xbox 360 and PS2 sales figures for April

Options
cheddar
cheddar Posts: 2,390
edited May 2006 in Video Games
Hello,

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or be "biased" in anyway. But someone was interested in my console "greatest hits" sales numbers, so I thought I'd post these too since I came across them.

Make of them what you will.

April

Worldwide:

PS2 - 205,000
360 - 295,000

Japan:

PS2 - 112,000
360 - 10,701

:)
Post edited by cheddar on

Comments

• tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited May 2006
    Options
    cheddar wrote:
    Hello,

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or be "biased" in anyway. But someone was interested in my console "greatest hits" sales numbers, so I thought I'd post these too since I came across them.

Make of them what you will.

April

Worldwide:

PS2 - 205,000
    360 - 295,000

Japan:

PS2 - 112,000
    360 - 10,701

:)

hahahaha, 10,000 if it wasn't for north america, Microsoft would be screwed. Im surprised though that the ps2 is sell just as good as the 360. when I worked at circuit city though, a lot of people bought a ps2 cause their old one broke.

tommyboy
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited May 2006
    Options
    How would Microsoft ever be screwed? They're only one of, if not the, wealthiest companies in the world. Sony is the company on the verge of bankruptcy. Microsoft could afford to give all of the the 360s away that they've sold thus far.

In any event, where did you get your numbers?
  • tommyboy
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    How would Microsoft ever be screwed? They're only one of, if not the, wealthiest companies in the world. Sony is the company on the verge of bankruptcy. Microsoft could afford to give all of the the 360s away that they've sold thus far.

I just meant in the videogame industry. If they want to make a profit in videogames, they need to start selling more systems in japan. They aren't in the videogame business to "give" away their systems.
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:

Demiurge,

You are ever the faithful Microsoft defender. But I agree with Tommyboy, I don't think even Microsoft expected such low numbers in Japan. I think they even sought out Japanese advice on the new 360 look so they could finally break out of their Japanese funk.

The total sales numbers are from NPD, a video game marketing research group. However the more interesting Japan numbers, I found here:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=17068

It's an interesting article and makes clear that although the PS2 is still holding on to a slice of the Japanese market, it is an end of cycle slice. And the PS2 numbers should not even be thought of as healthy sales numbers for a console that's a half a year out of the gate. For instance, Nintendo's DS handhelds have 72% of last month's Japanese hardware sales with close to 1 million units sold.

So ten thousand units is a dismal showing. It's not so much that the Wii and PS3 have won the Japanese market, but the 360 has certainly lost it ;).

And just for laughs, the total number of xboxes sold in Japan in April was just 121. Who would have thought that in just five years, a new car would cost more than all the xboxes sold in Japan in one month :D.
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The problem with the japanesse market is it is still a secluded type of society. They like their homebrewed companies and I'm sure even have a slight superiority complex over most american companies. Seeing as how their car industry has been doing, perhaps there is some just cause in this.

There is also the culture shock. Japanesse like japanesse games, and the number of exlcusive japanesse games for the 360 in the near future I can count on one hand. They have very, very little incentive to purchase a 360.

As for the north american figures, I noticed that yoiu didn't include original xbox figures as well. The old competitors will still have significant sales due to the fact that they have a huge array of games and are on 4th and 5th generation graphics, so they can still compete with the new console of limited choices.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Refefer wrote:
    As for the north american figures, I noticed that yoiu didn't include original xbox figures as well. The old competitors will still have significant sales due to the fact that they have a huge array of games and are on 4th and 5th generation graphics, so they can still compete with the new console of limited choices.

I didn't include the NA figures for xbox, because I didn't come across any, and the main point was that the Japanese numbers were just too funny. I mean when I could walk into a store in Japan, buy 4 xboxes, and all by myself DOUBLE the NATIONAL sales numbers for that day (on average), the xbox is doing crazy bad.

Given the fact that worldwide totals run 103.6/24 million in favor of the ps2, I guess we could estimate worldwide sales of the xbox in April at 205,000/?=47490. Let's see, subtract Japan...47,490 minus ONE HUNDRED TWENTY ONE, ah, 47,369. It's still less than the difference between the ps2 and the 360. And that estimate is for worldwide sales minus Japan :rolleyes:. So figure what, 20,000-30,000 tops for North America?

Also, to add insult to injury, in the used market for Japan, the 360 is worth LESS than a nintendo DS...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/japan-tradein-food-chain-ds-lite-hot-xbox-360-not.php

DS Lite - $153
    360 - $128

Time for all you guys waiting for the price to drop, find somebody traveling to Japan and ask them to pick one up for ya...:D
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Oh contraire, cheddar, I believe I am one of the few who doesn't bash Microsoft for their success. I don't have a dog in this fight as I have the money to buy whatever system is release by whatever company. Microsoft is the one that I believe has it right. You've been the Sony fan boy of the board from what I can tell and it's based on a system that isn't even released yet. This new post of yours only prooves it. I'll wait until you post some numbers that can actually be backed up.

