Now I know why most cabinets are square..

Options
Moreants
Moreants Posts: 70
edited August 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Lotsa work...
I remember when 'broadband' meant The Go-Go's.
Post edited by Moreants on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Looks nice, but what are you gonna do with it? Are you building a 3-way design? Which drivers are you using? What is the purpose of the open baffle? What is the size of the cabinet and what specs do you expect?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Moreants
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Looks nice, but what are you gonna do with it? Are you building a 3-way design? Which drivers are you using? What is the purpose of the open baffle? What is the size of the cabinet and what specs do you expect?

Yes a 3-way design using Seas alum/mag tweeter/ 5.5" mid and poly 8' woofer. The cabinet is not finished so the top is open yet. Woofer box seperate from tweeter/mid.

Speaker will be bi-ampable with woofer x-over on bottom and tweet/mid x-over on top in enclosed compartment. I am putting in an access door in rear top.

The cabinet is 38" x 11" x 16.5 deep. X-over being designed by Madisound (LEAP) as we speak.
  • Early B.
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Where did you get those cool looking "feet?"

Is the cabinet your own design or are you using an existing design?

Let us know how the Madisound LEAP thing works. That's a nice service at a reasonable price.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Looks great, very nice DIY project.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Moreants
    edited May 2006
    Options
    The design is from Kharma. It will end up looking like one (or a combination) of these.

http://www.kharma.com/downloads/hq_pictures.htm

I've used Madisound before with great results. $40 for a 3-way and $25 for a 2-way design.
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Nice work. Enjoy the project and let us know if the completed product meets your expectations.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited May 2006
    Options
    How are you going to do the top? Steam bending? Kerfing? Lotta MDF + laminate?
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Moreants
    edited May 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    How are you going to do the top? Steam bending? Kerfing? Lotta MDF + laminate?

i'm going to frame it up and cover it with alum screening then Bondo. I'll make a profile form to keep things in line. Finishing not decided on yet.
  • Moreants
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Where did you get those cool looking "feet?"

The base I made out of 3/4" MDF.
    06.jpg 104.4K
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Moreants wrote:
    i'm going to frame it up and cover it with alum screening then Bondo. I'll make a profile form to keep things in line. Finishing not decided on yet.

I've never used bondo in a structural sense- just as filler. Will it resonate? Are you going to add some braces front to back to fix it to?
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Moreants
    edited May 2006
    Options
    unc2701 wrote:
    I've never used bondo in a structural sense- just as filler. Will it resonate? Are you going to add some braces front to back to fix it to?

I first rough out the walls with hardwood or sand-filled pvc then cover with screening before bondoing.. The inside walls are sprayed with undercoating and then lined with 1/2" carpet padding. Makes a heavy and very solid enclosure.

Btw, the top is sectioned off from the woofer cabinet. The pic below shows more detail. The x-over for mid/tweeter will mount on the board with the slanted front section which slides into aluminum rail and secures with 2 thumbscrews. Rear baffle will have an access door.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Very nice work! The photo's on the website are also very cool! The design where the cabinents are angled would make me crazy. I felt dizzy just looking at them. I'm interested to see the finished product and how you like the sound. Good luck!
    Carl

• basmoq
    basmoq Posts: 10
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Wow, that's some impressive work, wish I still had a shop to do this kind of stuff in. Couple more years to go and I'll get a house, then it's tool crazy...
  • Schris22
    Schris22 Posts: 983
    edited May 2006
    Options
    hah checked out that karma site. Trying to clone them, eh? Do they use the same drivers?

Great work so far hopefully you'll get some good sound out of them =)

Keep it up

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt
  • Moreants
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Updated pics
  • Moreants
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Mostly finished first one. Still deciding on wood veneer or not for top of sides.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Nice, very nice indeed. I've always wanted to venture into building speakers just never have the time.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Moreants
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Final design. Not like any of the Kharmas but combination of several.
  • Early B.
    edited June 2006
    Options
    That's freakin' gorgeous. Great job!!!

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Very impressive.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • Moreants
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments. They are a lot of work but I'm very happy with the outcome.

Now to finish the other one.:o
  • Early B.
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Got three questions --

It looks very professional. What kind of background do you have in building furniture or cabinets?

What did you use to get that shiny black coat on the speakers?

Once you're done, what is the total estimated cost?

• Moreants
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Early B. wrote:
    Got three questions --

It looks very professional. What kind of background do you have in building furniture or cabinets?

What did you use to get that shiny black coat on the speakers?

Once you're done, what is the total estimated cost?

1) None.

2) Front and rear are polished lacquer. Sides are reverse painted acrylic panels.

3) around $900.
  • garcianc2003
    garcianc2003 Posts: 20
    edited June 2006
    Options
    How do they sound?
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited June 2006
    Options
    holy hell man, those look sexy!!! Keep up the work. Now let us know how they sound.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Very, very nice work!

Which model of each driver are those?
  • Moreants
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Mazeroth wrote:
    Very, very nice work!

Which model of each driver are those?

All Seas drivers.. P21REX poly (now disc.), 15RCY and 27TBFC/G. Would have gone with 2 x 8" or a 10" if I could do it over. I may change out the woofer to an alum driver. Considering M8a which I hear good things about.
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Moreants wrote:
    All Seas drivers.. P21REX poly (now disc.), 15RCY and 27TBFC/G. Would have gone with 2 x 8" or a 10" if I could do it over. I may change out the woofer to an alum driver. Considering M8a which I hear good things about.

A lot cheaper alternative would be going with dual Dayton RS225s. They're cheaper and better than the Hi-Vi. You would be using them for bass/BSC duties, and they absolutely excel in that area. They have better low-end distortion measurments than even the Seas Excel drivers, which run almost $200 each! Also, they look absolutely amazing and would fit in extremely well with your cabinets.

Your tweeter is top-notch, probably the best tweeter you can buy for under $100. As for the mid, if you want things to match you could go with another Dayton RS driver, which are almost as good as the Seas Excel drivers in that department. However, if you want to make a statement, go for the Seas!
  • Moreants
    edited June 2006
    Options
    Mazeroth wrote:
    A lot cheaper alternative would be going with dual Dayton RS225s. They're cheaper and better than the Hi-Vi. You would be using them for bass/BSC duties, and they absolutely excel in that area. They have better low-end distortion measurments than even the Seas Excel drivers, which run almost $200 each! Also, they look absolutely amazing and would fit in extremely well with your cabinets.

Your tweeter is top-notch, probably the best tweeter you can buy for under $100. As for the mid, if you want things to match you could go with another Dayton RS driver, which are almost as good as the Seas Excel drivers in that department. However, if you want to make a statement, go for the Seas!

Well I finished both of them and my concern about lack of bass is gone. Moving them around a little and removing most of the polyfill helped. I am very happy with the sound from them.

Also putting them on the bases I made probably helped too. I ended up making the bases out of 2 layers of 1/2" mdf. The single 3/4" mdf wasn't going to be strong enough. The sandwiched ones are incredibly strong.
  • Sweeeezle
    Sweeeezle Posts: 28
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Very nice work man. congrats
    Mains - Polk SDA2A
    Center - Polk CSi3
    Surround - Polk Monitor 5jr+
    Sub - SVS ISDPB10

Onkyo TX-SR703
    Sony DVPNC85HB DVD Changer
    Monster HTS 3500 MKII