Thru My Silverado Firewall

bossier62guy
bossier62guy Posts: 3
edited May 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anyone out there ran a 4ga power wire thru a 1999 on up Chevy Silverado? If so how about some suggestions on the best place to run it. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by bossier62guy on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2006
    Im running 4 guage thru my 02 Ram firewall. I run it thru the existing grommet that the steering column goes thru. Do you have something similar?

Cody (exalted512) will be able to help ya more. He's our resident Chevy guru.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited May 2006
    MacLeod wrote:
    Im running 4 guage thru my 02 Ram firewall. I run it thru the existing grommet that the steering column goes thru. Do you have something similar?

Cody (exalted512) will be able to help ya more. He's our resident Chevy guru.

i ran through the same grommet that exists in my '01 silverado. that bich is hard to pierce through, though. actually, the grommet is to the left of the column and many wires already run through there. be sure not to cut any of those wires while piercing through. it was tough. i actually needed to use my heavy guage fish tape to pull the wire through, but it made for a pretty water-tight seal. follow up with some silicone if you wish. and yes, it's 4 ga wire.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2006
    BIZILL wrote:
    i ran through the same grommet that exists in my '01 silverado. that bich is hard to pierce through, though. actually, the grommet is to the left of the column and many wires already run through there. be sure not to cut any of those wires while piercing through. it was tough. i actually needed to use my heavy guage fish tape to pull the wire through, but it made for a pretty water-tight seal. follow up with some silicone if you wish. and yes, it's 4 ga wire.
    thats where i usually go through
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited May 2006
    If you look under the dash on the firewall their is a round peice with a little handle on it. You have to rip it ou, and behind that is a little dimple in the firewall. tou can drill through and use a gromet. When I worked in an accessories shop that is were we would run all of our wires, no worry of drilling into any thing, or cutting of a wire while trying to run a wire through a gromet.
  • bossier62guy
    bossier62guy Posts: 3
    edited May 2006
    Yes I know the round piece you are talking about and that is exactly where I was thinking about running it.....thanks to everyone for the input.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited May 2006
    i just didn't have any grommets on hand and really wanted to just run all my wires that night while i had the silverado apart. this way i didn't need to go buy any. and it's fail-proof. it won't ever short out.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.