GTO install.

monaro_man
monaro_man Posts: 2
edited May 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi all.

I have a 2005 CV8Z Monaro (U.S. GTO) and am about to purchase a set of SR6500 splits for the front stage. If i use the standard speaker positions i.e. woofer in door and tweeter on dash am i going to suffer with frequency separation issues? Do i need to mount the tweets in the kicks? I am reluctant to do this as my car is a limited edition version and don't want to modify panels if possible. Any thoughts?

Cheers, Jason.
Post edited by monaro_man on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2006
    many people, including myself, have components mounted just that way... your vehicle has an integrated 6-disc changer, if i'm not mistaken... have you replaced that, or are you choosing to keep it? if you've replaced it, tuning will be MUCH easier, but it's still definitely possible to get good results without getting an aftermarket HU. in both cases, you'll have to spend a lot of time micro-adjusting the tweeter angle to maximise stage width and concentrate the image in the center. with an HU that has time alignment (TA), it's much easier - you simply adjust the tweeters to maximise the width, and use TA and the left/right balance to put the center exactly where you want it.

oh, what about amplification? it's impossible to really open the SRs up without an external amp... what are you doing there?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited May 2006
    You could give that a try. If the sound is not to your liking you could try reversing the phase on the tweeters to see if it helps. Sometimes this helps achieve a fuller sound when there is a good amount of seperation between the midrange driver and the tweeter.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • monaro_man
    monaro_man Posts: 2
    edited May 2006
    Standard HU is the blaupunkt 6 disc but will be going for sure. I am looking to compete in SQ with this car and am thinking of the new eclipse double din screen or a similar pioneer unit as i have a pioneer 6 dvd stacker from my last install and 3 eclipse 7211 7" monitors.

Amp wise i am thinking of Audio system F2 twister series. They have good power and cleanliness and relatively small for the output. Size is a big issue with this build as i will be a dad in august.

Any ideas for subs? I want to use the parcel tray with 8" if possible. Will not have to cut metal and can box between the fuel tank and tray to make a sealed enclosure. I am thinking of image dynamics idv3 dual 4 ohm or maybe JL. Any one heard the polk dual coil 8"?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2006
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2006
    i believe macleod has had the 8" in his vehicle; the ID comes highly reccommended from poweredbydodge, and the JL is revered by mac and hated by exalted512...

i am personally of the opinion that you could be happy with any of them; i think you should try and get a listen to all three, and choose from there (make sure you do your listening tests is consistent conditions - if you hear the JL in a small sealed box, and the ID in a good ported box, youll probably like the ID better no matter what)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2006
    I currently have the Momo 10 but I did have a MTX 8 before.

As for your selections, neither will be a wrong choice. JL, ID and Polk all make excellent subs but I prefer the sound of the Polks. They sound smoother to me.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D