Ei Elite 6DJ8EG

Options
W WALDECKER
W WALDECKER Posts: 900
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
i just got a quad of these today, they have a A frame construction similar to some of the earlier NOS Western European 6DJ8s and they have two ridges at the top of the bottle which was found on Amperex , Siemens and Telefunken tubes. i just rolled them into the BAT VK 3i and they sounded pretty nice cold right out of the box. i am waiting for a replacement midbass driver for my Loreleis so i am using Studio 100 v3s till i can get my babies up and running again. they sound good thru the Reference Studio Paradigms. i will let the Ei Elite 6DJ8EGs burn in for a few days and give my impressions on them. i just got off of the phone with Klaus Bunge at Odyssey Audio and he said i should get my replacement Scanspeak 8545 by friday. by then the tubes shoud be settled in nicely. thanks....WCW III
Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
.Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
Post edited by W WALDECKER on

Comments

• beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited May 2006
    Options
    these are the gold pins , correct ?
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • W WALDECKER
    edited May 2006
    Options
    beardog03 wrote:
    these are the gold pins , correct ?
    yes sir!
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • beardog03
    edited May 2006
    Options
    cool..!
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2006
    Options
    What are you going to compare them to? Don't you have some 7308?

Gold pins don't matter much, unless you've got gold sockets also. Dissimilar metals making contact can actually accelerate corrosion in some cases.

Thanks RCG Esq. IV
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Very cool. I'm very interested to hear your opinion on this tube.
    I have a pair labeled "Jolida" (thanks Noel!) that I'm going to try on my GTA pre-amp when it comes back.

The small signal tubes from Ei have a very bad rep. Usually noise and microphonic. Looks like you got your quad from a good dealer that tests them. They'll probably need about 50hrs of break in before they blossom.
    Enjoy your tubes, bro.
  • W WALDECKER
    edited May 2006
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    What are you going to compare them to? Don't you have some 7308?

Gold pins don't matter much, unless you've got gold sockets also. Dissimilar metals making contact can actually accelerate corrosion in some cases.

Thanks RCG Esq. IV
    Yeah Russman. i have Amperex 7308s but i dont really care for them in the VK 3i. on the other hand i really liked them in the Anthem Pre 1L, go figure! the VK 3i is smooth and clear as a bell but it is not very euphonic.in fact i really wanted to see if i prefer them over the Sovtecs in this particular circuit. thanks...WCW III
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2006
    Options
    That all sounds complicated but enjoy:D
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • W WALDECKER
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The Ei Elite 6DJ8EGs have been running in my system for around 60 hours.i will throw out a few observations based on using these twin triodes in my particular system. Pitch black background. bass response is very good.the midrange sounds terrific. there is a little Hi Fi sparkle on the top but not even close to the point of being bright. these tubes have outperformed both my very expensive Amperex 7308s and the factory supplied Sovtecs when used in my Balanced Audio Technology VK 3i Linestage.for $8.95 a pop i would recommend for anyone using a preamp with 6DJ8/ 6922/7308 tubes to give them a try. thanks....WCW III
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2006
    Options
    William, where did you purchase them, I can't find any online stores that have them in stock
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I've tried the EI Elite golds in my Dodd ELP- They sound okay there, but they're not my favorites. They're real mellow sounding to me- which works well on some music- but there's nothing about their performance that really stands out, IMO. The JAN 6922 Phillips or the JJ's sound better in the ELP in my rig, and both seem to have better bass than the EI's.

You can get them here: http://www.boiaudioworks.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=ea5322f63fe7167a2dcd55f2ebde97b4

I've bought tubes from them before and the service has been good. They've also got the same tube without the gold plated pins, which as RuSsMaN mentioned, might be as good or better.

Jason
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited June 2006
    Options
    thanks for the info:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • beardog03
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I just went and hooked the `ol Dodd back up and decided to put the Ei`s in, and though I didn`t realize it, the are gold pins....go figure !
    (6DJ8EG)
    matched;
    gm triode 1....90....on both tubes
    gm triode 2....85....on both tubes

I really like these tubes, but they do need a few more hours on them
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s

• W WALDECKER
    edited June 2006
    Options
    jcaut wrote:
    I've tried the EI Elite golds in my Dodd ELP- They sound okay there, but they're not my favorites. They're real mellow sounding to me- which works well on some music- but there's nothing about their performance that really stands out, IMO. The JAN 6922 Phillips or the JJ's sound better in the ELP in my rig, and both seem to have better bass than the EI's.

You can get them here: http://www.boiaudioworks.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=ea5322f63fe7167a2dcd55f2ebde97b4

I've bought tubes from them before and the service has been good. They've also got the same tube without the gold plated pins, which as RuSsMaN mentioned, might be as good or better.

Jason
    i would have to point out that the Vk 3i is not at all like my Anthem Pre 1L .i liked the Jan philips 6922s alot in the Anthem. my absolute favorite tube in the Pre 1L was the Amperex 7308 Goldpins. the 7308s were somewhat unimpressive once i rolled them into the VK 3i and they were beaten out by the much more inexpensive Sovtec which BAT recommends for this preamp. i like the Ei Elite 6DJ8EGs even more than the Sovtecs in this particular circuit. there is no such thing as a perfect all around tube, it depends on which preamplifier you are using and it is also system dependant . i took a chance and rolled in a Quad of Ei Elites.they are not laid back at all in the VK 3i and sound very good from top to bottom and in a sudden death match with my Anthem running Amperex 7308s the BAT VK 3i would walk all over the Anthem Pre 1L in my current 2 channel rig. thanks....WCW III
  • W WALDECKER
    edited June 2006
    Options
    William, where did you purchase them, I can't find any online stores that have them in stock
    Hey George, i got them fromwww.tubesdirect.com for $8.95 each plus shipping.