Rating Monitor 10's

Options
cubdog
cubdog Posts: 835
edited May 2006 in Vintage Speakers
I have a chance to purchase a pair of Monitor 10B's locally. They are in very good condition and are priced about $180 which seems a bit high but with no shipping not a terrible price I suppose. I got to thinking about the various Monitor models how they rate. I imagine the earliest models with the Peerless tweets are best. After that which are most desirable? I currently own a pair of Monitor 7B's as well as Series 2 Monitor 12's and like both of those. Any thoughts? Thanks.

cubdog
Shuguang Classic S8MK
Emotiva XDA-2
Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
Bel Canto DAC 1.5
Squeezebox Touch
Sony SS-M7
A/D/S L710
Post edited by cubdog on

Comments

• cubdog
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Sorry guys if I would have opened my eyes I could have seen a similar question already being discussed. However if anyone cares to elaborate further please do so.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • dan152
    dan152 Posts: 27
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Options
    I'm probably a bit spoiled since I got my 12's for $200 and they are mint. They were also local to me which further sweetened that deal.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • dcmeigs
    dcmeigs Posts: 707
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Just something to consider, while the 10s are certainly very good speakers, I have bought two sets of SDA-2s in the last year for less money than that, about $110 average. The cabinets needed a little work but they look great now. It's just my humble opinion (and I only say this on accounta I'm wearing Nomex boxers) but I prefer the SDA 2s to the 10s. I'd either want those at a lower price or keep looking for a good set of SDAs. Or do both, you can never have too much audio equipment unless it's moving day. And yes, local is the only way to go!
    The world is full of answers, some are right and some are wrong. - Neil Young
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Great speakers. That price is just a tad on the high side so it depends how much you want them. It is not a bad price, but they pop up on EBAY in the 100-150 range from time to time.
    Obviously if you could find SDA's at that price it's a no brainer. Dcmeigs apparently has been in the right place a couple times, the price he paid is well below average for SDA's depending on the amount of work they needed.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited May 2006
    Options
    I think they're high as well and at VG....I don't think so. Great speaker, but if you've owned a couple key Monitor series, you've owned enough.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dcmeigs
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Zen Dragon wrote:
    the price he paid is well below average for SDA's depending on the amount of work they needed.

Good point. Full disclosure: The first pair were the upgraded cabinets with grill cloth on the sides and 3/4" oak top and bottom. The oak was all fouled up with stains and looked like hell. I spent about $60 on mahogany veneer, contact cement and stain and quite a few enjoyable hours, but they look killer now and they match my other furniture so the WAF is just huge in spite of their size. Moral of too long story: truely fine cabinets can justify a higher price.
  • cubdog
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Well I bought the 10's for $180. They are in nice shape and since I live in Denver unless I find them local on ebay I will pay another $50.00 in shipping at least. I am using them for rear channel speakers in my HT. Probably overkill but with 12's and 7's for my fronts I wanted to stay in the family. SDA's would be nice but right now I happy with Dalhquist DQ-10's for my 2 channel setup. All in all I'm happy with the purchase. Thanks for the feedback.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited May 2006
    Options
    cubdog wrote:
    I am using them for rear channel speakers in my HT. Probably overkill but with 12's and 7's for my fronts I wanted to stay in the family.

12's and 7's for the fronts! Good god man the 12's kick plenty of sound on their own. You could have easily run the 12's front and 7's rear and had great sound.
    Just curious what it is about both pair up front that you like.
    Enjoy the 10's by the way.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • dcmeigs
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Cubdog, check out ebay for a pair of what look like 10s for 99 cents. It's a wierd deal though. The dude is on a road trip and they will end up in Minnesota I think. It might work for you if you have a contact along his route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-FLOOR-SPEAKERS-11-X-16-X-28_W0QQitemZ9723011899QQcategoryZ71571QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • cubdog
    edited May 2006
    Options
    Zen Dragon wrote:
    12's and 7's for the fronts! Good god man the 12's kick plenty of sound on their own. You could have easily run the 12's front and 7's rear and had great sound.
    Just curious what it is about both pair up front that you like.
    Enjoy the 10's by the way.
    I've always used 4 speakers up front. My Yamaha reciever allows for it and I always seem to have plenty of speakers around. I like the way 4 speakers broaden the front soundstage. Also, the transition between left, center, and front is nice. I have stacked subs as well. I'm pretty happy with my HT. ;)

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710