weak or dead - and they were factory matched pairs! 5 mA at 100 Volts under computer control is not the best tube tester matcher. All tubes I supply are full load tested and matched under real conditions, much more realistic than those matching sticker boxes I used to believe.
    almost 20% failure rate, but it may not be too out of norm for a new tube ......

Noel, you come back in a vengeance ;)

-fredv-
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Cool Beans Noel, some great grabs, now, speaking of connects, ya think Rich might of had a reason he switched????

Have fun my man, hope to see at the fest.

RT1
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    He had been using silver ICs and got the MITs and fell in love with them. He then got a good deal on the MIT speaker cables, from Mark, so he had a matching set, which gave him a bit more synergy and bass response, I believe. I'm using his hand-me-down Tara RSC Prime Bi-Wires that he turned into singles for me on the SRS2s and will be using the PS Audios on the Carvers. I do know that he has been very pleased with the PS Audios, but Rich is an IC/speaker cable junkie as bad as I'm a speaker junkie.:D
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,363
    edited June 2006
    Options
    IC junkie..LOL Guess I been though a few. Not anymore.:D

Having other interests in life up till 1 & 1/2 years ago, I was happy with my old 85 WPC Yammie receiver, CDP, and Infinity speakers I had recently refoamed. Zip cord speaker cables. OEM IC's.

Between this forum and my bud Normanality, what a ride it has been. I was a picky bastage, but I am done looking for IC's now. Chuck best summed up the MIT's. They just sound......right. :cool: Detail without the brightness of my favorite silver cables. I ended up putting tubes back in the pre amp that were too bright with the Lapis IC's.

I remember when Normanality first brought some old Monster Quad 4's over and replaced the zip cord speaker cables on my first pair of SDA's. Then he hit me with the Tara Labs RSC Prime. What an improvement. The PS Audio were just slightly better IIRC. I was using a high current SS amp at that time.

The PS Audio xStreams are a fine speaker cable though, you heard them. The MIT S3 speaker cables are more transparent and did improve the mid-bass in my system. The covers are now back on the pre and CDP, secured with screws. Now I gotta work on aquiring a better TT.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    So that means I've got your last three sets of speaker cables.:p
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I feel like a kid in a candy store again. I actually went over 6 months without a single upgrade .
    I wish I could go that long!Enjoy your new toy.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Tubes are a warming!!!

More later on.
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The JoLida sounds incredible with the SRS2s, but hasn't enough low-end with the Carvers. I'll try bi-amping the Carvers with the PSound on the bottom and the JoLida on the top and see how that works.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Glad to see you enjoying the hobby again Noel. We were all pulling for you during your job hunt. I know it must have been tough. I'm really happy for ya!:)

You've got some nice stuff! I haven't tasted the tubes yet (the operative word yet) but a tube CDP is in my relatively near future.

I have the PS Audio Extreme Statement bi-wires and I really like them. They are big and brutal to move around.

Tell us about what you been listening to on your new stuff Happy Camper:D ?
    Carl

• ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    QUOTE=schwarcw]
    Tell us about what you been listening to on your new stuff Happy Camper:D ?

A little Dire Straights' "Sultans of Swing" hdcd,, Pattie Larkin, Marcy Playground's first release(excellent SQ), and Soulive's "Steady Goovin: The Blue Note Groove Sides" http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=10405 last night. If you like funky jazz, this is an excellent recording. Hits really low on a few tracks. If you decide to give it a try, be warned about the bass on a few tracks.

I'm very impressed with the JoLida with the SRS 2s, not as much with the Carvers. They are just too demanding. I'd need at least as many watts as the McAlister for them to sound right. Just not enough low end grunt. It'd probably be fine if I hooked up the Audiosource 10" sealed sub I have to fill the bottom end, but I'd have to do it with speaker level inputs, as the JoLida has no outputs. I think the little sub would keep up with the ribbons too, it's pretty musical.
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited June 2006
    Options
    ND13 wrote:

I'm very impressed with the JoLida with the SRS 2s, not as much with the Carvers. They are just too demanding. I'd need at least as many watts as the McAlister for them to sound right. Just not enough low end grunt. It'd probably be fine if I hooked up the Audiosource 10" sealed sub I have to fill the bottom end, but I'd have to do it with speaker level inputs, as the JoLida has no outputs. I think the little sub would keep up with the ribbons too, it's pretty musical.

Well, after you unload some of your "excess" gear :D swing on by. I'll make you a great deal on my original McAlister. He may not know how to run a business, but his design does have more grunt on the bottom end than anything I've heard in the price range.
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Well, after you unload some of your "excess" gear :D swing on by. I'll make you a great deal on my original McAlister. He may not know how to run a business, but his design does have more grunt on the bottom end than anything I've heard in the price range.

Is yours the very first design, cosmetically like Rich's, or the later one that is laid out differently, as in more balanced looking?