dan152 Posts: 27
    edited April 2006
    Options
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Of course they can be repaired-

Whether or not it's economical depends on what's wrong with it, and whether or not you have the skills necessary to repair it.

Jason
  • Zen Dragon
    Zen Dragon Posts: 501
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Very repairable if you have the skill and knowledge as Jason said.
    Depending on the age of your Polks it's the only option in some cases as many of the older models have crossovers which are no longer manufactured.
    The Family
    Polk SDA-1C's
    Polk SDA-2
    Polk Monitor 10B's
    Polk LSI-9's
    Polk Monitor 5's
    Polk 5 jr's
    Polk PSW-450 Sub
    Polk CSI40 Center

Do not one day come to die, and discover you have not lived.
    This is pretty f***ed up right here.
  • dan152
    dan152 Posts: 27
    edited April 2006
    Options
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited April 2006
    Options
    bannanawho wrote:
    can a bad crossover be repaired?

Yes, and welcome to CP. :)

If you could tell us the model speaker that's involved, maybe we can be of more help. The newer Polks have replacement crossovers available for them. The older Polks do not. A lot of us here in CP repair and upgrade our older crossovers ourselves. It's not rocket science. ;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited April 2006
    Options
    The crossovers for all the Monitor/RTA/SDA series have not been available for years. The good news is that they can be repaired.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• OLDPOLKS5
    OLDPOLKS5 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think I have a bad center speaker crossover. RM2600 CENTER. Crossover is RE6406-1. I have 2 of these speakers. They both read zero ohms at the terminals. I have an esr meter MESR but not sure how to use it. Caps are 8mfd 50V and 409MFD 50V. I pulled the 8mfd cap out and kind of mashed it a bit. It was glued. Dont know how to test. By the way all speakers have sound. Thanks.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    You can't have zero ohms at the binding posts and have a speaker that produces sound.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk