Amp for Marine Applications?

blobue
blobue Posts: 2
edited May 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just purchased two wake tower enclosurers loaded with polk MMC650's. I am looking to install an amp that can not only handle these two MMC650's but also a polk momo 10" Sub. Any suggestions on which amp would be best. I have been told by several people to only buy an amp with a coated circuit board for marine use. Is this true or can any amp stand up to the marine conditions. The boat will only be used in fresh water. and the amp would be installed below the passanger console.
Post edited by blobue on

Comments

• baby soles
    baby soles Posts: 11
    edited May 2006
    i need to know basically the same thing. i just bought four mmc525 to put in a pontoon boat and would like to know if i need to run an amp. i can say this, don't go with anything other than a marine amp. the problem you will have want be water getting the amp wet but the moisture that is on the boats floor. it doesn't matter where you put the amp moisture will circulate inside the boat. i'm not to familiar with amps but i think the CLARION APX480M 4 (under $200.00 on ebay)will do what we need it to do. although i like the POLK MOMO C400.4 4 i'm not sure it is a marine amp. good luck and i hope this will help! ! ! ! ! !
  • HiPerf360
    HiPerf360 Posts: 436
    edited May 2006
    The JL e6450M is a pretty nice amp, I have one in my boat for the mids/highs and it sounds good. You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay.
  • baby soles
    edited May 2006
    can you tell me if i would need to run 2/4/6 channels?
    also, is the JL e6450M or the POLK MOMO C400.4 4 marine grade amps?
    do you have dual batteries set up or one nice size deep cycle marine battery?
    ever have trouble killing the battery?
    thanks for replying ! ! ! !
  • Red230SX
    Red230SX Posts: 211
    edited May 2006
    I run a Kicker 700.5 (946 watts total with all channels driven at minimum ohm
    load) and it's not a marine amp. But I do not boat in salt water and it's mounted
    up under my port side dash where it can't get wet.

Some say in salt water the "Salt Air" can cause problems with non marine amps
    that have uncoated PC Boards. If you boat in primarily fresh water and you
    can mount the amp where it will be sheilded from rain and splash and still get
    ventilation I would say go for a non marine amp if you find something you
    like better than what is available in the "marine" market.

For battery power I run dual Northern Marine Group 26 Deep Cycle Batteries
    (1150 Cranking Amps, 850 Cold Cranking Amps, 120 Minute Reserve @ 25AMP
    draw).

My amp can suck a battery down in an hour if you have it blasting with all
    the channels driven. I don't have my subs in yet.. And at moderate volume
    levels it should not be a problem. I also have a Perko Make Before Break battery
    switch so one of my batteries will always be charged.
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited May 2006
    Last year we switched amps on a Correct Craft Air Nautique boat. The boats come with our Momo series MMC650s but use Clarion "Marine" amps. The boat was less than a year old but the terminals of the amps were pretty corroded. I didn't bother opening it up to check the inside. Our amps have been in since then, but I haven't seen them. I would guess that the terminals are as bad as the Clarion, but who knows.

I think JL's amp uses stainless terminal strips, so that probably makes a difference.
  • baby soles
    edited May 2006
    thanks for jumping in here guys!
    tha weather will soon be right and i'm just trying to get everything ready.
    i've installed car stereos before but never in a boat, so i'm just being a little cautious. thanks again! ! ! !
  • HiPerf360
    edited May 2006
    I run mine on four Optima blue tops and if I am going to be anchored for a while i will turn two of the batteries off just for safety but i still havent had a problem with them going down with just two.

The amps I pulled out of my boat were auto amps and were completly destroyed inside with corosion (Salt air). After seeing these I would go with marine unless you can protect it well and stay on the lakes.
  • Red230SX
    edited May 2006
    Yep like I said... Salt air.. BAD! I hate salt..

Sure that water looks pretty compared to what we river/lakes guys boat in
    but at least it ain't salt! :)
  • HiPerf360
    edited May 2006
    Red230SX wrote:
    Yep like I said... Salt air.. BAD! I hate salt..

Sure that water looks pretty compared to what we river/lakes guys boat in
    but at least it ain't salt! :)

Faster in the salt water too...

It does make it hard to jump in the lake after you come back from the ocean, my wife won't get in if she can't see her feet... unless she has had a few.
  • Red230SX
    edited May 2006
    Well on the flip side of that.. Aside from flesh eating bacteria in lakes and
    rivers... There are no SHARKS!!! (well, ok it has happened where sharks have
    entered fresh water rivers but it's rare!).

I won't swim in the ocean :)
  • HiPerf360
    edited May 2006