"Modded" Kimber Heros

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
As many of you know, I'm an ardent proponent of modifications. The only thing I haven't tried, until now, was experimenting with modded cables.

I've had a pair of Kimber Heros on my 2-channel system for over 2 years, so I'm very familiar with how they sound, especially on my reference recordings. I decided to swap them out for a DIY pair of Heros with Eichmann bullet plugs. What I hear now is more transparent than the stock Heros. For instance, I can hear the faint echo in the vocals just like you'll hear in a recording studio. I'm also hearing a bit more detail. Pretty exciting stuff.

I read about the Eichmanns and people who have heard them seem to be split on whether or not they make a sonic difference. After this experience, I'll join the camp that says they offer a slight improvement over traditional RCA plugs.

These differences aren't night and day, but enough to warrant the "upgrade." BTW, the DIY Heros were less expensive than the stock Heros. They look cool, too (even though they're plastic). My plan was to get my hands on a set of AQ Jaguars, but I decided to hold onto my Kimbers for a while longer.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Glad to see your a freak too.When your ready to toss the HERO'S
    let me know.Have some eichmann bullets and also agree,slight
    improvement.Enjoy,tweeking is so much fun!:)
    BTW-please tell me you didn't buy those rocks to put on top of your cdp!!
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Very cool. What did you mean when you said the DIY Hero's are cheaper than stock? I thought you upgraded the stock Hero's.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2006
    Options
    organ wrote:
    Very cool. What did you mean when you said the DIY Hero's are cheaper than stock? I thought you upgraded the stock Hero's.

It means I sold the stock Heros and purchased the modded ones for about $30 less than the stock version.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Ah, I get it.:)