Amp mounting question

basmoq
basmoq Posts: 10
edited May 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm trying to figure out where to mount my 4-ch amp in my trunk and the roof seems to be the most out of the way place for it. I could stick it vertically along one of the side walls, but I regularly pack my trunk with stuff and am afraid it'd overheat with a bag next to it. I realize that trunks get really hot in the summer, but I don't think they are tall enough for there to be a sig. diff in heat from trunk floor to ceiling. If I were to hang the amp upright from the ceiling of the trunk with an inch or so clearance would it be ok? Would it help if I installed some computer case fans next to it to cool the fins? Any help would be appreciated!
Post edited by basmoq on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2006
    are you going to be mounting it with the heat sink facing down, if so, ive heard thats not the best of ideas because all the heat will go right back into the amp, but i have no personal experience to know if its true or not. Fans are always a great idea as well.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • basmoq
    edited May 2006
    Exalted512- No, I was going to hang it on a custom mount made of 1/8 X 1" steel bar stock, one strip on each side running under the amp and going up to the ceiling where they would be screwed in(if that makes any sense) basically, I'd have the mounts on the ceiling, and slide the amp in from the side. The amp would be upright with 1' of clearance, and then stick a 12v computer fan up there to blow on it.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2006
    that would do just fine, assuming you secure the amp so it doesn't slide right back out :p
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • basmoq
    edited May 2006
    but it would be fun to re-wire the entire car :( It only took me an entire day to get everything run (alarm, stereo, inverter)