Review of the 12bz7 Tubes

Options
faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Ok i bought these tubes from Early B, He tried them in his Jolida but decided to pass them along..

I'm not real good or techical on reviews..
These were used in the driver stage of my 6v6 push pull power amp

First off, I noticed a better defined lower end, I think they also have a higher gain then the standard 12ax7 tube as they seemed more powerful volume wise.. Its alittle lax on the top end and doesnt have as much sparkle as my EH 12ax7's.. they have a more defined overall sound as well. mid range is ok to me.. not the best but certainly better then some.

Its a chance trying these in place of the 12ax7.. I have a 50's /60's amp with old iron and the transformer doesnt get any warmer with these in..

I'm afraid to try them in my pas 3 pre as the transformer is pretty wimpy in that..

Over all i have left them in since yesterday and like them.. They came to me in NOS original boxes which is a big plus.. look mint/new

I'm running the Rt25i speakers with the tube pre by dynaco
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Cool. Glad you like the so far.

I may try them again one day. I e-mailed Jolida today about using them in my amp, and I'll pass along their response when (or if) I receive it.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    Options
    My bet is the guys at Jolida will tell you not to use any tube except the original ones that shipped with your amp. I hear they are a little dickish. Let us know what they say though.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited June 2006
    Options
    madmax wrote:
    My bet is the guys at Jolida will tell you not to use any tube except the original ones that shipped with your amp. I hear they are a little dickish. Let us know what they say though.
    madmax

Got a reply yesterday. It simply said, "According to the tube substitution book, no."

Is that considered a dickish response?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Ha ha, maybe. If you aint buyin, we aint tryin... Good thing they make such a good product.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Cool review Cliff. Glad you're enjoying them and that they're working out in your amp. So like it better than EH?
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Yeah i think i do, they are more alive..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp