questions about sound deadoning

polkology
polkology Posts: 14
edited June 2006 in Car Audio & Electronics
hey guys i was able to pick up 40 sq feet of sound deadning by tsunami audio, i want to gradually sound deaden the entire vehicle as funds come in , (acura integra 1999), i have 2 projects that i wanna do and they bother require me to complete sound deadning b4 i take them up. first i have rsx seats that i want to get installed and have my carpet covered with vinyl kinda like how they have them on taxi's. the other project is speaker box in the spare tire compartment which also requires me to complete the sound deadening b4 i take it up because both projects will not b able to be reversable without some damage im wondering if 40sq feet wil be enough for either the floor or the trunk or neither
thanx
Post edited by polkology on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2006
    I don't know specifically how much your car needs, but I am also curious if there's something like a fitting guide out there for sound deadening products to indicate how much sq ft is needed per model.......anyone know?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2006
    not really, because there's no such thing as too much (perhaps cody is pushing that limit, though). i can completely understand wanting to finish the deadining before the seat replacement and the sub box installation, but neither of these should be irreversible operations...

in any case, 40 square feet is a 6'x4' sheet and 2 2'x4' sheets... the first for the trunk and one each of the second for around the feet of the front people. it certainly won't cover everything, i'd say you'd neet another 40-60 square feet to really get everything covered (more for doors or engine compartment), and you could go another layer or two on top of that and still see benefits.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • brettw22
    edited May 2006
    The number of layers could change, but the square footage wouldn't change.......it'd at least be a good basis point to work from for people not accustomed to this particular mod.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2006
    the square footage covered wouldn't change, but the square footage of deadener required certainly would... is that what you meant?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • brettw22
    edited May 2006
    I don't know.......i'm lost......

If i have a 2001 Honda Accord, and my car has 45 sq ft(guessing) of interior floor area, then I know I have to shop for 45 sq ft of the stuff. That number won't change, but I'd probably order 50-55 to be sure I had enough to cover everything. If i just ordered 36 because it eyeballed to be 6x6, then I'd be short.

If I wanted to double layer, then I'd get at least 90, etc etc......I'd think there should be some sort of guideline, but who knows.......
  • polkology
    polkology Posts: 14
    edited May 2006
    okay that is a fine guideline, since im gonna do everything slowyly, like a little bit at a time so im gonna use the 40 sq feet that i have for the interior floor actually i have 44 sq feet and the integra is a smaller than the accord so i should be ok thanx guys
  • brettw22
    edited May 2006
    Dude, I have no idea what the interior size is in my car (thuis the word "guessing" in parentheses)......but good luck.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2006
    if youre wanting to do the trunk. Trunk as in the entire floor, side walls, and lid(or in your case, the hatch), youll be looking at about 100 sq ft.

The floor is probably a lot closer to 50-60.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tugboat
    tugboat Posts: 393
    edited May 2006
    If you want to increase the dB level while taking away those annoying rattles and resonant sounds, you need to not only cover the floor and trunk, but remove the door panels and cover the door, remove the headliner and cover the roof, etc... In a worse case senario, you'll need to remove the fenders and cover the inside of them and track down any part that might rattle.

Of course with gas prices being what they are, you can expect to use more of it with all the added weight. I've seen cars with over 300 lbs of Dynamat. Sounds great inside and out, but it's like driving two passengers all the time. Oh well.
    Driver carries only 20 dollars in ammunition

Pedestrians have the right of way, unless they are in the way
  • basmoq
    basmoq Posts: 10
    edited May 2006
    I just got 100 square feet, I'm going for the doors and trunk first, then I'll deal with the floor if there is enough left
  • Bran
    Bran Posts: 8
    edited June 2006
    Hey....It doesnt look like it was in this post but, has anyone used the roofing stuff instead of the dynamat?? I read someone on here talking about a product called ice shield.....I used it, but its putting out an oder when the car is warm (sitting in the sun). Does dynamat also smell alittle bit??

Bran
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2006
    Ive heard the roofing stuff (Peel N Seal) doesnt work very well for car applications and I dont remember Dynamat smelling. Thats a new one.

Dynamat is ridiculously overpriced. You can get it off of Ebay at more realistic prices.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • hexon
    hexon Posts: 38
    edited June 2006
    I used the tsunami silencer on my Nissan Maxima trunk. I got 20 sq. feet from circuit city for about $70. It was enought to cover the trunk lid, a few places on the trunk floor, and a few places on the walls that vibrated. Afterwards, the rattling trunk lid stopped but I could still her a little bit of vibration from somewhere, but I think it was the crappy lightning audio sub that was blown. I'll have to see what it sounds like when I install my db212-2.

I have a teacher that used the roofing stuff in his trunk with is JL's. I am not sure how it sounded because he never has the subs up lound enough to hear them outside the car, either that or the roofing stuff works really well.
    SHIFT_LOUD

polkaudio db675
    polkaudio db212-2
    Kenwood KAC-9102D 500 watts @ 4 ohms (850 watts @ 2 ohms)
    Sony 444watt amp

trunksig29ip.th.jpg
  • hexon
    hexon Posts: 38
    edited June 2006
    concerning my last post, Dont get tsunami. It is only good for low power subs. Add good subs, and it will still sound like a rattling coke can.
    SHIFT_LOUD

polkaudio db675
    polkaudio db212-2
    Kenwood KAC-9102D 500 watts @ 4 ohms (850 watts @ 2 ohms)
    Sony 444watt amp

trunksig29ip.th.jpg
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited June 2006
    Bran wrote:
    Hey....It doesnt look like it was in this post but, has anyone used the roofing stuff instead of the dynamat?? I read someone on here talking about a product called ice shield.....I used it, but its putting out an oder when the car is warm (sitting in the sun). Does dynamat also smell alittle bit??

Bran

I used Dynamat Xtreme, and noticed no smell whatsoever.

I've heard bad things about automotive use of the roofing stuff- both with odour, and with the adhesive letting go when exposed to typical in-car temperatures.

On the bright side, if you take the stuff out of your car on a hot day it should come right out. Lacquer thinner would probably clean up the residue.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
    Sound Deadener Showdown
  • huggies
    huggies Posts: 149
    edited June 2006
    Go with SecondSkin products. As good or better as Dynamat, at a much better price point. Dynamat doesn't smell, neither does the SecondSkin. However, roofing products based on an asphalt like peel and seal will smell for quite awhile. I've got over a hundred square feet of SecondSkin Damplifier and a gallon of Sludge in my Ranger and have no smell what so ever. But it's alot quieter than it used to be, with much better midbass.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    Second Skin FTW!

Also Dynamat can be had for decent prices on Ebay as Mac has stated.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited June 2006
    I am not into competition, but I used 2 sets of speaker kits from Dynamat and I can turn my volume up until it hurts the ears, and when I get out and shut the doors, all you hear is a small amount of music outside. I notice the driver's side and rear view mirrors vibrating but no sound. I mainly listen to metal and hard rock. The new TOOL Cd is pretty good and I still don't have the "Boom Truck" sound on the outside.
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited June 2006
    The threshold of pain is a clear indication that you are listening to your music too loud. Just be careful so that you can keep enjoying your tunes ;).
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • hrdhtdvr
    edited June 2006
    I don't really listen to it that loud. Just when I got everything set up, I had to do the natural thing and flex the muscles a bit;)
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Klipsch Speakers
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • hrdhtdvr
    edited June 2006
    Hey, I just went over 50 posts and up to Polkster. Woooo Hoooo!
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Klipsch Speakers