SL2000 oil can resonance notch filter in SDA-1C's

honestaquarian
honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
Does anyone out there have any information about the notch filter built into the crossover of the SDA-1C's?It is supposed to counter the 13 kilohertz oil can resonance of the SL-2000 tweeter:( .Does it have any negative affect on the RD-0194 tweeter?Does this newer tweeter have the same resonance since it was made using the the SL-2000 silver coil magnet assembly?Can this notch filter be disabled in the crossover?
Thanks!
Post edited by honestaquarian on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2006
    Don't worry about it. The 13khz is a small peak in the crossover. Not to say the old sl2000 driver wasn't a little rough but the 13khz thing is a function of the crossover. I've read a lot of theories on this 13khz peak but if you graph the output of the crossover you will see it. The new tweeter sounds absolutely perfect, much better than the original.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2006
    madmax wrote:
    Don't worry about it. The 13khz is a small peak in the crossover. Not to say the old sl2000 driver wasn't a little rough but the 13khz thing is a function of the crossover. I've read a lot of theories on this 13khz peak but if you graph the output of the crossover you will see it. The new tweeter sounds absolutely perfect, much better than the original.
    madmax
    Max
    Didn't the crossover have a notch filter (as in taking a notch out of the signal at about 13 khz)to compensate for the resonance in the tweeter at that frequency)?It sounds to me like what you are saying is that there is a response peak introduced BY THE CROSSOVER?

Ok so like i am TOTALLY having a bad stereotypical blonde moment heyeeerrrrr!!!!!!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,707
    edited May 2006
    No, there is no notch filter in the SDA1C crossover.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2006
    No, it actually goes up to a peak. I'm thinking that is where the 13khz peak story about the tweeter comes into play.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2006
    WilliamM2 wrote:
    No, there is no notch filter in the SDA1C crossover.
    Thanks William!
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2006
    madmax wrote:
    No, it actually goes up to a peak. I'm thinking that is where the 13khz peak story about the tweeter comes into play.
    madmax
    Thanks again Max!!!!
  • Anyone looking for a pair of SDA-1C's?
    I FINALLY upgraded to the SDA-SRS 3.1TL's after 20 years with the 1C's and no longer need them.I also have a CS-400 center that is a perfect match for the 1C's.
    The side panels need to be re glued.Other than that there is nothing wrong with them.As detailed above I upgraded the tweeters to the RD-0194's long ago. Just never got around to re gluing the side panels.I bought the liquid nails and never used it.I still have it though.
    PM me if interested.I can take pics and send them.
    Available in Washington,D.C.-The nations Crapitol
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Anyone looking for a pair of SDA-1C's?
    I FINALLY upgraded to the SDA-SRS 3.1TL's after 20 years with the 1C's and no longer need them.I also have a CS-400 center that is a perfect match for the 1C's.
    The side panels need to be re glued.Other than that there is nothing wrong with them.As detailed above I upgraded the tweeters to the RD-0194's long ago. Just never got around to re gluing the side panels.I bought the liquid nails and never used it.I still have it though.
    PM me if interested.I can take pics and send them.
    Available in Washington,D.C.-The nations Crapitol

Post a FS thread with a price, thems the rules.