4 speakers on 2 channels (2 ohm)

gredd
gredd Posts: 4
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an MTX 4 channel amp I just took out of a truck I am selling. In the truck I was running a set of DB components in the doors, and the other 2 channels were bridged for a 12" sub. I would like to install this set-up in my car and run 4 full-range speakers on 2 channels (the other 2 for the sub). My question is about wiring the speakers in parallel so that the amp sees a 2 Ohm load. I know that you should run the + connection from one speaker to the next, then to the amp (same for neg.). But I am wondering if you would get the same result if you just ran both speakers to the amp and piggy-backed the connections to one channel? I suck at explaining - hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks
Post edited by gredd on

Comments

• 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    I assume you are going to be running front and rear speakers. If this is the case I would advice you not to bridge the amp to all of the speakers. You want your music to be coming at you from the front. If you have them all connected to only two channels you will loose your ability to fade the sound more towards the front. If at this time you cannot do this, I would run it the same way you had it in your truck.

If you still want to do this, then yes + to + and - to - for the connections.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • gredd
    gredd Posts: 4
    edited June 2006
    Yeah, they are front and back - I don't really care about the fade, this system is just a quick and dirty. It will never be what it was in my truck - that was back from the glory days when I did installs and got gear for 40% off.
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    If you do not really care about the soundstage then bridging it would work for you.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin