New headunit

13»

Comments

• hrdhtdvr
    hrdhtdvr Posts: 103
    edited August 2006
    Just wondering here. I always get the crutchfield magazine and see Blaupunkt. Are they worth a crap any more? I think I remember them being one of the must haves in the 80s and 90s.
    Alpine 9855 hu
    Polk/Momo MMC 460 (Rear)
    Polk/Momo MMC 6500 (Front)
    Polk/Momo MM 2104 Sub
    Amp: JL 500/5
    Wires: Street Wires
    Sat Radio: Sirius PNP
    Mitsubishi HS-U577
    Toshiba -SD1700 DVD player
    Klipsch Speakers
    Center: RC-7
    L&R:KLF-20
    Surrounds:RS-3
    Sub: KSW-15
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited August 2006
    check out the kenwood excelon kdc-x990. this is a very nice head unit with very nice features. it cound be had for alot less than $450. 5 volt front, rear and sub outputs, aux. input for ipod or you can control off the unit and wolfson d/a converters. sounds great.

Product Description:

CD player with built-in amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
    Detachable, motorized, fold-down face with customizable graphics
    4096 Color (Full-color), Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) Motion display with built-in screensavers/backgrounds (see more pictures)
    Plays CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3s, WMAs, and AAC files
    AC Drive provides spoken announcement of MP3 and WMA file names
    Graphic Motion Analyzer displays vehicle performance specs
    System Q EX sound controls
    Installer/User/Backup Memory of Audio Setup
    Built-in DSP: DTA/System Q-ex (4 band P-EQ)/Digital E's+/SRS WOW Digital Effect
    4-band parametric EQ
    SRS WOW with three settings for wide soundfield, enhanced bass, and soundstage focus
    High-quality oxygen-free copper cables on preamp outputs and auxiliary input
    Installer Memory recalls audio settings
    Satellite radio-ready (tuner, subscription and antenna required and not included)
    HD Radio-ready (separate tuner box required)
    Compatible with Kenwood iPod control interface KCA-ip500
    CD changer controls
    3 preamp outputs, 5 volts
    Dual-zone audio control sends different signals to the front and rear speaker outputs
    O.D.D. (Offset Dual Differential) D/A System for Sound Quality
    CR-2 tuner
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited August 2006
    hrdhtdvr wrote:
    Just wondering here. I always get the crutchfield magazine and see Blaupunkt. Are they worth a crap any more? I think I remember them being one of the must haves in the 80s and 90s.
    no...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • DaveSal
    DaveSal Posts: 15
    edited August 2006
    I recently bought the P880 -- very happy w/it so far. Lots of sound-shaping capabilities, and it looks great too!

Has anyone tried the time-alignment feature on this unit? Can't seem to get mine right. Even though I carefully measured the speaker distances and double-checked my settings, instrument placement across the stage is nowhere near where it should be. The image seems to jump around the stage as the frequency of the singer or instrument changes. Front speakers are coax mounted, so distance between mid-bass/tweeters shouldn't be an issue given that they're right on top of eachother.
    Pioneer 880PRS
    Polk C300.2
    MB Quart PCE 216
    Alpine MRP 350
    Polk GNX 104
  • 1996blackmax
    1996blackmax Posts: 2,436
    edited August 2006
    Where are your speakers located, are they in the doors? I think moving the tweeter up near the A-pillar would help.
    Alpine: CDA-7949
    Alpine: PXA-H600
    Alpine: CHA-S624, KCA-420i, KCA-410C
    Rainbow: CS 265 Profi Phase Plug / SL 165
    ARC Audio: 4150-XXK / 1500v1-XXK
    JL Audio: 10W6v2 (x2)
    KnuKonceptz
    Second Skin
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2006
    DaveSal wrote:
    Has anyone tried the time-alignment feature on this unit? Can't seem to get mine right. Even though I carefully measured the speaker distances and double-checked my settings, instrument placement across the stage is nowhere near where it should be. The image seems to jump around the stage as the frequency of the singer or instrument changes. Front speakers are coax mounted, so distance between mid-bass/tweeters shouldn't be an issue given that they're right on top of eachother.

Thats not a problem with time alignment but rather phasing and on/off axis response.

If your speakers are in the doors then youre more on axis with the right speaker than the left and the higher frequencies are coming at you more intensely than from the left so those frequencies pull to the right. Likewise some frequencies are coming at you from the left with more intensity than from the right so those will pull to the left. This is why speaker placement is so important and doors are a horrible spot for em.

On top of all this you could also have some phasing issues at certain frequencies. Try flipping the polarity of one tweeter at a time and see if that changes anything.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D