Dynamat type products

Bran
Bran Posts: 8
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey I was wondering about how to use these sound deadening products? I have read alot about using the name brand dynamat or even roofing material from home depot. I was thinking this might be a good thing to do at the same time as installing the new speakers....I have a 98 jeep cherokee sport with door speakers and rear roof speakers. It looks like you just line the surface that the speaker sound will bounce off?? or do you live the surface its mounted too, so that the - waves cant come into the car??

Also, I want to install an amp under the front passenger seat...do I have to cut the carpet or anything? Can I just screw it into the flooring, carpet and all? Do you think its a fire hazard due to trapped heat?

Brandon
Post edited by Bran on

Comments

• badboyspack
    badboyspack Posts: 10
    edited June 2006
    clean the area where you are going to put it and lay it down, there is nothing to it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    You can mount the amp under the seat but first you have to check to make sure that it has plenty of clearance for air flow. As for **** it down, you can do that but just make damn sure youre not drilling into wires or anything like that.

My carpet is pretty thick and I have a layer of sound damping underneath. Rather than drill thru the sheetmetal I just screwed my amps into that. It holds them into place very well and unless you yank em out, theyre not going anywhere. If youre carpet is similar, you might consider doing the same.

As for the Dynamat, youll be using it more for vibration damping than soundproofing. If youre going to mount your speakers in the doors then you should apply a heavy dose to the inner and outer door panel as well as the door skin. This will make the door a much better place for a speaker.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    You can mount the amp under the seat but first you have to check to make sure that it has plenty of clearance for air flow. As for **** it down, you can do that but just make damn sure youre not drilling into wires or anything like that.

My carpet is pretty thick and I have a layer of sound damping underneath. Rather than drill thru the sheetmetal I just screwed my amps into that. It holds them into place very well and unless you yank em out, theyre not going anywhere. If youre carpet is similar, you might consider doing the same.

As for the Dynamat, youll be using it more for vibration damping than soundproofing. If youre going to mount your speakers in the doors then you should apply a heavy dose to the inner and outer door panel as well as the door skin. This will make the door a much better place for a speaker.
    agreed 100%, also, if you do screw it down through the floor, look under the vehicle to make sure youre not **** into a gas tank or something like that either.

and second skin's sound deadening is the best stuff i have yet to come across, period. Plus, its cheaper than dynamat
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2006
    fat mat isnt butyl based
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    Second Skin is the way to go...
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2006
    exalted512 wrote:
    fat mat isnt butyl based
    -Cody

Butyl is the largest substituent for which trivial names are commonly used for all isomers.