If you research this board you'll notice I didn't buy my 360 until around April. At that time I couldn't find one in the stores, and it wasn't due to a shortage, but rather because of the demand.

If I was an XBox fan boy I would have bought it at release. I wait for results and the 360 delivers. Sorry.
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    Oh contraire, cheddar, I believe I am one of the few who doesn't bash Microsoft for their success. I don't have a dog in this fight as I have the money to buy whatever system is release by whatever company. Microsoft is the one that I believe has it right. You've been the Sony fan boy of the board from what I can tell and it's based on a system that isn't even released yet. This new post of yours only prooves it. I'll wait until you post some numbers that can actually be backed up.

If you research this board you'll notice I didn't buy my 360 until around April. At that time I couldn't find one in the stores, and it wasn't due to a shortage, but rather because of the demand.

If I was an XBox fan boy I would have bought it at release. I wait for results and the 360 delivers. Sorry.

Demiurge,

All I've done of late is post hard numbers to poke a little fun at the xbox. If you weren't so biased yourself, maybe you would have noticed. At least I post numbers and give out my sources. You might try that once in awhile instead of just giving your opinions.

Remember, I love my xbox and halo2. And I don't own a playstation and never have.

Lighten up some...;)
  • tommyboy
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Demiurge wrote:
    I don't have a dog in this fight as I have the money to buy whatever system is release by whatever company. Microsoft is the one that I believe has it right.

it doesn't matter how much your paying, it matters what you got out of what you paid.

PS3- pretty much a home computer in one.HD, blu-ray, duel hdmi, etc. etc. $600

xbox 360- my opinion much better first party games, also hd, with optional hd-dvd. $400

Wii- new style of controller, the best first party games (again my opinion), weaker graphics, play all older nintendo games $200-$250.

You guys should prolly forget about the numbers if you are going to fight about it. demiurge, if you like your 360 don't worry what others say about it, all cheddar was bringing up was that 360 was struggling in japan. I personally didn't buy the 360 because of the price. Its not because I don't have the money, I just don't think its worth 400 dollars. as soon as it drops to 200-300. I might think about it. Now the wii(if priced at $200) is to me worth a purchase because I like the controller, the games look like fun to play, and the graphics are still pretty damn good. There are no fan boys on this forum, this place is too mature for that.

tommyboy
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Yep,
    As soon as halo3 comes out, I'll pick up a 360. I'm hoping the price will drop by then too.
  • bankshot
    bankshot Posts: 76
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Cheddar, I find it hard to believe you're not a sony fanboy from your previous posts.
    Outlaw M200s
    Outlaw ICBM
    Yamaha reciver
    Panasonic: AE900U
    POLK LSi 15s
    POLK LSi 9s
    POLK LSi C
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Edit: see below
  • kingkip
    kingkip Posts: 401
    edited May 2006
    Options
    tommyboy wrote:
    There are no fan boys on this forum, this place is too mature for that.

tommyboy

You are kidding about that last part right? Ain't no place on the WEB too mature for that.

I hope that both do well again, that way the competition stays fierce and the games stay great.
    There are two ways to argue with women. Both of them are wrong.
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Look,

I just find the market numbers for the console sales interesting. I wasn't a rah rah fanboy for PS and had no clue what was going on with it sales wise until I started responding to these threads. I was actually surprised at the numbers they put up when I started to research the topic.

To me, both boxes are just hunks of silicon that I can play games on and maybe watch some HD with. So I didn't think putting up the numbers and having a little light hearted fun with it would get such a big reaction.

If I offended anyone, including Demiurge, I apologize. But please don't get mad at me 'cause the sales numbers are coming out this way. If you don't believe me, do a 1 sec google and see for yourself.

My main interest in this forum is not video games anyways, but my polk speakers and HT. But I really did just find this discussion interesting and the market numbers surprising.

Peace, ok :)?
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Oh,

And I really was serious about the used 360s being worth it to lug back from Japan. Anyone know how difficult it would be to order/change out the power supply and what the difference would be in video connections?
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2006
    Options
    cheddar wrote:
    Look,

I just find the market numbers for the console sales interesting. I wasn't a rah rah fanboy for PS and had no clue what was going on with it sales wise until I started responding to these threads.

Okay i am not going to flame you....but why do these number's surprise you? I am not surprised. Hell you should have thrown in the GC numbers I am sure the GC is out selling the 360 too! Sony and Nintendo are catering to their client's as Xbox is catering to theirs. Us americans want the FPS. Japanese want qwirky games (like the restaraunt one where you serve people food as fast as you can) and they like strange samari games. These games in the US cater to a small percentage, and don't sell well. Did you buy Onimusha, Jade Empire, or Sudeki for the Xbox? Buy it...and see if this fits your taste? I have them, and they personally stink.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Demiurge
    edited May 2006
    Options
    cheddar wrote:
    Demiurge,

All I've done of late is post hard numbers to poke a little fun at the xbox. If you weren't so biased yourself, maybe you would have noticed. At least I post numbers and give out my sources. You might try that once in awhile instead of just giving your opinions.

