What will fit in the rear deck of a 99 honda Prelude?

rgnage
rgnage Posts: 2
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 99 Honda Prelude and I would like to replace the rear deck 6 X 9s with something better. I would llike to put in either the db 690s or the mmc 690s, but I am not sure they will fit or what modifications would be required. I put db6500 components in my doors with slight modifications and now I would like to upgrade my rear speakers.

I have seen some people in the reviews and the forums say that they have one of the above speakers in their rear deck of a 97-01 prelude. However, crutchfield says they will not fit and I am wondering why? Does anybody know if they just drop in or if I have to do some modifications the the rear deck?

I am not afraid of some slight modifications, but I am definately not skilled enough to pull out a plasma cutter or something and cut up my rear deck if that is what it takes.

Thanks.
Post edited by rgnage on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    Have you called Crutchfield to ask them why it wont fit? You could alway give it a shot and see if you could make them work.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    Both Crutchfield and Polk have fit guides so you can figure out what fits where.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2006
    You will need to replace the deck too. The OEM deck has the feedback system employed. I put in JBL 6x9 triaxials in my rear deck ('99 Prelude) after replacing deck with an Alpine unit.
    [
  • rgnage
    rgnage Posts: 2
    edited June 2006
    Thank you all for the replies. I have looked in many fit guides (crutchfield and polk included). I have contacted crutchfield via e-mail and they were only slightly helpful. The only bit of useful info that they gave me is that the Polk db690s would not fit because they are too deep and the tweeters stick up too much for the factory grills. They suggested a set of alpine 6 X 9s that are 2 ohms, and my aftermarket head unit will not work with that. I am really looking for someone that has put polk 6 x 9s (or other brand) in a 97-01 prelude and see if any modifications were required or if the factory grills needed to be discarded or modified.