Carver Hologram with SDA speakers

Options
riglehart
riglehart Posts: 276
edited June 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I'm looking at used preamps. The "hologram" feature of the old Carvers claims to minimize the audio crosstalk the listener perceives.

See...

http://www.audio-ideas.com/interview/carver.html

Anyone know how they sound with SDAs.
Jolida Tube
Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
Standard equip not worth bragging about.
Post edited by riglehart on

Comments

• SDA SRS 1.2
    SDA SRS 1.2 Posts: 255
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I have the sonic hologram on my C-16 preamp. I never really thought it did much although Carver claimed it was compatible with the SDA. It seemed as a bit of overkill with SDA.
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Carver Hologram with SDA speakers

That's a bad combo.......you know, too much of a good thing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited May 2006
    Options
    What he said^^^
  • riglehart
    riglehart Posts: 276
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Glad I asked. I've heard enough. Thanks.
    Jolida Tube
    Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
    Standard equip not worth bragging about.
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Don't discount the Carvers with a regular pair of Polks, I've got a C-9 and a C-11 and IMO it can enhance the experience with M10 and M7's. Turn it off with my SRS 2.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It definetly "works" but I prefer a speaker to stand on it's own merits.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • SRS_fan
    SRS_fan Posts: 11
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Nice piece of equipment but overkill.... with some music- it creates a interesting 'wow' factor but for the most part you will find it confuses the presentation and becomes mentally irritating. IMHO

Partial Equipment List :
    Polk SDA-SRS
    KRELL HRC-2
    2 PERREAUX AMPS - 3150 Tops & 2150 Bottoms
    AudioPro B2-100 Subwoofer
    DBX 4BX
    Etc. Etc.

On Wednesday the Polks will be replaced by the Martin Logan SUMMITS. It took a lot to put these old friends to the side.

Respect....
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited May 2006
    Options
    riglehart wrote:
    Anyone know how they sound with SDAs.

To the best of my memory, I never knew them to be recommended by anyone or any company for use with SDAs.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I tried it after seeing this thread, just for kicks, and I DON'T recommend it. Granted, I didn't fiddle with speaker placement per the very detailed recommendations in the Carver manual. Perhaps if one disconnected the SDA cable... Anyway, I don't see how the two "effects" could be complimentary. I can't really describe what happened beyond saying that it was a big echoey--phasey, if you know what I mean-- mess.

Of course, Sonic Holography can sound that way through "normal" speakers, if it's not set up properly, but not to the extent that I'm talking about.

Jason
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I currently have both.Although in two different rooms.I have tried using both in the past on the same system.NOT RECOMMENDED!Both the stereo dimensional array and the sonic hologram generator do the same thing.Which is interaural crosstalk distortion cancellation.Trust me taken together it is WAAYYYYY too much of a good thing.HATED IT!
    76911 Posts: 13
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I agree...I've used a Carver set up with my CRSs since the 80s and I only use the hologram function when I'm bored and for a short period of time...it is hard to improve on perfection.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited June 2006
    Options
    76911 wrote:
    I agree...I've used a Carver set up with my CRSs since the 80s and I only use the hologram function when I'm bored and for a short period of time...it is hard to improve on perfection.

You and F1Nut should get along like kindred spirits.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • djf
    djf Posts: 120
    edited June 2006
    Options
    I have a Hologram generator that I used to use back in the early 80's before I got the SRS's. Never bothered to hook it up since. I would recommend against it.

Currently: A true classic, Back in N. Y. C., The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Kinda sad. I hated NYC, but I sorta miss it...
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The Newer Polk SDA's only run the crosstalk cancellation from 200HZ to 1000HZ.The carver's crosstalk cancellation runs full range like the older SDA's did.As a result i think the newer SDA's sound warmer and more natural than the hologram anyway.Like the older SDA's the hologram CAN at times sound a tad electronic and unnatural.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2006
    Options
    The globation of this fuzzification has digressed to the laughable.

Yea, that tweeter fix had nothing to do with anything.

RT1