I got my fix!!!!

Options
ND13
ND13 Posts: 7,601
edited June 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
I drove over to Chicago yesterday to deliver my SDA 2As to DAGAME27. While I was in town, I dropped in on Rich(SCompRacer) to get my ears on his badass rig and ended up bringing these home with me.:D

I'm gonna try bi-amping them later.
"SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
Post edited by ND13 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Nice, I am looking for apiar of those also. Love the Oak
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Good score!

The AL-III's are highly underrated.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited May 2006
    Options
    They look good in there! The 1040w Infinity Reference Woofers with upgraded wiring really helped the bass out compared to the OEM drivers.

It sure made the wife happy to see only one pair of speakers in the room. :D The bass from the Silver's and the lower sound stage are easier on the wifes hearing aides. She actually enjoys listening to them.

If the AL-III's stayed much longer, she was talking about hanging plants off them.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Those are really sleek looking. Let us know how you like them in your place.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Congrats Noel, you'll love 'em i'm sure. I don't think mine are going anywhere soon. Try those rubber isolator squares under the bases seems to tighten the low end up over the stock rubber strips.(That is if you're on a wood or solid floor)
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 168
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I like the oak!
    SuperDave
    Yamaha RX-V992 (Center,Rears)
    Adcom GFA-5500 (Mains)
    Denon DVD-1920
    Mitsubishi 40" LCD
    DirecTV DVR Whole House
    Polk LSi25 Mains
    Polk LSiC Center
    Infinity RS1 Rears
    Monster THX Cables
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited May 2006
    Options
    very nice !
    Congrats on the new speaks !
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Very nice Noel. Sorry I missed meeting you yesterday. Under the weather just a tad.

My babies have sure made the rounds LOL. They look good and sound good whereever they go! I'm afraid I may have started a mini-Carver revolution in the midwest :D
  • W WALDECKER
    W WALDECKER Posts: 900
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Cool!
    Rogue Audio stereo 100 tube amplifier - Lector Zoe preamplifier with 6H30 pi's
    .Audience AU24SE speaker and ic cables- Chord Qutest DAC - Black Cat Silverstar II 75ohm digital cable-Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature system with large bass cabinets to accommodate 10" Seas magnesium woofers.2xhmpsuownoj.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I'm afraid I may have started a mini-Carver revolution in the midwest :D

Bastage.:D

Put me down for them MKII's once you move on to the Kaya's.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Normanality
    edited May 2006
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote:
    Bastage.:D

Put me down for them MKII's once you move on to the Kaya's.

ROFL, I'm gonna grab a pair of 1C's first. They would do well on my south wall.

That means I'll be unloading the black AL III+'s with the upgraded woofers :D
  • dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 561
    edited May 2006
    Options
    They look great Noel. I had a hunch you weren't going back empty handed :D
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • ND13
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I gotsta get a friggin rack in the very near future.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Hey, congrat. Stealing the thread a little bit, if anyone comes across the Infinity 1040w woofers, please drop me a notes - my AL-III and AL-III+ need some upgrade to help bottom. Norm, since you used to own both, did you find the + had stronger bass?

-fredv-
  • Normanality
    edited May 2006
    Options
    fredv wrote:
    Hey, congrat. Stealing the thread a little bit, if anyone comes across the Infinity 1040w woofers, please drop me a notes - my AL-III and AL-III+ need some upgrade to help bottom. Norm, since you used to own both, did you find the + had stronger bass?

I don't think either had the best bass with the OEM woofers.
    I do think the AL III+ is a little more efficient so it's easier to drive.
    The crossover on the original AL III is far more complex, with the pots for adjusting the levels. These seem to require more juice to drive than the more passive crossover on the AL III+.

The Infinity 1040W has been replaced by the 1050W. You may still be able to find the 1040W though it is tougher to find it sold in pairs.

The 1050W binding posts no longer accept standard banana connectors like the older models. I have a spare set of Perfect 10.1's that I tried in the AL III+'s. They reached much deeper but gave up a bit of the high bass near the crossover point, but still was much better than the OEM.
  • fredv
    fredv Posts: 923
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I have a spare set of Perfect 10.1's that I tried in the AL III+'s. They reached much deeper but gave up a bit of the high bass near the crossover point, but still was much better than the OEM.
    Hi Norm,

If you ever consider selling the 10.1, please keep me in mind :-) BTW, I also have a pair of black AL-III+ and Oak AL-III!!!

