My amp doesnt work?!?!?

eatsleepplayscc
eatsleepplayscc Posts: 27
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
On the hottest day of the year in the Texas heat, my subwoofers' amp turns off. It was like 101 degrees F today. I had been listenin to my music with my subwoofers bumping for about 5 minutes, when I noticed my subwoofers stopped bumpin. My speakers are not amped, so they continued to play with no problem. I pulled over, and turned my car off. I put my back seats down, so that I could see my amp's lights as i turned it back on. When i turned the ignition, the amp's thermal red light turned on for half a second, and then turned off. I wasn't sure if my amp was telling me that it was simply temporarily too hot at the time, or if my amp was permanently damaged. It's been only 2 hours since it's happened, and I haven't played my system since. Is my amp completely messed up, or is it just too hot right now?
Post edited by eatsleepplayscc on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    It should not take too long for the amp to cool down. If after two hours it still does not turn on there is something wrong with it. Do you have enough room around the amp?
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    Yeah, sounds like it just got too hot. You should 1st check the gain to see that its not turned up too high and then make sure youve got plenty of space around the amps so that they can cool properly.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eatsleepplayscc
    edited June 2006
    i've had this amp for over a year now, and never have i had this problem. Also, it's been two days, and still the amp's thermal light simply blinks when i turn the ignition... i havent touched the gain since i first mingled it when i bought it, so i dont think thats the issue. Again, the amp hasnt moved for a year, so i think theres plenty of space around it
  • eatsleepplayscc
    edited June 2006
    wow no help wutsoever?
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    The only things that I could think of is that either the amp has malfunctioned and needs to be sent in for repair, or the speaker wires are shorting out somewhere. Check the speaker wire run for any contact points with bare metal, as well as the woofer's connections. This might be a long shot, but still worth looking into.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • eatsleepplayscc
    edited June 2006
    aite thanks, im gonna get the wiring checked out tommorow
  • hexon
    hexon Posts: 38
    edited June 2006
    On my only sub and amp, I was going down the road and the subs completely stopped working. I figured out after taking the sub out of the box that the speaker wires came of of the sub's terminals, so I just plugged it back in and it worked again. Some amps shut of if there is a problem, so if the wires did something funky then the amp may have turned itself off. You may need to check the amp's fuses and the power wire fuse, too. That could have something to do with it.
    SHIFT_LOUD

polkaudio db675
    polkaudio db212-2
    Kenwood KAC-9102D 500 watts @ 4 ohms (850 watts @ 2 ohms)
    Sony 444watt amp

trunksig29ip.th.jpg