Is it my imagination, my ears or it is the speakers?

Options
crazy
crazy Posts: 443
edited May 2006 in 2 Channel Audio
So, I'm sitting and listening to my 2 channel setup at a very moderate volume (volume level = 30 on a Krell 400 Xi integrated amp)

Initially I feel that this level is extremely low and it would be more enjoyable listening at a slightly higher volume, but I resist turning the volume knob.

5-10 minutes go by and all of a sudden, I feel that the music has taken over the room and is extremely enjoyable at this rather moderate level. I don't have the urge to increase the volume any further and now all of a sudden this volume level seems just right.

So my question is, did my ears get used to listening to music at this moderate level or did the speakers "open-up"?

How could it be that at one moment I felt that the volume was way too low to enjoy the music and a few minutes later, the volume level felt just right?
Distant Dream - A New Beginning
www.distantdream.com
(Now also available on iTunes)
Post edited by crazy on

Comments

• mulveling
    mulveling Posts: 505
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It's a common phenomenon. The ear/barin system is extremely adaptable. While it's possible that your speakers spontaneously "opened" up or that a loose connection suddenly jiggled into place, it's vastly more likely that you just adapted to the sound level :)

Unfortunately it works the other way too - had you turned up the volume, then a few minutes later you might have been tempted to turn it up again, and then again, etc...
    Tannoy Dimension TD10, SOTA Star Sapphire, Heathkit W4A's, McIntosh MC2100, Eddie-Current Zana Deux, Singlepower SDS, Sennheiser HD650, Audio-Technica L3000, Sony Qualia 010
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I think there is a volume at which music just plays out correctly.. I personally don't like really loud music.. yeah once in a while.. but for the most part it's to be enjoyed at moderate levels.

What's your set up consist of?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I think the system warms up and everything just starts to work the way it is supposed to.
    My system tends to sound better after a chance to warm up but I play with the volume to much to notice if it gets louder or not.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2006
    Options
    On my 400Xi, the sweet listening level for me is between 35-42. At that level, I get all the details I need. Personally, I think the right volume level is depend on two things: the kind of genre of music you are listening to, and your mood at that time.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Its your imagination and your brain saying you don't need an upgrade yet :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Imagination.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2006
    Options
    You have a reference level. That is the level you expect to hear. It can be changed by listening lower or higher. When you are listening at this reference level the sound seems full and room filling. Less seems quiet and more seems loud. Just by being in a different area you can experience different reference levels. For example, you can expect a certain loudness in your bedroom and another in your favorite chair in the livingroom.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2006
    Options
    It makes sense with A-A/B amplifiers. At lower levels your amp is churning along in pure Class A mode. Alot of it has to do with your speakers low level articulation abilities as well.

I like to listen at levels that I think would represent the band playing in front of me, unamplified, by setting the volume realistically for the singer's loudness.

BUT...I do also enjoy very low level "midnight" listening, when background noise is zero.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I think it depends on the amp. For example, with Rotel amp, I don't find any diffrence, but Plinius.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Were you listening to the same song? Sometimes songs on the same CD are mixed differently at different studios by different engineers and at different volume levels. It's not uncommon for me to adjust the volume several times on the same CD. Also, some songs and some instruments sound better at relatively higher or lower volumes. For instance, I like horns at lower volumes and piano at higher volumes.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,094
    edited May 2006
    Options
    All of the above.

In all my components I look for excellent low level resolution. What you are hearing is a combination of all you listed, but I'm sure the Krell and the B & W's give great low level resolution regardless of your ears and brain getting used to it. Sometime sit and listen with the lights off, eyes closed at a very low level (really listening to everything). In a great system you should be able to hear all the nuances of each song as clearly and with as much coherence as you do listening at mid-levels. It's one of the hallmarks of a great system with great synergy!

Any componet or speaker you have to tuen up to get it to sound good isn't ideal and you should try to figure out what the problem is.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!