Rich, so the SIlver's won the wifey battle? I'm hiding my Silver's my parent's house, my woman of the house doesn't know what are on deck yet:D I am waiting for the perfect moment to bring them home ;)

Thanks,

-fredv-
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2006
    Options
    fredv wrote:
    Rich, so the SIlver's won the wifey battle? I'm hiding my Silver's my parent's house, my woman of the house doesn't know what are on deck yet:D I am waiting for the perfect moment to bring them home ;)

LOL Yeah, she likes them better for sound and appearance. I wonder how your wife might react.:D

I had mentioned to her that I was thinking of getting some different speakers and described them. She had to work that Saturday while Norm and I were demoing my new IC's when the seller responds to my email with a phone call. Next thing you know we are on the road and three hours later I have like NIB Silvers.

She recently got new digital hearing aides and they are much better than the old ones. Technology at work once again. The AL-III's higher sound stage and ported bass module bothered her. Hey, now there is a selling point for you.;) With the Silver's, she asks me or pops in CD's herself to listen to.
  • Normanality
    edited May 2006
    Options
    fredv wrote:
    Hi Norm,

If you ever consider selling the 10.1, please keep me in mind :-) BTW, I also have a pair of black AL-III+ and Oak AL-III!!!

Thanks,

LOL good on you! I had a pair of each then got a great deal on a set of these...
    http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1153526180

Even the ribbons can't do what these panels produce. Unbelieveably clear. :)
    Now I'm planning on unloading the black III+'s to make room for a pair of SDA 1C's which I always wanted. I can still get my ribbon fix over at Rich's.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Real nice Noel! Congrats on the AL-III's! Happy listening.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I can still get my ribbon fix over at Rich's.

I say we swap speakers for a while.:eek: :cool::D
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Whole different ball game, bro. Placement on those is key. And POWER. Lots of POWER.

Your gonna like them. Try bringing them out a little, away from the side walls, little bit of toe in, and the equilateral triangle to the chair.

Lemme know what you think.
  • ND13
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I've been playing around with placement and have found that, in my room, the best results have been when placed about 7 feet apart, with toe-in between 25-30 degrees, and about 3 feet from back wall, with the ribbons uncovered(or in other words...dipole active). I have no issues with side walls. They are over 5 feet away on the left and over 20 feet away from the right wall.

Next experiment, probably just for **** and grins, will be with bi-amping.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Congrats Noel. Those are big and beautiful.
  • ND13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    When i auditioned them at Rich's, they were quite a bit brighter than in my rig. I'm sure that's due to his silver ICs, speaker cables and reflective room. I'm going to start swapping out ICs in mine to see if anything changes. I was very surprised with the bass response. They dug quite deep for a 10. Those Infinity woofers do a great job.

I'll also be trying out bi-amping them before the end of the weekend. The extra power should, at the very least, help with the dynamics.

I am happy with them, but as of right now, the SRS 2s are still my faves as an all-around speaker. That could change when I start upgrading ICs and get a big tube amp. Rich's McAlister had plenty of balls for them. That McAlister tube pre, while not as attractive as the BAT, was extremely smooth. Actually, I liked it better than the BAT, but i only had a short time with it. I'd place money on Rich keeping it over the BAT, if it had a remote.:D
  • Normanality
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The answer to your dynamics question Noel is yes ;)

I ran the Carvers biamped with (2) of the McAlister's and the sound was phenomenol! The base was even better and the ribbons sang.

Now, if this is a multiple choice question, then my choice is the BAT.

It has a remote :D
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Noel, the MIT Shotguns are copper. If we had more time I would have put the Audiotruth Lapis in, then you would have heard what I call bright. (Norm and I have talked in depth about one persons brightness is another persons detail). The soundstage width and depth would have diminished as well with the Lapis.

My listening tastes welcome detail now, but not as much as Norm. But he has a musical background so that’s why I figure he is so screwed up.:D My room is reflective and the thick felt on the back of the AL-III ribbons helped in my application. I do see a dedicated listening room in the basement someday.

I’ve been through a lot of IC’s and always enjoyed the detail silver cables gave me, but always tried to tame the brightness with warmer tubes. With the Shotgun IC’s, I get detail without the harsh brightness. (Another thanks to Jesse). The MIT’s have me rolling tubes back in that I didn't care for before to find that optimum sound.

I put the Sovtek's back in the BAT after you left. They improve the low end over the Siemens 7308's. The pre issue isn't settled yet, I need more listening time.

The two tubers horizontally biamped on Norm's AL-III + were phenomenal. Makes me want to biwire the Silvers.