SUB Hookup performance

Ceenit
Ceenit Posts: 12
I just purchased a Sony 685 Surround Receiver to hook up with Polk 6600 satellites and a 350 sub. If I am using the sub out connector from the receiver, am I better off hooking directly into the LFE input on the sub, or purchasing a Y splitter to hook into the sub's left and right inputs.

The manual say to go into the LFE (unfiltered) outlet since the recevers are usually filtered (and doubel filtering can cut sound). The sales person at Circuit City said I would get better sound if I bought the splitter (with would mean going into the filtered inputs on the sub). This was a Circuit City salesperson, so I'm a little hesitant to take his word over the manual.

Anyone have insight as to with would give better quality sound....or does it make any noticable difference at all.:confused:
Post edited by Ceenit on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited June 2002
    theoretically, hooking into the LFE input is going to sound better (avoiding double filtering). you could always buy a 'y' and try both methods for yourself. see if YOU hear any differences, listen to what YOU prefer. subwoofer set-up can be very difficult and time consuming, from wiring to placement to settings. try as many methods as you can for yourself, then you know for yourself and not someone else's opinion. have fun and good luck. post back if you have any other questions with set up as you get into it.

welcome to the forum... :D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    I have always gone with the Y method. I found a HUGE improvment over single. There must be a reason for a left and a right input. All the original Monster sub. cables came with a Y adapter. I never fully understood the "panic" over double filtering. Sounds like bottled water. There is still much control through the reciever (bass management) and the sub. settings. Never had a problem getting the performance I needed.:D
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited June 2002
    HI:

A lot of subs have a dual voice coil, that is why a Y comes with the sub hookup cable. Use it.

Gary
  • Ceenit
    Ceenit Posts: 12
    edited June 2002
    Thanks for all the feedback. I tested both methods last night and found that the splitter (hooking into left and right channel) versus the LFE gave me a richer sound. It may be all in my head, but I guess that's where it counts.

I'm new to the forums, great info and a great way to get good information. Looking forward to participating more (and my next upgrade)!!!
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited June 2002
    glad to hear you tried both methods, and know which method YOU prefer! that's what it's all about, actually trying it youself, so YOU know, and knowings half the battle (thanks ripcord) :D

hope to see you around here often...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2002
    Hello,
    Thanks for posting on the Forum. Remember an important consideration, with the RM6600, is that it is important that the sub-woofer reproduce sound up to 150 Hz. Make sure that the Sony gives you the ability to set the low pass filter point, of the sub-out, to at least 150 Hz. If it does, then the LFE input on the sub-woofer would be best (no additional filtering). If it doesn't allow the low pass filter point to go to 150 Hz, then use the front speaker, right and left, output into the speaker level input of the sub-woofer, remove the line level connection and set the low pass filter frequency, on the sub-woofer, to 150 Hz. This is following the instructions given in the RM6600 owner's manual.
    Regards, Ken Swauger