Remember, I love my xbox and halo2. And I don't own a playstation and never have.

Lighten up some...;)

It's hard to lighten up when some of you continue to beat a dead horse. We've got 4 or 5 threads now on the same stupid subject.

I own a PS1, PS2, XBox, and XBox 360. The way I see it I am pretty much split down the middle, no? So please don't sit there and accuse me of bias. I'll take a look at the PS3 when it's released -- just like I did with the XBox 360. From a business standpoint, what Sony is doing with this new unit hasn't made a whole lot of sense to me. You won't be able to disprove that until a good 6 months to a year after launch. I won't be able to say your wrong either, but I haven't seen any logical arguments from your direction.

The PS3 should be better than the XBox 360. The price, however, is a huge factor when the difference between the two is as small as it is. It's something that should sell more XBox 360s in the long run, especially over the Christmas season. You simply cannot deny those two things from a business standpoint with a straight face. That's all I have ever argued about the PS3. Nothing more.
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Okay i am not going to flame you....but why do these number's surprise you? I am not surprised. Hell you should have thrown in the GC numbers I am sure the GC is out selling the 360 too! Sony and Nintendo are catering to their client's as Xbox is catering to theirs. Us americans want the FPS. Japanese want qwirky games (like the restaraunt one where you serve people food as fast as you can) and they like strange samari games. These games in the US cater to a small percentage, and don't sell well. Did you buy Onimusha, Jade Empire, or Sudeki for the Xbox? Buy it...and see if this fits your taste? I have them, and they personally stink.

I'm not surprised Microsoft has problems breaking into the Japanese market, just by the magnitude of the shutout. When I play xbox live late, there are always some guys on there with Japanese sounding names who never talk. So I just assumed the xbox was making some dent in the Japanese market. But the 360 can't even break a 1% share when there is no next gen competition. And just 121 units for the xbox last month? I read somewhere that Microsoft marketing really made an effort this time to design the 360 with doing better with Japanese in mind. I guess some problems, even globs of marketing money can't solve. I don't think anyone would have predicted that a DS lite would be worth more on the Japanese used market than a 360? Isn't that even a little bit surprising?

Anyhoo, Refefer and your explanations make sense to me. It will be interesting for me to see how the wii does. The DS is crushing everybody in Japan at present. The wii could be a David and Goliath story, who knows? The Japan story is over for the 360, but with a 100+ million unit market out there, all three consoles have a lot of market left to swing. I just know that this year and next are shaping up to be a great time for console games no matter what.

Don't think I'll even remember this thread come Christmas time. I know I'm gonna have a new favorite toy of some brand. I was just hoping it would be Halo3 :(. But some new HD movies with high resolution surround sound works too. Even with a so-so player, it should hold me over until the really nice volume HD units come out in a year or two.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Wow! I can't believe they still sell that many PS2's a month. What year did the PS2 come out?
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    A previous thread had the release in 2000. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I didn't think it was that long ago...yep must be getting old...
  • Refefer
    Refefer Posts: 1,280
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I've got a feeling wii is going to do incredibly well. After all, the most well known figure in the world is the face of mario. They look to have a great system with more importantly, a great controller, that should be able to reap the sales. After viewing the whole DDR revolution, I think the one thing that we can all agree on is that consumers are always looking for is "something more". A little bit better graphics, a little bit deeper gameplay, and more importantly, a new level of interaction. Racing games are great with a controller but can't even compare to a steering wheel and a set of pedals... and Wii's controller looks to bring that much greater interaction into gaming, the same way as DDR dance pads went like hotcakes... but with the greater appeal of many different games.

Then there's the suggested prices.

Get a Wii, an extra controller or 2, a couple of games for the price of a 360? 5 games for the price of the ps3? The money battle always wins, on top of which nintendo is taking less of a hit monetarily per console than the others.

It should be interesting.
    Lovin that music year after year.

Main 2 Channel System

Polk SDA-1B,
    Promitheus Audio TVC SE,
    Rotel RB-980BX,
    OPPO DV-970HD,
    Lite Audio DAC AH,
    IXOS XHA305 Interconnects

Computer Rig

Polk SDA CRS+,
    Creek Audio 5350 SE,
    Morrow Audio MA1 Interconnect,
    HRT Music Streamer II
  • cheddar
    edited May 2006
    Options
    If the wii comes out as cheap as you guys think, I'm going to add another box under the tree. I'm starting to remember playing super mario on the N64. What was cool was that my girlfriend at the time was into it too. Less strain on the relationship than Halo :rolleyes:.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,089
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The Wii would have to be under 100 dollars for me to even look at it.

Sorry Nintendo.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.