"Squeak" and General Cut Offs

VR3
VR3 Posts: 28,528
edited February 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
On my truck, the left front tire "squeaks" in intervals...

If I slightly press the brake in, the squeak goes away - but it only happens on the left front tire... and it happens at any speed, just faster paced at faster speeds...

But could my brake be rubbing?

I also have "brake chatter" as my grandpaw called it, like when I brake - my front end will jump...

Would this be the underlying cause?

During the morning after my truck has set for about 7-8 hours, when I start it up, it will be at about 1,500 RPM - then will settle down to the normall 7-600 rpm.

Anyways, at first the truck will jump to 2,000 rpm, then down to 1,500 rpm - then it will "fall" to like 3-400 rpm, then jump back up to the 1.5 range, and sometimes the truck will actually cut off...

What could cause this?

Thanks for your help as always.
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited June 2006
    You need to replace your brake pad(s), and if this has been going on a while you'll most likely need to replace your rotors or have them turned.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    What could cause this?

Your truck is afraid, very afraid...
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cam5860
    cam5860 Posts: 632
    edited June 2006
    What you have going on with the brakes is what they call brake pulsating.

The cause of this is warped rotors you need to have the rotors turned depending how warped they are or just buy new ones and also replace the brake pads also.

That should fix the brake problem. Now for the idling problem it sounds like to me the idle senoid sensor is at fault. But you need to put it on the computer monitor and check the codes to be sure.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
    The squeak(brake sensor) will get worse, time for new pads and get the rotors turned.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited June 2006
    You also want to check about the [brake] caliper slides (depending on how they are built). A warped rotor can ruin them and if so, the caliper will eat up pads in the future and possibly chatter even with a new rotor. Also, just don't take the mechanics word for it... some calipers are very loose by design.

Additionally, chatter and warped rotors can be caused by a spindle or hub bearing going bad or unadjusted.

The startup problem may be the choke releasing too early(carb engine), or the ECM reading the temperature rise too early from the temp sensor (Throttle body or EFI engines)

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2006
    You also want to check about the [brake] caliper slides (depending on how they are built). A warped rotor can ruin them and if so, the caliper will eat up pads in the future and possibly chatter even with a new rotor. Also, just don't take the mechanics word for it... some calipers are very loose by design.

Additionally, chatter and warped rotors can be caused by a spindle or hub bearing going bad or unadjusted.

The startup problem may be the choke releasing too early(carb engine), or the ECM reading the temperature rise too early from the temp sensor (Throttle body or EFI engines)
    youre alive!
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    Yeah, that was his one post for the year. We wont hear from him again til '07.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited June 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Yeah, that was his one post for the year. We wont hear from him again til '07.

Roflmao...

So sadly true....

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited February 2008
    Anyways, at first the truck will jump to 2,000 rpm, then down to 1,500 rpm - then it will "fall" to like 3-400 rpm, then jump back up to the 1.5 range, and sometimes the truck will actually cut off...

What could cause this?

Thanks for your help as always.

Experiencing the same problem here with a 2000 Nissan Maxima, but it only happens once in a blue moon. The car will idle roughly and the RPMs will go down and then jump back up a little, and then go back down. It happens most on cold winter days. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I've already asked audiobliss but he is not sure.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited February 2008
    is it a manual?
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    is it a manual?

As in stick shift? No, it's an automatic.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    Any suggestions guys?

IIRC, I was told by audiobliss that it could be something like bad spark plugs, or something totally different. But it happens so rarely that I almost feel like blaming it on bad gasoline or just Murphy's Law or something like that...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited February 2008
    Sids is just a standard cold weather start up setting.

I would be looking more towards the Idle Air Controller (IAC) or Idle Air Solenoid (IAS) issue.
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    HiPerf360 wrote: »
    Sids is just a standard cold weather start up setting.

I would be looking more towards the Idle Air Controller (IAC) or Idle Air Solenoid (IAS) issue.

Is this easy to fix? I don't want it to become a problem since right now the car runs fine except for this minor issue.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited February 2008
    It's the brakes. My truck does the same thing when it's time for them to be replaced.
  • Serendipity
    edited February 2008
    SolidSqual wrote: »
    It's the brakes. My truck does the same thing when it's time for them to be replaced.

Oh sorry...I meant the rough idling problem. The car has new brake pads, rotors, and an alignment was done in the past month or so.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1