mods / tweaks for rt600i

Options
CharlieB
CharlieB Posts: 3
edited May 2006 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I am new to the forum and want to improve my rt600i speakers. My audio systems uses a Toshiba 3950 via and Art Di/o DAC to an AKSA 55N amp. Whenever, I get a case of upgrade'itis, I try to improve the weak link in my system. Right now, I expect that my speakers are the weak link, although I am very pleased with their sound.

So, has anyone in the forum done any mods to their rt600i speakers? Did the mods work? Are they worth doing?

I would appreciate any advice.

Charlie
Post edited by CharlieB on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited May 2006
    Options
    sorry to say this.. but the weak link is not your RT600i speakers.. it's your Toshiba 3950 player.

Charlie, what are you trying to accomplish? Why do you think your RT600i's are weak? Is this for music or movies or both.

Honestly, I don't think any "tweaks" would improve the 600i's. If you need more bass or loudness, then move up to a larger floorstanding speaker.

Oh yeah. welcome to Club Polk.

stick around.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited May 2006
    Options
    That Toshiba is very well regarded for 2 channel use, along the same lines as the 3960...

Not sure about any mods on the speakers, can't think of anything off-hand you'd improve.
  • frodaddy
    frodaddy Posts: 124
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Cables maybe? I noticed a big difference when I started using HD14 (home depot extension cord) for speaker wire. Some people here frown on this, and I was skeptical until I tried it.
    Fronts: DIY Statements from htguide.com
    Center: DIY custom Statement center from htguide.com
    Surrounds: Four DIY custom Mini Statements
    Wire: HD-14
    Receiver: Denon AVR-4806 + CI upgrade
    Amps: Dual Emotiva LPA-1's
    Sub: Infinite Baffle: 8 fiCarAudio IB315 woofers, Behringer DSP1124P EQ, Elemental Designs eQ.2, Dual EP4000 amps
    Transducers: 2 buttkicker LFE's, BK amp, EQ'd w/DSP1124p
    DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2 / PS3
    TV: Samsung 1080p 61" DLP
  • danger boy
    edited May 2006
    Options
    i'm sorry. but i am under the opinion and some personal knowledge that a $49 DVD player isn't going to sound that great. I own one of them. It's ok... but put up against another player or seperate CD player... and it loses every time IMHO.

How many $49 CD or DVD players can you honestly say sound as good as say a $200 player? For the price. i'd say it's ok for casual viewing or listening to. but for critical viewing or listening to. no way Jose.

AND when I'm watching or listening to something.. if I know what i'm using can be improved upon by easily replacing it.. i'm not going to be happy listening to an inferior player. I wouldn't be able to do any critical listening or viewing... i'd keep thinking to myself... I know that graininess is not usually there.

sorry for being so pissy tonight. I had a kitchen accident tonight and dinner was ruined. :mad:
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Danger:
    Bummer on dinner. I know how it is to have a picture in your mind of what you are cooking and then flub something up. :(
    As to the 3950/3960 it seems there are some pretty polarized opinions on them out there. I have seen them compared to $300 players, and several of the big mod houses were dressing them up and claiming they matched the very high end Sonys.
    I would tend to be of the opinion also that the build quality could not have been good. You just can't put a good transport/power supply/capcitors etc in a unit for that price.
    I have also read reviews on it from owners who said while the video was decent the audio was poor. "shrug"

At any rate CharlieB I am sure a decent upgrade at that level should improve your system.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • CharlieB
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Thank-you for all the replies. Indeed, my audio system is not of the highest quality. However, I do know a couple of things:

1. Don't think that a $50 DVD is junk. Do a search of the audio sites and you'll find a number of tweakers who rave about the unit (for it's price and tweakability). When compared to a $300 Sony DVD player. I was sceptical, but even my wife was surprised by the difference even when both a run using Digital Out to a separate DAC. Consequently, I prefer using the Toshiba for 2-channel audio, while I stick with the Sony for movies. As for a comparison against, say a higher end Denon.

2. I have upgraded cables for the speakers to ones made out of 3 braided bundles of Cat 5 cable. This was a cheap improvement, and it was noticeable in widening the soundstage perception of the speakers and tightening the bass.

3. Another noticeable improvement came from upgrading the power cable to my amp from an 18AWG computer cable to a home-made cable using 12AWG wiring, and better connectors. Again, the difference was clearly noticeable in the bass, which became more powerful, but not mushy.

So, I am left with modifications to my system that include speakers and/or source, although improved interconnects may make a difference. Given the option of investing in an expensive set of speakers or CD player, and that of cheaply tweaking my current speakers / CD-player. I would prefer to do the latter. Hence the post.

Of course my other option is to build a set of speakers (maybe GR-research floorstanders) and buy a new CD-player, but that'll also have to wait.

Anyway, thank-you for your replies and opinions.

Charlie
  • danger boy
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I think everyone wants that $50 to sound better than it actually does.. who wouldn't want a giant killer for that price? but once you compare it to another player, the it usually can't hold it's own.

If a $50 player is what someone considers to be "it" for 2 ch audio, then more power to ya. I tried it, and it wasn't all that to me.

Anyway, lets get back on track.. the question was what mods can be done to the RT600i's to improve their sound?

I got nothing. Unless you're a sound engineer, modding them would probably defeat any improvement you could do yourself.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2006
    Options
    well if your using the standard biwire strap shipped with the 600 then replace it with better jumpers. You could always bi wire or bi amp the speaker as well. I'm in the bi amp corner and never really heard much of a difference while tweaking my 800i's...
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2006
    Options
    danger boy wrote:
    sorry to say this.. but the weak link is not your RT600i speakers.. it's your Toshiba 3950 player.

+1 Ed Zachry. Charlie, not dissing your stuff, the 3950 is a good performer--but it's far from a giant slayer. I've got one and it does a respectable job, but there are better for not a whole lot more money.
    Upgrade your transport, then see if you feel like you need to tweak the 600's. I found that my entry level Panasonic DVD (about 5 yrs old--no mods) had better CD playback than my 3960. Grab a Cambridge Azur 540 on sale, you'll be glad you did.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited May 2006
    Options
    CharlieB wrote:
    My audio systems uses a Toshiba 3950 via and Art Di/o DAC
    Guys, he's using a seperate DAC. The Art Di/o is supposed to be very good for the price. Another one of those tweaker dream machines. I've read good things about this DAC. So don't all gang up on his souce...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • CharlieB
    edited May 2006
    Options
    You know what the ideal solution to all this would be? The opportunity to home-audition high end audio gear and compare them side-by-side while not being harranged by over enthusiastic sales staff on commission.

Of course my source isn't a giant-killer, but I reckon that combination of the Toshiba and Art Di/o gives a synergism that cannot be beaten for their combined price (approx $200).

Anyway, given the fact that my amp is not the weak link in my audio chain, improvements need to involve the weaker components - source and/or speakers.

My rt600's aren't bi-wireable (maybe they're not 600i's). Has anyone looked into replacing crossover components with better quality ones, or even changed some of the specs? Such modifications ought to be pretty straightforward to make, although I have never tried opening the speaker boxes to find out.

Once again, I thank all of you for your comments and suggestions.

Charlie