Consonance Reference 2.2 tubed vs. jolida

Options
Midnite Mick
Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I have an opportunity to purchase the Consonance and flip the jolida. Any thoughts on said cd player. In your opinion is it a worthy upgrade.

Consonance $1100cdn...if gets full price will throw in Audioquest AudioTruth Opal X3 for 50cdn

flip Jolida for prob. 650.00cdn

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike
Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Consonance cd120T
Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
Post edited by Midnite Mick on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Do it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Midnite Mick
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Looks like I will be demoing the Consanonce tomorrow. He is also allowing me to bring the Jolida. Although with what we have it won't be the ideal A/B.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I've owned a couple Consonance products and was very pleased with them. I would also say ditch the Jolida and experience something new.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Midnite Mick
    edited June 2006
    Options
    What are your thoughts on the interconnect. Would you pay full price for the consonance and throw in 50 for the interconnect or just try to get the consonance for a grand. Thanks guys.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• Early B.
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Yeah, man, cables, too.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Take serious advantage of your dealer's offer. Listen to everything and concentrate on some specific passages of a wide variety. That should help you decide what's best for your ears.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I'm all ears, let us know what your impressions were. A picture or two would be nice:D
    Carl

• Midnite Mick
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• Early B.
    edited June 2006
    Options
    If you buy it, upgrade the caps and roll the tube.

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    If you buy it, upgrade the caps and roll the tube.

What brand of papers do you suggest for that tube...Jokers or JOBs???:eek: ;)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Looks nice. I like that is has upsampling, balanced and RCA outputs. Let us know how you like it.

Carl
    Carl

• Midnite Mick
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I just got back from auditioning the Consonance. I had the Jolida/PS Audio statement cord with me and we were able to interchange the 2 players but there was a good minute in between the two. This made the comparisons a little tougher, but these are my thoughts.

The Consonance sounds more open, with ever so slightly more forward highs and with a little more resolution. It does this while at the same time in no way sounding harsh or digital, which is what I love about tube players. The vocals of the Consonance are a lot more forward and just sounded sweeter, making me feel more involved in the music. The Jolida does have more weight in the mid bass and an overall heavier sound. Overall though, given the current state of the two cd players I feel that the Consonance is the better player. I guess at over twice the price it should be.

Therefore, I purchased the Consonance with Quail power cord and the 1m Audioquest AudioTruth Opal X3 interconnects.

Purchase Price.........$1050Cdn

There's my thoughts and my end result. Thanks for showing an interest.

Mike

PS. another thing that I really like is the fact I can get some upgrades locally at a fraction of the cost it would have costed me to upgrade the Jolida
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I can get some upgrades locally at a fraction of the cost it would have costed me to upgrade the Jolida
    That's definitely good. What kind of mods are available for this? Basically the same as what's available for the Jolida?

Congrats on the purchase!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Midnite Mick
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks.

As far as I know swapping the caps for sonics and tube rolling.

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

• dorokusai
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Geography is usually a good thing when it comes to gear....Jolida is a DC area benefit for example.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Early B.
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Great! Take some pics. We wanna see the guts exposed.

• dorokusai
    edited June 2006
    Options
    You may want to actually listen to it for awhile before you get it in your head that you need to immediately "upgrade" it.

There used to be days when people actually listened to a piece of gear based on its own merits.
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks.

As far as I know swapping the caps for sonics and tube rolling.

Mike
    Consonance is a reputable Upscale brand of gear to begin with. i would try to stick to tube rolling. in other words" if i aint broke, dont fix it" thanks....WCW III
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited June 2006
    Options
    You may want to actually listen to it for awhile before you get it in your head that you need to immediately "upgrade" it.

There used to be days when people actually listened to a piece of gear based on its own merits.

True dat!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Congrats on your new CDP.

Another school of thought would say that doing proven upgrades will only enhance your listening experience. Enjoy!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk